Porsche Belfast

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Eric McKinley
356 Fan

Porsche Belfast

#1 Post by Eric McKinley »

I took this picture this morning of the new Porsche dealership and workshop in Belfast.

This has to be one of the most iconic Porsche garages, in the shadow of the shipyard.

I have a connection to the shipyard, my grandfather and my father both worked here during the heydays of the yard.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Belfast

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I take it that is a construction crane on the left? What is at the bottom? Wheels, or is it assembled in one spot attached to the ground? I have not seen that style here.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Eric McKinley »

Martin,

That is no construction crane, you are looking at Goliath, Samson is just out of view.

These 2 shipyard cranes are iconic permanent landmarks of the shipyard in Belfast.

The titanic centre is just out of site to the left and the old boat painting shed which is huge is also just out of the picture, this now doubles as the film set where the game of thrones television series is filmed.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'd have "PORSCHE" painted vertically on Goliath or at least paint it red!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

You will have to drive your Grey Ghost there when they and you are finished with your builds. I keep looking for a glimpse of your Church House when I watch GOT. But I think they only film in the North.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Smith »

Iconic indeed. Thanks for posting Eric.
Attachments
95f92e63b11347ee9a3d33735a40d30b.jpg
Bruce Smith

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

That is just WONDERFUL, thank you so much for posting this Eric. ...........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#8 Post by Neil Bardsley »

EricMcKinley wrote:Martin,

That is no construction crane, you are looking at Goliath, Samson is just out of view.

These 2 shipyard cranes are iconic permanent landmarks of the shipyard in Belfast.

The titanic centre is just out of site to the left and the old boat painting shed which is huge is also just out of the picture, this now doubles as the film set where the game of thrones television series is filmed.
Thank you for sharing.

I find the naming of the cranes strange Goliath being a philistine that was killed by a young boy with a stone (or maybe it was later when David cut off his head?). Samson being a man who betrayed his secret to a women then committed suicide? I don't see that either figure ended well :( If they are insistent on Old Testament names how about Ruth or Job? Better for steadfastness?

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric McKinley »

Here is a picture I have at home showing both the cranes.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Interesting wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_an ... h_(cranes)

Tested at 1,000 tons before commisioning! I'm guessing that is an Imperial Ton? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_ton

ray nelson
356 Fan

#11 Post by ray nelson »

Not to be a smart ass but that is technically a "Gantry Crane"
Reminds me of a project I once had, The early 20th century building had 2 floors of cast iron "library shelving" The building needed to be recommissioned and the shelving removed. The cost of disassembling the "shelving" and cutting it up to remove it from the building through the elevator or stairs greatly exceeded the value of the scrap iron. The project was then scrapped. At some point the value or the iron or the space should have eventually made it feasible. Maybe by now it may have been done, it was within blocks of the White House!

Ray