Trying to match original Fawn Leatherette interior

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Waite
356 Fan

Trying to match original Fawn Leatherette interior

#1 Post by Bill Waite »

Our '65 356C is finally in for paint (original Irish Green). I am having a bit of trouble finding a new Fawn Leatherette interior that matches the original color and texture of the material.

Our original door panels are in very good condition, and if I can get a close enough match for the seats, etc I'd like to reinstall those panels.
ORIG PSGR DOOR PANEL100.JPG
I requested Fawn Leatherette samples from Auto's International, but the ones I've received thus far are not a good match. I am sending a sample of the original material (cut from a non-faded spot under the back seat rear panel) and they are going to try again.
356 FAWN (A.I.) SAMPLES3.JPG
While I wait for more samples, I am hoping someone recently sourced a new Fawn interior that matched the original well. In the past, I have seen redone Fawn interiors that seemed to match more or less perfectly. If so, it would be very helpful to learn of the source, manufacturer or sample code of the Fawn Leatherette interior.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Trying to match original Fawn Leatherette interior

#2 Post by David Jones »

Bill, I bought new seat covers from Stoddard because the originals were torn and very holey, then years later when I did the interior I bought a rear bulkhead panel from these folks. http://www.khupholstery.com
My door panels are the originals and the match is more than acceptable for my eyes. I will send pictures when I can remember to take some if you want.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bill Waite »

Update: Carolina Gonzalez at Auto's International found a very good match to the original leatherette (vinyl): IND8607 - Independence 2 Enduratex / "Chocolate." It is the larger sample in the photos, below. If leather is your preference, Tony Garcia at Autobahn Interiors has an excellent match: A-4106 Bourbon / Euro Autolux Leather (smaller sample below). It is hard to capture the colors precisely due to reflections, but when viewed in daylight both are very close to the original Fawn Leatherette.
FAWN LEATHERETTE101.JPG
FAWN LEATHERETTE100.JPG
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Excellent find Bill. Thanks for posting this.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#5 Post by Jim Liberty »

If you are looking for a match for the door panels, why would you send a sample that has been out of the sun for years. Send a garnish rail or something similar. Carolina at Autos is great at helping with these issues.
Jim Liberty

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Waite »

Jim,

I am thinking that I may not have stated my latest posting in the best way. The sample I sent to Autos International was a piece cut from the back of the rear panel (below the rear window). That piece was part of the original interior that was not exposed to sunlight over the years. The sample I sent to her was exactly like the original door panels (which I am going to re-use). In other words, the door panels appear to be unchanged from original... no fading or discoloration, etc. The vinyl sample that she sent to me matches (very well) the original door panels, plus the original rear seat bottoms and backs that are in very good condition and will be retained.

Am I not understanding your message properly?

Bill
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

Bill, my error, and no disrespect intended. You are on the right track, with the right people. Sorry for the confusion. .....Jim.
Jim Liberty

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bill Waite »

Thanks, Jim. No problem whatsoever. My initial "issue" getting a good match makes me think that perhaps someone should start a "sticky" thread suggesting good matches they have recently found with original vinyl "leatherette" and leather materials. In the case of the Fawn Leatherette, I heard from a number of owners who found the samples readily available from the "usual sources" too dark.

Regards,

Bill
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

The problem with that Bill, is that there are dozens of vinyl manufacturers out there. I've used the same upholsterer for many years. He has books from many suppliers to choose from. The second issue is dye lot. The rolls change from lot to lot. Just like leather, and carpet. I like to buy extra of both on a new installation just in case of an accident with the interior. Most especially with corduroy, and leather. I try to end up with an extra hide, and a few yards extra. Vinyl is even more of a bargain. Cheap insurance.
Jim Liberty

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Gaddy »

Like Bill Waite, I never found a vinyl leatherette to match the original fawn. After searching for several years, I ended up having some vinyl dyed to match my original. If anyone is interested, I have some extra.
Just send me an email and I will follow up with you.

Bill Waite
356 Fan

Re: Trying to match Fawn Leatherette interior (CORRECTED)

#11 Post by Bill Waite »

CORRECTIONS HAVE BEEN MADE, BELOW:

Hi Steve,

I did find a vinyl that was an excellent match to our '65 356C original fawn leatherette: IND 8607 vinyl (Independence 2 / Chocolate). One online supplier of the material by the yard is: http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com

Link to specific material: http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/p ... d8607.html Just $11.95 per yard. However, there are many other samples that look (at least online) like they might be a good match. For example, some can be found on these pages, and others:

http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/c ... s/Montana/

http://www.upholsterysupplyonline.com/c ... ls/Sierra/

Bill
Last edited by Bill Waite on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Gaddy »

That's great Bill. They sent me samples but I never found a match to satisfy me.

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Gaddy »

Now I understand Bill. You found a good match in leather. I wanted to match the original vinyl.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Bill Waite wrote:Update: Carolina Gonzalez at Auto's International found a very good match to the original leatherette (vinyl): IND8607 - Independence 2 Enduratex / "Chocolate." It is the larger sample in the photos, below. If leather is your preference, Tony Garcia at Autobahn Interiors has an excellent match: A-4106 Bourbon / Euro Autolux Leather (smaller sample below). It is hard to capture the colors precisely due to reflections, but when viewed in daylight both are very close to the original Fawn Leatherette.
FAWN LEATHERETTE101.JPG
FAWN LEATHERETTE100.JPG
Bill posted the vinyl used to match and also included leather match that Tony Garcia of Autobahn interiors recently matched.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.