Drautz Badge color

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
PatrickLtjens
356 Fan

Drautz Badge color

#1 Post by PatrickLtjens »

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if there where different badge colors for the Drautz badges. I know European and US delivered cars had different badges, but all seem to be with a gold background. Stoddart's et al only have badges with the gold background for sale.
My '61 Roadster (US delivery) has a grey/white background on the badge, see pic.

Original? bad Repro? Any ideas?

Patrick
Attachments
lateral-drautz.jpg
—————————
Patrick Lütjens

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: Drautz Badge color

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

In googling "karosseriewerke drauz badge" it appears that the badges were color coded as to where the car was destined to be delivered.
Greg Bryan

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

Badges had a gold background but this faded with sun exposure and left them more silver colored. Also, Drauz used slotted screws instead of rivets to secure the badge to the body.
Chuck House
Southern California

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bill Oldham »

Chuck, that’s the first time I heard that (screws not rivets). Is that true for all Drauz bodies?
Does any sell those screws? Brad?

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Chuck House »

Bill Oldham wrote:Chuck, that’s the first time I heard that (screws not rivets). Is that true for all Drauz bodies?
Does any sell those screws? Brad?
Bill,

I can't say with certainty that's it's true for all Drauz bodies but all truly unrestored Drauz cars I've seen have screws holding the badges. Most seem to have brass pan head slotted screws which probably had a silver coating similar to the older rivets used on Reutter badges. However I've also seen round head slotted screws which look to have been cad plated. Here is a link to a page on the Convertible D Registry which shows some photos.

http://www.convertibledregistry.com/fac ... adges.html
Chuck House
Southern California

PatrickLtjens
356 Fan

#6 Post by PatrickLtjens »

Most other drautz cars i‘ve seen had screws instead of rivets. Also, there was always a trace of the gold background still visible, especially around the screws. Not so on mine
—————————
Patrick Lütjens

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#7 Post by John Hearn »

http://www.convertibledregistry.com/fac ... adges.html

Checking out the link that Chuck gave us shows two different type of heads.
Chuck's original car showed DIN 96 half round headed screws whereas the other two illustrations show a more flat topped round headed screw similar to a DIN 85 form which is described as a slotted pan head.
Appreciate any feed back....
KTF
John

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#8 Post by Scott McAdams »

Patrick,

I checked mine last week. It has the exact same badge on it that yours does, same black and white colors and same brass rivets. But the car was restored in the 1990's so who knows. My car was originally picked up at the Glockler dealership in Frankfurt, but it was a US destined car. Let me know if you find anything more out the badge.
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23