Every Sunday at Alice's Restaurant in NorCal rain or shine

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
John Lindstrom
356 Fan

Every Sunday at Alice's Restaurant in NorCal rain or shine

#1 Post by John Lindstrom »

We meet every Sunday rain or shine at Alice's Restaurant in the SF Bay Area on top of the hill at the junction of Hwy 84 and Hwy 35. Good food, good people and plenty of awesome PORSCHE's

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: Every Sunday at Alice's Restaurant in NorCal rain or shi

#2 Post by Steve Douglas »

John, I agree that Alice's has been a destination for all drivers of all things motorized for many years, my first time was in '69 with the 356. I normally go up that way during the week, as there is lots less traffic and bikes to dodge. I will make a point of doing the run on a Sunday, what time are you usually getting there? I know the PCA Saturday brunch group meets about 9am. Making the loop from Santa Cruz and back is my favorite "release". Sometimes I'll go Duarte's in Pescadero for Artichoke Soup and Berry Pie, or to Buck's in Woodside for Potato Skins and Spinach Salad.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Alton »

I would have thought Alice's Restaurant would be restricted to these:
OCTO_Velvia100_9Oct2005_0028.jpg
Just in case out of towners decide to stop by, you do mean Alice's Restaurant in Woodside <www.alicesrestaurant.com>, not Alice's, a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco <www.alicesrestaurantsf.com>.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

Jim, Almost true, but Wrong Alice, wrong coast, I don't think Arlo was ever there, but in the early 50's Woody Guthrie spent some time with a friend in the area. There are plenty of old busses in the area, VW and converted school. It's been one of my favorite areas for driving, nice roads, redwoods, decent food, and then the ocean and Highway 1.
Just down the hill a little ways from Alice's is La Honda, where in the 60's Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters lived, and they held "happenings" and Acid (LSD) Tests. Some locals are still living in that era. In LaHonda you'll find Apple Jack's Bar still a "happening", one of the best dive bars in the country, built in the 1800s, it was a bad ass biker bar, but most are "welcome" nowadays, on Friday and Saturdays music, sometimes famous or infamous bands play into the late night, a new patio out back caters to the afternoon partiers. All perfect for a 356, or a vintage Norton.

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Lindstrom »

http://www.alicesrestaurant.com is the link to their website. Always check the weather forecast before venturing up on the mountain during the winter, it freezes over and the roads can get a little dicey what with the ice and all.

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Scallon »

John,
When do you guys meet on Sundays?

-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Lindstrom »

We meet in the morning. It’s hit and miss. Nowadays you’re more likely to see the GT3RS, 911R or other high end Porsche’s. But still we old timers proudly park our old four cylinder cars right up front.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Douglas »

How about the 1st Saturday 356 Breakfast, Mimi's in San Mateo. 8:30am., just off of Hwy 92 west of #101, by Target. Lots of cars if the weather is good. This Saturday is the Toy Drive, a new unwrapped toy or $10 cash.
Looks like the rain will go north this weekend so there should be a good turnout for both meetings.