Another Tony Euganeo thread

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Neil
356 Fan

Re: Another Tony Euganeo thread

#16 Post by Jim Neil »

Edwin Ek wrote:Tony is still in business, but his responsiveness has become unpredictable.

Larry Markham of Markham Motor Works is the fellow mentioned here. I think he is listed as a vendor. If not, he is in Somis, California.
Larry is the master of his trade, wonderful guy and until this latest the only guy who's touched my 356 since buying it ~10 years ago. Not in biz as a "key guy" but for more serious stuff, you cannot find anyone more knowledgeable, highly recommend him for engine work and for anything approaching concours quality, you can't go wrong with him! He's a purist. Maybe not "cheap", but he's honest as the day is long and a true gem in our hobby.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#17 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

Hello Jim,
I will look for him in the vendors list and i'm sure he can give good recommendations for us to on our unique cars.
Thank you for the Info Jim.
Best Regards
Herlin
1958 A coupe

Daniel Roman
356 Fan

#18 Post by Daniel Roman »

Hello All,
We are so sorry to hear that there are some of you having trouble with your locks. We are available to help if anyone would like to make use of our services.
Regards,
Dan & Alicia
at Tweets Restorations
Last edited by Daniel Roman on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWEETS Restorations -- For all of your lock and key needs
DRROCKETDAN@gmail.com
Member: 914World 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba Early911sRegistry 912bbs Rennlist

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

Excellent key and lock service can also be obtained from:

Ryan Hernandez
15 Gottier Dr.
Vernon, CT 06066

Several here on the board have used his services and are quite satisfied.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Hugo Sheers
356 Fan

#20 Post by Hugo Sheers »

I sent my square door handles to Tony for restoration in July 2014, quoted at the time as a 6 month job. Despite numerous attempts to make contact with Tony via phone and e-mail I have had no contact from him since June 2016. I would now like the door handles returned to me so that I can make other arrangements for their restoration, but have had no response from Tony to my requests in this regard.

Can anyone that has a personal relationship with Tony help me recover my door handles? Failing that, can anyone who has been in the same situation advise how I can resolve? Please note I live in the UK.

Much obliged
Hugo

Scott McAdams
356 Fan

#21 Post by Scott McAdams »

I feel obliged to relay my recent experience with Tony E., which was a good one. My ignition switch broke in December of last year, and since it was keyed to the door handles, I sent it off to Tony to see if he could fix it. In the interim, I put in a new switch, so I could keep the car running over the winter. Tony looked at the switch and determined it was a knock-off, which I had suspected. He attempted to repair it, but apparently those switches are difficult to repair. So he refurbished an older, original switch and re-keyed it to my key number. This arrived today in good working order. From start to finish the process took about five months, but I really was in no hurry as I had a working switch during the interim period. So while I certainly understand the frustration that other's have expressed on this topic, my experience was a good one.
356B S90 Roadster, '60 (gone)
Targa, '84
C4S, '08
Macan GTS, '23

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Neil »

Well, an update. My car went off to the shop not running a long time ago - 6 months or more? This was after sitting for way, way too long, had to clean out the fuel system, rebuild the carbs, etc. I had installed a new Stoddard repro ignition switch, but it didn't work. I thought maybe I wired it improperly. My wrench was messing with it, and finally it turned over, but not how it was supposed to, it was just luck that he got it momentarily in the right position. Have no idea if I messed it up on installation or if it was faulty. He said he had a used ignition switch he could send out for rebuild (to Tony). I waited for many months (4-6?), but Tony hadn't sent it back. A couple weeks ago, I bought new repros from Stoddard and told the wrench to just go ahead with the repros, as I suspected we would never hear back from Tony.

Alas, today, wrench called, they got the rebuilt ignition switch and rekeyed matching door locks back from Tony. I told them and go ahead and use them. I guess Tony is still alive and well, although slow as molasses.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Steve Kram
356 Fan

#23 Post by Steve Kram »

There has been a lot of frustration expressed on the Registry with Tony.

I wanted everyone to know that I spoke to Tony today. He has had a difficult personal time these last months and is now on the mend. He is working diligently to finish his backlog and reports that he is almost done!

My experience with him has been a positive one. He has located and sold me some very difficult lock parts to find.

He's a good guy going through a difficult time and coming out the better for it.
Steve

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe you can ask him to email everybody that he has frustrated and give them an update, and tell them their parts are not lost.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jim Neil »

Steve Kram wrote:There has been a lot of frustration expressed on the Registry with Tony.

I wanted everyone to know that I spoke to Tony today. He has had a difficult personal time these last months and is now on the mend. He is working diligently to finish his backlog and reports that he is almost done!

My experience with him has been a positive one. He has located and sold me some very difficult lock parts to find.

He's a good guy going through a difficult time and coming out the better for it.
Steve
Sorry to hear Tony has had some tough times. I think we all have, at one time or another. Met him a few times at the Lit Meet, and still believe "he's the man" when it comes to locks and keys. I now have a running car again with Tony's rebuilt ignition and door keys, so a happy camper at last. It probably took a frantic call from my wrench, but glad to be back in business again. We are all becoming "ancients", I guess, so the tough times may become more frequent, but long live 356's and the rest of us old farts!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

Tony has been using the tough times excuse for many years. I have just sent my handles that Tony never got to for 2 years to Tweets. I hope they are better.
Last edited by C J Murray on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#27 Post by Jim Neil »

C J Murray wrote:Tony has been using the tough times excuse for many years. I have just sent my handles that Tony never got to for 2 years to Tweeks. I hope they are better.
You're probably right from everything I have read here for years. No, I would never send anything to Tony again. WAY too many stories of procrastination run amok and lack of communication. If he had tough times, I'm truly sorry, but maybe just a long running excuse.

My fountain pen post earlier in this thread is still relevant. "Nib" expert is up front - with regular prices you wait 6 months, if you want to pay double, he'll take care of you in a couple weeks. Someone suggested unfair to regular customers, but frankly I think being upfront is very fair. Nobody should accept work with some undefined work schedule which exceeds reasonable norms, or without being up front about it, and communication is a key to good business. If I'm not going to hear from you for 6 months, you should be upfront about it, and otherwise you shouldn't be in business.

Stories about a few who have waited several years are simply outrageous.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera

Brett Meyer
356 Fan

#28 Post by Brett Meyer »

I had Bob
from 356keys restore/ replate our original Roadster door handles /locks earlier this year - one grub screw was frozen solid and handles were pitted .
they came back looking amazing with maybe 6-7 week turn around time and good pricing too.
Brett
 '60 Roadster -87234- Mom & Dad purchased in 1960