Stoddard's Glass Rear Reflectors for the B and C Cars

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Peter Silten
356 Fan

Stoddard's Glass Rear Reflectors for the B and C Cars

#1 Post by Peter Silten »

I just got an email from Stoddard re one of their new products. I am sure that many of you also got this email. The new product is a pair of glass rear reflectors for the 356B and 356C cars. On their website they have described the product as follows:

“The original reflectors on the back of a 356B or 356C were made using a glass lens and while our plastic lenses are excellent recreations at an affordable price, we decided that it was time to start from scratch and make them using real glass. It's a subtle difference, and not inexpensive, but we're sure these will find their way onto top-notch restorations.”

My understanding is that glass reflectors were utilized by Porsche until 1959 (I have a pair on my D) and that the plastic lens were utilized from 1960 to 1965. I am the second owner of a B which has plastic lenses. I have owned that car since 1973 and the lenses are the ones that came with the car. I have looked at countless rear lenses over the years and have never seen glass rear reflectors on Bs or Cs. Here is a Registry thread on the different plastic reflectors:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30099&hilit=reflectors+ulo

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Stoddard's Glass Rear Reflectors for the B and C Cars

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

Peter Silten wrote:I just got an email from Stoddard re one of their new products. I am sure that many of you also got this email. The new product is a pair of glass rear reflectors for the 356B and 356C cars. On their website they have described the product as follows:

“The original reflectors on the back of a 356B or 356C were made using a glass lens and while our plastic lenses are excellent recreations at an affordable price, we decided that it was time to start from scratch and make them using real glass. It's a subtle difference, and not inexpensive, but we're sure these will find their way onto top-notch restorations.”

My understanding is that glass reflectors were utilized by Porsche until 1959 (I have a pair on my D) and that the plastic lens were utilized from 1960 to 1965. I am the second owner of a B which has plastic lenses. I have owned that car since 1973 and the lenses are the ones that came with the car. I have looked at countless rear lenses over the years and have never seen glass rear reflectors on Bs or Cs. Here is a Registry thread on the different plastic reflectors:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30099&hilit=reflectors+ulo

I saw that too. I have a box of original B reflectors and they are all plastic.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

I think it is safe to say that Stoddards is not utilizing their number one knowledge asset Brad in the way they should. Have been very very disappointed in the quality of several of their parts of late. Quality has been lacking especially in light of the often strong prices. When approached about it the support received leaves a lot to be desired. A shame, but sometimes the truth needs to be mentioned.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I get the feeling that Stoddard doesn't test fit some of their products. I had a recent experience with rear engine tin that had to be trimmed considerably to fit. I know some issues have been addressed and corrected but they need to be informed of the problems by everyone that encounters them. Seems like they should have a car, engine, etc. so parts can be test-fitted prior to being released.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

Mike, I think you are right. What annoys me is that when you call them out on it you get the same story "we have sold x sets and nobody has complained before" hard to believe when a part does not work.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

Joris Koning wrote:Mike, I think you are right. What annoys me is that when you call them out on it you get the same story "we have sold x sets and nobody has complained before" hard to believe when a part does not work.
Nearly every Parts vendor uses that same lame line.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

That being said, I still appreciate that we can even buy parts any more, and many of them are excellent.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree with you, Martin. I certainly appreciate our vendors that go to the trouble to replicate NLA parts. The issue here is parts that are incorrect or don't fit. Let's take the engine tin for example. I would assume that an original part was used to create a replica. Then that replica was compared to the original. If it was exactly as the original, it was then test-fitted to an engine with the other tin to see that it would fit. Only if it fit as it should would production begin. Even then, I would send out a few samples to people that actually work on the 356 to insure the parts work/fit as they should. I remember seeing an early example if the engine tin. The channel for the sealing rubber hadn't been formed but was just a flat piece of metal. It was sent back for correction.
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Per Schroeder
356 Fan

#9 Post by Per Schroeder »

The error on the Glass reflector listing was entirely my fault--they came in as a the -10 part number, so without clarifying with Mr. Ripley, I ASSumed they were for the later cars. They are, indeed, for the earlier US cars. I've since clarified our online listings and apologize for any confusion.

http://www.stoddard.com/catalogsearch/r ... 4-731-501-

I ask that anyone who finds an error with our website or emails to please contact me. We really try to make the information as correct as possible. You can contact me at pschroeder@stoddard.com

Per
Per Schroeder
Stoddard
LA Lit Meet Organizer

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the explanation, Per. Much appreciated as well as the availability of parts for our 356's.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Is that Reverend Muppet Per?! Ha!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA