Porsche Pre-A Questions

For Pre A discussions and questions
Josh Matthew
356 Fan

Re: Porsche Pre-A Questions

#31 Post by Josh Matthew »

My car was Strawberry as well. Do you have a photo of yours? I dont think I've seen it before.

Also, Porsche told me that they had two shades of Strawberry for '53. Anyone know how much they differed?

Josh
Last edited by Josh Matthew on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#32 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, this is a bit of a hijack but it is about the screws for the door fixings. Am I correct in my idea that the screws that hold the exterior chrome rail that holds the window rubber against the window, Prt. No. 356 52 803, are 4 slotted self tappers that screw into the inside of the top of the door. Despite having what I thought was load of photos these simply blend into the crud and are not sharp enough to be sure.

It's been said soo many times but for others embarking on this adventure you can not have too many notes or photos and now with digital it's so easy. That is of course if you are personally doing all the dismantling and, not as in our case and is the general rule, someone has already started and bits are dotted about in the car with a bag/box of fastenings all lumped together.

Thanks in advance.

V&S
Attachments
DOOR GARNISH AND CHROME RAILS 008.JPG
DOOR GARNISH AND CHROME RAILS 008.JPG
V. Gillespie

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#33 Post by Joris Koning »

Yes, slotted chrome plated, 3,5x? from the top of my head
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#34 Post by Spencer Harris »

Josh Matthew wrote:My car was Strawberry as well. Do you have a photo of yours?
Sorry Josh. My car was originally black (C501A). The red was a re-spray on the car when I found it. I refer to it as strawberry red, but I've no idea if it was even close to the '53 C524 strawberry red color.
40DSC_0219.jpg
30DSC_0258.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#35 Post by Spencer Harris »

James Davies wrote:Very interesting Spencer! Was there beige primer elsewhere on your car? Or did yours have the red oxide primer? Some parts at Reutter were made and primed separately from the rest of the car. The inner door frame is one example.
James - Short answer, no.
You may remember that I initially consigned the '53 to a shop in the San Diego area. They disassembled and chemically stripped most of the car (not the cab frame, dash or door tops) before I decided to take the car back and have Dingo do the metal work. There were a few traces of black body paint with gray primer underneath before I media blasted the body panels, but I don't recall seeing any trace of red-oxide. (I found similar gray primer on the dash & door tops, but they were originally reddish-brown.) I had the inner door panels blasted some time later and shot them with etching primer before installing the latch assemblies and taking the car to Shane East for paint. I never tried to strip the door panels and see what primer was underneath.
40DSC_0683.jpg
40CIMG8565.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Josh Matthew
356 Fan

#36 Post by Josh Matthew »

Spencer Harris wrote:
Josh Matthew wrote:My car was Strawberry as well. Do you have a photo of yours?
Sorry Josh. My car was originally black (C501A). The red was a re-spray on the car when I found it. I refer to it as strawberry red, but I've no idea if it was even close to the '53 C524 strawberry red color.
40DSC_0219.jpg
30DSC_0258.jpg
Awesome car none the less. Thanks Spencer!

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#37 Post by James Davies »

Thanks Spencer. Very interesting. Your car was finished 2 weeks after mine, and they used different primers! I wonder if it was different primers for different paint brands? Perthun supplied the black and Lechler the metallics. Or maybe different primers for different areas of the car?

I decided to check over my car again.

Dash definitely used red oxide primer. And the lids. Wheels too. And body. And interior. The interior is primed all up to the ceiling, but not painted up past the windows.
Attachments
20140831_40d_3168f.jpg
20140831_40d_3099f.jpg
20140831_40d_3004f.jpg
20140831_40d_2992f.jpg
20140831_40d_2920f.jpg
20140831_40d_2793f.jpg
20140826_40d_2621f.jpg

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#38 Post by Spencer Harris »

James,
I was focusing my archeological skills on preserving the reddish-brown dash & door top color, and didn’t pay much attention to the primer. I do remember thinking that the dash looked as though it was sprayed black first and then reddish brown. I never stripped the reddish brown off the dash ends, as that’s the paint that Shane color matched. Underside stamped correctly for my chassis with 38.
30GLOVEBOX2_0025.jpg
DSC_0022 (Medium).JPG
40DSC_0026.jpg
30DSC_0983.jpg
40DSC_0030.jpg
30DSC_0403.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#39 Post by James Davies »

Loving your archeological skills there Dr Jones!

David Green
356 Fan

#40 Post by David Green »

Vincent,
When you fit those chrome rails you'll need thick cardboard or particleboard shims between the rail and the door top to shim the rubber window wiper against the window. I found drywall (wall board) shims at the local building supply that were the exact thickness and density of the originals that fell out in pieces when I removed the rails. They come in bundles of 50 (you need 2-4!) but the bundle cost only a few $$s US. I'm not sure what they are called in the UK but they go between wall board and never-straight wood wall studs to shim the wall surface flat.
David

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#41 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Hey Josh, are you in So Cal ? I might have some parts. Maybe door garnish's ?
Parted out a late 52. Lots of boxes in the garage.
Martin

Josh Matthew
356 Fan

#42 Post by Josh Matthew »

Martin Bruechle wrote:Hey Josh, are you in So Cal ? I might have some parts. Maybe door garnish's ?
Parted out a late 52. Lots of boxes in the garage.
Martin
Hi Martin,

Yes, I’m in Cucamonga... about 30 minutes from Los Angeles. I’ll send over a message.

Thanks,
Josh

Dr Oliver Strobel
356 Fan

#43 Post by Dr Oliver Strobel »

Josh,
the records Porsche has are not as accurate as the Reutter records. If you really want to know more about the originality, then request Reutter's delivery certificate. even if the interior color is not listed at the Kardex, Reutter knows more. I have done it for all of my three Pre A.
Cheers, Olli
Attachments
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5146.JPG
Looking for engine

Josh Matthew
356 Fan

#44 Post by Josh Matthew »

Oliver Strobel wrote:Josh,
the records Porsche has are not as accurate as the Reutter records. If you really want to know more about the originality, then request Reutter's delivery certificate. even if the interior color is not listed at the Kardex, Reutter knows more. I have done it for all of my three Pre A.
Cheers, Olli
I’d love to find out my original interior color. I’m guessing Black? The original paint looks almost maroon with plenty of red paint under the dash and throughout.

Where can I order the Reuter info from?

Thanks!

Josh

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#45 Post by James Davies »

Reutter info here.

Take some photos under the dash of the maroon and red paint. We'll be able to help you figure it out.