Refitting Glove box liner

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Refitting Glove box liner

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello all and help, having fun here putting the dashboard back together!! Just how much difference does rechroming and paint make to tolerances!!
I can't get the upper piece of the glove box liner back in and taught and began to wonder did it originally go in in 2 pieces, 1st the upper cloth only section, pulled taught and glued in, followed by the sides and base. This is the cloth covered cardboard bit, which is then glued in, so the whole thing becomes one which then comes out as one piece. How has anyone else managed this?
Thanks in advance
V&S
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Refitting Glove box liner

#2 Post by James Davies »

Hey Vincent, not sure what you're referring to. Wanna post a photo?

As far as I know, bent-window glove boxes are just flocked paper board and are one-piece.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello everyone, attached are a few photos which I hope makes it possible to see what's happening. Basically the sides and base of the liner are cloth covered cardboard and the top is cloth only, when I dismantled the dashboard this came out as one piece. The upper cloth section was pulled through the slit on the upper, catch side, of the metal box which forms the glove box. This cloth was folded, pulled taught and glued to both the outer and inside of this metal box, the cloth covered cardboard piece was also glued to the inside.
Despite many dry run attempts it does not seem possible to get the liner repositioned, with the upper cloth only section taught and glued into position in the one piece as it came out. With all the attempts to refit this the glued joint between the cloth covered cardboard section and the cloth only top bit is coming apart so I started to wonder if it actually went in in 2 bits. First the upper cloth section, fed through the slit, arranged and folded etc until flat/taught and correct, using fabric glue as it needs to slide. Once this is in place the cloth covered cardboard bit is then positioned and glued in place and they simply end up being glued together in situ so it comes out as one piece.
Hope this makes my problem a bit clearer and someone has overcome this before.
Attachments
GLOVE BOX LINER 006.JPG
GLOVE BOX LINER 005.JPG
GLOVE BOX LINER 003.JPG
GLOVE BOX LINER 002.JPG
GLOVE BOX LINER 001.JPG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

Ah, right. Your car is RHD. Yes, I've never seen one of these in detail before. All the LHD bent-window cars have a flocked cardboard box only. But it is sided. Yours has a steel glovebox with the liner.

Does the steel box detach from the dashboard? If so, then it can be all glued together as one piece, yes?

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#5 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello James and thanks for your help, the steel box is welded in position, if you look at the rear view you can see a line of weld on a flange at the top right, running from the slit for the cloth, and a couple of tack welds are visible, a bit out of focus, on the right of the picture, one is on the bottom corner. There are a few very neat tack welds along the lower edge and a couple up the left hand side to complete the connection, obviously not visible in this photo.
Maybe the lining was put in to the metal box and once complete it was then welded in, but I don't think this is probable as it's difficult to see how this would be done with no signs of scorching to the cloth?
V&S
V. Gillespie

steven mclean
356 Fan

#6 Post by steven mclean »

I have 54137 RHD will be able to look this weekend,could send pictures if you update your profile with email address. Steven

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#7 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks Mr. McLean for the generous offer I tried to add my email address to my profile but can't work out how at the moment so I have sent you an email via here so you will have my E.address.
V
V. Gillespie

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#8 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Additional question to this thread: How is the LHD glovebox secured in place?

Br,
Aki

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Langer »

Hello Aki,
There are 2 screws on each side of the liner. Lower and sides are on the door frame, upper are on 2 small metal support arms on the upper IP frame (see picture). The arms are 18mm wide, approx. 30mm (outer) and 35mm (inner) long, and have a thickness of 1mm. The centers of the support arms are welded at 50mm and 220mm from the outer edge of the IP. All 8 screws are M4x10, the washers are always on the liner side.
Is this what you are looking for?
Martin
Attachments
20200210_154234_red.jpg
20200210_154234_red.jpg (205.3 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Langer »

Hi Aki,
This upper fixture of the glove box looks much more original. The angled sheet metal piece on the picture is an integrated part of the IP panel, it is not welded to the IP.
All other fixtures on the door frame are as shown earlier.
Hope that helps.
Martin
Attachments
20200211_161436_red.jpg
20200211_161436_red.jpg (287.83 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Aki Ruohonen
356 Fan

#11 Post by Aki Ruohonen »

Thank you Martin - this was exactly the thing I was after.

Br,
Aki