headliner for an early 54 pre a

For Pre A discussions and questions
Fred Nolte
356 Fan

headliner for an early 54 pre a

#1 Post by Fred Nolte »

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to find the correct headliner material for my restoration on a 1954 pre a. The car was early production 3/15/54 so it seems more like a 53 with no fuel sender and no vents next to the headlights and so forth. I remember reading that the headliner may have been cotton twill "mouse hair" instead of wool but I can't remember if that was for an earlier car than mine. I also saw a post where someone had a name of a company that still has the cotton material but I can't find that thread now. I have access to the wool but I'd like to get it as close to original as possible.

Thanks for the help,
Fred Nolte
Fred Nolte
'54 coupe #51678

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

Re: headliner for an early 54 pre a

#2 Post by Spencer Harris »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43994
James' information on the fabric you're referring to.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Fred Nolte
356 Fan

#3 Post by Fred Nolte »

Spencer,
Thanks so much. I have samples coming from Lebaron Bonney to see the material in person and I also have a sample of the wool coming from my upholsterer to compare. As long as the cotton doesn't look too cheap then I will go that route otherwise I will go with the "incorrect" wool :). Thanks for your quick response. I have learned a lot about the Pre A's from this section.... invaluable..
I am also looking for a Pre A tool kit. Or a partial tool kit, any tools or hammer or Mesko gauge, etc. I know they are really hard to find. Should I ask for this in another thread?

Thanks again,
Fred
Fred Nolte
'54 coupe #51678

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spencer Harris »

You'll get quicker response if you post a "wanted" ad in the classified section. Good luck - the earlier tools are hard to come by.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

#5 Post by Victor Ingram »

Fred I have a large piece of original material in tan, but I don't think its enough to do the entire headliner. I can send you some pics.
Victor

Fred Nolte
356 Fan

#6 Post by Fred Nolte »

Hi Victor, Thanks so much for your offer! i have an original piece off my car and I have some samples now to look at. I have some decisions to make now.
Thanks again,
Fred
Fred Nolte
'54 coupe #51678

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug Naef »

Hi Fred, Would you like to part with a few scraps of your old headliner material? I have an original interior car that I am trying to preserve and the front posts are shredded while the rest is rough but acceptable. Mine is the tan colored brushed cotton twill. I would really appreciate it and would be glad to pay you for the material and shipping. Thanks for your consideration. Doug

Fred Nolte
356 Fan

#8 Post by Fred Nolte »

Hi Doug,
When I got the car the headliner had already been changed to a vinyl material with little holes punched in it. So I don't have any existing. I do have some of the original corduroy seat materials but no headliner, sorry.
Fred
Fred Nolte
'54 coupe #51678

Tony Aprile
356 Fan

#9 Post by Tony Aprile »

Fred Nolte wrote:Spencer,
Thanks so much. I have samples coming from Lebaron Bonney to see the material in person and I also have a sample of the wool coming from my upholsterer to compare. As long as the cotton doesn't look too cheap then I will go that route otherwise I will go with the "incorrect" wool :). Thanks for your quick response. I have learned a lot about the Pre A's from this section.... invaluable..
I am also looking for a Pre A tool kit. Or a partial tool kit, any tools or hammer or Mesko gauge, etc. I know they are really hard to find. Should I ask for this in another thread?

Thanks again,
Fred

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Doug Naef, did you get the piece you needed as I may be able to help with a bit depending on the colour and size you need. Mine was originally tan but the remains are in a bit of a state, I could dig them out and post a photo if it helps.
V
V. Gillespie