Black Steering Wheel

For Pre A discussions and questions
Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: Black Steering Wheel

#16 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Thanks David, Spencer. Could the comfort be the corduroy inserts ?
I spoke to a Pre A guy and he said it would be a VDM wheel painted black at the factory or would it be a Petri ?
The car has 1 recliner and one fixed boomerang seat.
Was unable to upload from PB, settings not right ? Link below for Kardex & COA.

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/DockRat ... sort=3&o=0

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/DockRat ... sort=3&o=1

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#17 Post by James Davies »

Martin,

I don't think your car had corduroy inserts. The R501 B code means it just got "artificial leather maroon". If it had corduroy inserts, it would have had a "CS" code, meaning "cord sitz".

As Jules says, "schlafsitze" is what is usually written on the Kardex. Literally "sleeping seat", and on the 1952-53 Hoffman cars it, was only on the passenger side. It was so the passenger could go to sleep on long trips.

I suspect whatever the COA says about cord inserts is probably not on your Kardex. Only the R501 B code is on your Kardex, right? Very likely another case of PCNA not knowing how to properly read the early Kardex documents.

Your links to COA and Kardex above don't work unfortunately.

Of course you can always dig around your car for corduroy inserts. Does it still have its original interior anywhere? If you do, and you can find evidence of it, then that would settle it.

You can also get a build sheet from Reutter (via Erlkonig Classic) which will list your whole interior and give example photos of the various materials.

James

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#18 Post by James Davies »

If you got page 136 of Brett Johnson's book, you'll find a table showing descriptions of Porsche color cards. I'm attaching the subset for black cars below.

I'm also attaching the original page it comes from, though there is a typo for the R501 B code. Drat.

And a color swatch showing what the "maroon" or "reddish brown" leatherette looks like. The color card is for the cabriolet, but it uses the same color for upholstery.
Attachments
color card descriptions coupe.jpg
schwarz C501A_1.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 4.35.40 PM.png

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#19 Post by Martin Bruechle »

ImageImage

Thanks James
Between R 501 A and R 501 C the R 501 ( B assume? ) Says Artif, leather maroon.
Would that indicate maroon dash ?
Thanks, Martin

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#20 Post by James Davies »

Yes, maroon dash is very likely for this combo. The way to know for sure would be to get the Reutter document. But I would bet 99% certainty that it's maroon dash.