356 Registry 2018 West Coast Holiday in Oregon Postponed

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

356 Registry 2018 West Coast Holiday in Oregon Postponed

#1 Post by Gordon Maltby »

The September October issue of 356 Registry magazine states that a West Coast Holiday will be held in Bend,
Oregon in September, 2018 (one year from now).

Porsche Rennsport Reunion in late September 2018 was announced after this issue went to press. Because the dates are so close, it was determined that many Registry members would not attend both, creating a conflcit that would certainly impact attendance. The trustees decided at their meeting on August 25th to postpone the Holiday until either 2009 or 2010.

More info will be available as plans come into focus.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

Re: 356 Registry 2018 West Coast Holiday in Oregon Postponed

#2 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Gordon Maltby wrote:... The trustees decided at their meeting on August 25th to postpone the Holiday until either 2009 or 2010.

Gordon, Who will be providing the time machine to get members to the Holiday and with that require an additional charge?
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Emil Wojcik wrote:
Gordon Maltby wrote:... The trustees decided at their meeting on August 25th to postpone the Holiday until either 2009 or 2010.

Gordon, Who will be providing the time machine to get members to the Holiday and with that require an additional charge?
:D :D :D :D

Adam Johnson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Adam Johnson »

Maybe check with some members of the DeLorean Outlaw Registry.
Adam Johnson

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#5 Post by John Hearn »

Gentlemen I believe you mean 2019 or 2020!!!!!
Diane says she cannot do 2009 or 2010 again!
KTF
John

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#6 Post by Pascal Giai »

Rennsport is a "must" on my calendar.
Bend 2019 will be great !!!

Pascal

Gordon Maltby
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Gordon Maltby »

This was a test to see who was paying attention. Love the responses!
BTW, I'm still writing "19.." on my checks much of the time. Still hard for me to acknowledge being in the 21st century.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dan Epperly »

Gordon Maltby wrote:The September October issue of 356 Registry magazine states that a West Coast Holiday will be held in Bend,
Oregon in September, 2018 (one year from now).

Porsche Rennsport Reunion in late September 2018 was announced after this issue went to press. Because the dates are so close, it was determined that many Registry members would not attend both, creating a conflcit that would certainly impact attendance. The trustees decided at their meeting on August 25th to postpone the Holiday until either 2009 or 2010.

Out of curiosity, why can't these events be held in summer when those of us who still work could attend? Getting time off once summer is over is much more difficult.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#9 Post by Jim Liberty »

Dan, to try to answer your question on timing, first the "Holiday" is/was called that because it was typically held over the Labor Day weekend. Just to allow working people to attend. That has changed over the decades, but still usually in the fall to take advantage of cooler weather.

The Rennsport event is set by the Porsche factory, PCNA and PCA. The Registry has no sway over this event. We started the tradition (Hopefully) of providing a hosted dinner for 56 Registry members because of the huge turnout at this event. Sept. 28, 2018 is the Friday of that four day event.

Hope that gives some explanation.
Jim Liberty

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

I thought the Arizona Outlaws sponsored the West Coast Holidays in years ending in "9"........
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#11 Post by Jim Liberty »

It would be a first if two GREAT clubs wanted to have them at the same time. I'm sure we can do something to make everybody happy.
Jim Liberty

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#12 Post by James Learmonth »

I'm disappointed that the Holiday in Bend, Oregon has been Postponed.
I am disappointed that the trustees were unable to solicit opinions from the membership through an Email announcement or request on 356Talk list.
I don't like "It was determined that many Registry members would not attend both creating a conflict...."
I don't like to feel that the trustees have made an arbitrary decision that is not in the best interest of the membership at large.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member

#13 Post by Jim Liberty »

James, let me attempt to address your comments. They are valid, believe me. In 2011 our So. Cal. club hosted the WCH in Palm Springs. It took place close to the time of the first Rennsport. I can tell you first hand that the Laguna Seca event siphoned off at least 30% of our attendees. That put us in a financial bind with our event. It never occurred to our Holiday committee that the All Porsche "Happening" would have such an impact on us.

So, when it was announced that Porsche AG/ PCNA had again selected Laguna Seca for Rennsport VI, it was my suggestion to the organizers, and the Trustees that we postpone the WCH to 2019.

If you are angry at anyone, it should be me. And I truly understand your feelings. ............Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jim, et al. trustees/officers, I completely understand the decision. I would not be able to attend both events and, having attended the first Rennsport at Laguna Seca, I'm looking forward to the next one. The Holiday in Bend would have also been awesome, hence my dilemma which is now resolved. Looking forward to 2019.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Bushnell
356 Fan
Tag: 56 COUPE and KEEPING THE FAITH

#15 Post by Mike Bushnell »

Trustees/Officers, The Magazine said the Bend West Coast Holiday was scheduled for 2018. The web site event says it was then rescheduled to 2019 or 2020. I never saw any mention in the Magazine. The 2019 West Coast Holiday is now in Flagstaff on October 2-6. Does this mean that Bend, Oregon West Coast Holiday is moved to 2020? I don't normally read or write on the web site and use the Registry magazine to keep up with what is going on. Perhaps there should be some notice in the magazine? Most of the people I know read that magazine cover to cover the moment it arrives. Maybe a notice to the upcoming section when the Holidays are changed. Guess I am now obligated to live until 2020 to attend the Bend Holiday.

Mike Bushnell
with a '56A, Tub Club,
Texas
55 SPEEDSTER/56 A COUPE 1500Ns