What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Re: What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

#121 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

I received the Blackstone Lab report on the virgin Porsche Classic Oil which is shown and had an extensive conversation with an analyst. Most of the discussion on the merits of the oil was that there is not much difference between all good up to date API oils, including the Porsche oil. Most of the discussion was was echoed in their latest analysis of oils in the newsletter he referred me too. The Porsche Classic oil, of course, is not one of those in the study. The URL is below.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newslet ... 1-2017.php

I'm going to try it and I'll post the results.

ChuckJ
Attachments
Porsche classic oil baseline1a.jpg
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Devitt Barnett
356 Fan

#122 Post by Devitt Barnett »

To All: If you are searching for Brad Penn oil, you may still find some available in your favorite local shops, but the brand has been sold and is now available at retail and wholesale as "PennGrade" oil. If you log onto the Company website at www.penngrade :wink: .com you will find a list of "local distributors" in your area. They advertise it as being the same high-level ZDDP Pennsylvania grade green oil that was previously produced under the Brad Penn name. Hope that helps. Devitt Barnett, Tacoma. WA

Ronald Gibb
356 Fan

#123 Post by Ronald Gibb »

Alternate Oil Source
I have not seen any mention of Amsoil synthetic oil in any of the discussions. I have used this oil in my 60 coupe since 1975 and have been very satisfied with it. It has always remained much cleaner than the standard oils I used in the 60's. Amsoil has an older classic car oil, Z-ROD ZRTQT designed for flat tappet camshafts and has a very high level of ZDDP. I still have the same camshaft I installed in 1976. Current price for this in Amsoil catalog is $8.25 and I have changed the oil every 12 months.
This is my first post, but have benefited from all the discussions for many years.
Ron Gibb- 56 year owner, Palos Verdes, CA

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#124 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Ron, I also am using Amsoil and got 36 mpg on my last long trip with Amsoil "high zinc" 10w40 motor oil and GL4 75w90 Manual Transmission and Transaxle gear oil. These are both synthetics. Super engine with 1750 P/C, Elgin reworked original super cam for more torque, and Zeniths. I think the oil stays cleaner because it might have less detergent; not necessarily a good thing. Amsoil purchases their base stock oil from a variety of producers and then makes adjustments to meet their goals with additives. As a boutique oil it is spendy. In one of Charles Navarro's posts he stated that they got good service from the Amsoil gear oil but prefers the Mobil gear oil that Porsche uses in racing. It is available only in large quantities. My engine temp using Amsoil is in the middle of the gauge even when ambient temps are ~100F. To sum up: faster engine speed when running starter, better mpg, easier shifting when cold. On the flip side I have a friend who's put on a ton of miles in his 356's with excellent results using Valvoline non-synthetic engine and transaxle oils over the last ~50 years. He suggests to me less thinking and more driving. Tom
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Greg Stout
356 Fan

#125 Post by Greg Stout »

I'm using SWEPCO 20W/50 and the MANN filter on my stock 1600 motor. I agree with the prior posting, that WIX filters are excellent. I use them on my other cars, both with 'full flow' setups. WIX # 15151 spin on filter. They also make a really TALL/DEEP version of this filter, sorry I do not have the #, but it probably gives an extra 1/3 quart 'capacity' to the system, and it's 'easier' to grab and spin off, 'cause it's so darn BIG......

My dose centavos.....
:-]
Member # 1809 , June 1978
'60 Cab-'60 Rdstr-Envimo S:90
'60 Rdstr-'64 C Cpe-'62 Cab
Envimo S:90-'63 Cpe-'62 Cpe
above…all Sold and long gone….
current Garage Pals…
IM Roadster D
1960 T-5 Coupe (52nd one built)
1968 912 Coupe

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#126 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I've been using this oil in my 616 engines recently instead of Valvoline 20/50 Racing Oil (https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/D ... 162d889bd1)

http://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehic ... s/view/232

The spec sheet on the page says it has a Viscosity Index of 155. Which is better than the VR Oil so more stable?

It has 0.11% zinc and 0.10% phosphorus while the VR Oil claims .13% zinc/phosphorus. Am I comparing 0.21 (0.11+0.1) with 0.13 correctly so it has a better zinc/phosphorus mix too?

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#127 Post by Bob Kittel »

Deleted
Bob Kittel

Robert A Keyworth
356 Fan

#128 Post by Robert A Keyworth »

I use this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W ... UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff. Buy a case. - Free shipping. $7.25 a quart.

Those in "the know" will tell you that a multi viscosity oil will make your motor bleed oil from every crack and crevice.

R

Ashley James
356 Fan

#129 Post by Ashley James »

Robert A Keyworth wrote:I use this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W ... UTF8&psc=1

Good stuff. Buy a case. - Free shipping. $7.25 a quart.

Those in "the know" will tell you that a multi viscosity oil will make your motor bleed oil from every crack and crevice.

R
I’m sure that is wrong and if you watch the Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil video Myths Debunked on YouTube, they’ll tell you as much.

There are two facts to remember when you buy oil.

1. Fully synthetic oils virtually eliminate wear. They’re significantly better than old fashioned mineral oil and were endorsed by most motor manufacturers years ago.

2. The best Synthetic oil to use in an old and more highly stressed engine is one for racing engines because they too are highly stressed and need lots of ZDDP. Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10 w 60 comes for old engines or race engines and despite the labelling, I was assured the formulation was the same.

Make doesn’t matter, the characteristics do, though most of us are old enough to be outlasted by an engine with cheap 20W50 in it. :wink:

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#130 Post by John Lindstrom »

John Lindstrom
356 Fan

#131 Post by John Lindstrom »

ray nelson
356 Fan

Extensive testing on engine oil

#132 Post by ray nelson »

A gentleman on a Norton Commando website has done extensive testing on oils for those engines. While not an exact match for the air cooled 356 engine they have similarities; air cooled and flat followers.
So far the best he found has been Bel Ray 10w-50w synthetic V Twin oil.
A link to the thread is https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonComm ... 98/page-37
I would say that while the basics of the engines are similar, I'm sure the 356 engines would not be subjected to as rigorous stress as the Norton motorcycle. Still interesting information for those that may want to know.
I have no vested interest or affiliation with Bel Ray.

Ray

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Extensive testing on engine oil

#133 Post by Ron LaDow »

Ray,
You might put this in the "Best Oil" stickee folder above.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#134 Post by Mark Roth »

Please furnish a link directly to the results page.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

ray nelson
356 Fan

#135 Post by ray nelson »

I'm not sure there's a way to put a link to go to the exact post that states the Bel Ray oil is best but if you go to page 37 about 3/4 of the way down Jim Comstock has a chart and comments as to Bel Ray being the best so far.
He's been testing additives as well and has found that some of the zinc additives are actually detrimental to the performance of the oil.
Like I said it's unlikely a 356 engine will see the extremes that a motorcycle will suffer i.e. 8000 rpm, sitting in traffic on a 90 deg day without forced air cooling or an oil cooler. Also the Bel Ray oil is bloody expensive.
Maybe at some point he will provide a summary or chart.
Ray