Correct position for rubber fuel neck collar on 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Correct position for rubber fuel neck collar on 356C

#16 Post by Mike Wilson »

And two of the metal plate screws face up; two face down.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jack Banville »

Thanks Mike!

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#18 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Jack -
In addition to my preceding 03Dec13 posting showing the fuel tank neck and exterior plate in the wheel well, herewith photos showing the neck's interior plate in the trunk.
- Wil
Attachments
DSCN1062.JPG
DSCN1058.JPG
Last edited by Wil Mittelbach on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jack Banville »

Wil,
This is very helpful. I was also wondering where the washer bottle was attached to the firewall and now I know.
Many Thanks!
Jack

John Montgomery
356 Fan
Tag: Taxidodger

#20 Post by John Montgomery »

This has been an extremely helpful thread - I have a few more questions as although I did remove my tank - it was not correctly installed last time around.

- The new tank from Stoddard sits low in the fuel filler aperture - it rests on the bottom edge of the hole. Should I be spacing the underneath of the tank where it rests in the body on the filler side of the tank to try and get the filler neck more or less centered in the hole?
- If there are two plates that go around the neck, one interior and one exterior, does it need two seals, one for each plate?

- Regarding the picture of Bob's completed fuel filler (with collar inside). Bob, if the collar is fully inside, doesn't your filler neck rub on the edge of the aperture, metal on metal? I see from the photo that your tank sits low in the filler neck aperture in the fender too.

thanks

John

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

2 Plates 1 rubber on outside of inner fender. There should not be metal to metal gas tank to front floor opening for tank. I am not sure what is "correct" but it seems best to use something which will not retain moisture and promote rust.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert Stonerock
356 Fan
Tag: Dr.Bob

#22 Post by Robert Stonerock »

To John Montgomery: A little late, but the photo of the tank collar appears as though it might be resting against the metal opening to the tank filler portion. (Red car with grey tank) This was because I had the tank loose while I was trial fitting everything. Once I tightened everything up there was no metal to metal contact and the neck of the tank filler was centered in the opening of the fender where it terminated in the fuel filling area. Does that make sense?

bob Stonerock