turn signal question

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Peter Silten
356 Fan

Re: turn signal question

#16 Post by Peter Silten »

I have seen a number of European (ROW) models. As I recall, all of the turn signals had the appropriate SWF markings. But I suppose anything is possible.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

It is indeed Peter, as we have seen on other issues. I was only responding to Jim's initial question.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#18 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Peter Silten wrote:FWIW, I seriously doubt that they are original. My 63B, which I have owned since 1973, has the SWF markings on the front turn signals. The only front turn signals I have seen ever without the SWF markings were either reproductions or ones that had been rechromed to the point that the markings have been obliterated.
Peter

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.
I'm pretty sure that the ones with no writing on them were made in the 80s by SWF and were meant for the ROW market. I've still got a dozen or so of them that I bought back then (35 years ago?). I'm pretty sure that all the "no writing" turn signals have screw on terminals rather than "bullet" connectors. All of the replacement turn signal and tail light assemblies made by SWF have screw on terminals.
My pictures show the difference between original SWF turn signal assys and replacement (no writing)
IMG_0985.JPG
SWF assys.
Attachments
IMG_0984.JPG
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#19 Post by Peter Silten »

Hi Jim --

The original question was: “Is there a point where later (T-5 and T-6) turn signals lost the SWF (plus a number) script on them, if ever? Would the answer be the same worldwide?” I mistakenly interpreted the question as asking whether any of the T-5 and T-6 front turn signals that were on those model cars when they left the factory had no SWF markings on them. I now see that the original question was asking something else – i.e., whether SWF ever made replacement turn signals for the T-5 and T-6 cars that did not have any markings on them. And the answer to that question, according to your experience, is that SWF made turn signals without any markings sometime in the 80s. I guess the question re these later turn signals, borrowing a phrase from the 80s, is then “Is it live or is it Memorex.” Though made by SWF, I view the later turn signals as reproductions.

Respectfully,

Peter

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jim Nelson »

Peter Silten wrote:Hi Jim --

The original question was: “Is there a point where later (T-5 and T-6) turn signals lost the SWF (plus a number) script on them, if ever? Would the answer be the same worldwide?” I mistakenly interpreted the question as asking whether any of the T-5 and T-6 front turn signals that were on those model cars when they left the factory had no SWF markings on them. .

Respectfully,

Peter

In fact, Peter, that was the original question. At a recent concours, one competitor was adamant that ROW, or at least Euro cars, had no identifying number script. I've seen a few original Euro cars, mine among them, that had the script, and hadn't seen any that weren't repros that didn't have the script, or some that had been rechromed where the rechromer got too enthusiastic with the copper base. I was trying to find out if there was anything to the guy's story, but I think he has been led down the wrong road. i think every car that left the factory when it was made new, for T5 and T6, would have the script.
Last edited by Jim Nelson on Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#21 Post by Joris Koning »

jim nelson wrote: In fact, Peter, that was the original question. At a recent concours, one competitor was adamant that ROW, or at least Euro cars, had no identifying number script.
Jim, is this the whiny character who was furious that he lost out to you guys for the $5 trophy? Wish I was there that day, would have been fun. Even more fun if Jim B. would have also been around. What a story
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jim Nelson »

Oh, just trying to expand my knowledge base....you never know what might have come from the factory, so "correct" always seems like a moving target....