Toggle switch under dash?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

Toggle switch under dash?

#1 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Has anybody installed a toggle switch on the + wire before the ignition key for extra security on their car?

Since I have to sort out some wiring on my car I was thinking about adding this but wasn't sure about adding another component into chain and then voltage drop across the switch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/k5c/Missile- ... gle+switch

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Toggle switch under dash?

#2 Post by David Jones »

Neil, add it in the circuit to the ignition coil because that one carries only 6 amps max whereas the ignition switch carries the load for the starter solenoid and radio so will be subject to greater volts drop.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Thank you

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dave Wildrick »

I added a toggle switch under the dash that grounds the points (right side of coil).
So I'm not too concerned about the amps.
On my 64C, I had to run a wire all the way from the distributor to the dash (following the existing wire loom), as I could not find the so-called "extra wire" in the loom in the engine compartment.
The 65 had an electric tach, making it easy to tap into that wire.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Great idea but NEVER under the dash! This is the first place a thief looks for such devices. Avoid using the inside of the door openings...another favorite of thieves. Mount the switch in a hidden spot or even incorporate a dash switch to act as a cut-off. Remember...think like a thief in order to outwit a thief.

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Oldham »

Be careful with messing with the unfused part of the wiring harness. It's already a disaster waiting to happen if someone uses a screwdriver or wrench and grounds any of the many unfused nodes; I would not add more. (In my British car club they call such incidents "letting the smoke out of the harness") - -its more common because almost the entire harness is unfused on MG's etc.
BTW I personally add a fuse to protect entire harness (inserted at the battery clamp connection to the small wire). In addition to protecting the harness this fuse can be pulled for security or more importantly for anti-stupidity when working on wiring (it's a lot less effort than removing battery clamp). You do disconnect battery when doing anything near any wiring right?
Fuse value? I think I used 50A on 6V car, 20 A on 12V. But now with most of lights converted to LED could probably go to 20A on 6V car too. I have never had this fuse blow, but as long as you know it's there it's easy to diagnose that it's blown (car won't run, no lights yet battery is good).
Bill

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Geoff Fleming wrote:Great idea but NEVER under the dash! This is the first place a thief looks for such devices. Avoid using the inside of the door openings...another favorite of thieves. Mount the switch in a hidden spot or even incorporate a dash switch to act as a cut-off. Remember...think like a thief in order to outwit a thief.
I lied about putting the toggle switch under the dash. It's in a hidden carpeted spot that I can reach from the driver's seat, though.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe