Generator help near Yosemite??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason McCandless
356 Fan

Generator help near Yosemite??

#1 Post by Jason McCandless »

My Dad and I are on a rally out in Mariposa, CA and my generator is seized (6v). Bearings and winding are thrashed.

Is there anyone not too far away w a spare loaner??

Long shot, I know but call/txt if anyone comes to mind

Jason 415 350 3172

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Generator help near Yosemite??

#2 Post by David Jones »

Jason if you cannot get local help find a parts store and ask for a 6 volt VW generator. It will work and they are relatively cheap. It can be wired to your regulator and as long as your battery is in good shape you should be good to go. Biggets issue is finding somewhere to remove old benny and fan and re-assembly.
if you do not connect it you can run without generator making volts you can run on just the battery for ignition and you can run all day on it.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

By the way Jason, if you are on a smartphone and can get E-mail we could send an E-mail direct if your contact info was on you profile.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I had a generator throw the windings in Wyoming once, the wires had locked it from turning. I had to take it apart and rip out all the wire, the bearings were fine. This allowed it to become a fan drive shaft. I was able to drive across the state on the battery, until I found a junk yard with a VW, quite a rarity in 1974
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jason McCandless
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jason McCandless »

Thanks everyone for the ideas,

I tried to find a 6v generator, but no luck finding one in stock. Looked at the 12 volt version they had, but it was a larger diameter.

The idea of gutting the seized one one and running total loss was also considered because I had 2 batteries with me. I wasn't successful in getting it apart in that moment and I assumed the bearings were toast and wouldn't be of use.

In the end, we stashed the car at the hotel finishing the event in friend's cars and Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy, etc. Went back for the car today, it was 109 degrees through the central valley, so I was glad to be in an air-conditioned tow truck.

It's back safe in the garage and will be back together soon enough!

See you back on the road!

John Weyand
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Weyand »

Good to hear the end with success. Thanks for the update.
John W
'64 "C" coupe