License plate frame restoration

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Sweeney
356 Fan

License plate frame restoration

#1 Post by David Sweeney »

I just got this back from Charles Sihilling Metal Polishing in Santa Ana. He did a great job on a pretty gnarly old license plate frame that was on my Roadster in the 70's when I bought it. I grew up in Walnut Creek so this will look good on my car restoration. Thanks to the Registry guys that recommended him...a gentleman to work with and someone who is good to his word! Getting harder to find people you can trust these days. His address is:
1018 E Chestnut Ave
Santa Ana, California 92701

Phone
(714) 543-7051

Highly recommended!
Attachments
license plate.jpg

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: License plate frame restoration

#2 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hi David, I grew up in Walnut Creek too, and used to go by the Mayer Simon's dealership to look at VWs and Porsches, they always had a few. Then McPeak took over and became an official Porsche dealership, thinking about 1962.
I never took my 356 in there for service but did by an occasional part if they could get it. I think their labor rate was like $18/hour, in '68, twice the rate that the local guys charged. Wish i had an old Meyer Simons frame for the A Coupe.

David Sweeney
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Sweeney »

Steve, I didn't know about the other dealership. Thanks for the info. Dave

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Douglas »

Dave, didn't we reminisce about the old days of cruising main at this years North South? anyway, the old dealership was originally near Stan's Brickhouse, that later became Konstantin's dealership. I think they moved in about 1959 to basically where where the Nissan dealer is now, Mc Peak took over and built the showroom and shop next to it.
But, that was in days of Mel's Drive-In and Hoky's Burgers, 4 or 5 for a $1.