Source for lap belts?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

Re: Source for lap belts?

#16 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

I've still been trying to find a set of lap belts of the configuration I want, to no avail, but at least now I know why I can't find them: the configuration I want is no longer legal! Back in 2002 the Feds instituted a rule making it illegal to have belts that adjust on both sides for highway use. I don't see the reason for this, but that's how things go.
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#17 Post by David Jones »

Thom, I also think that lap belts are almost worse than no belts. At least with no belts you have an option of throwing yourself to one side but lap belts only make it certain that your upper body slams into the steering wheel and you head will break the windshield and that is expensive for the next owner to repair.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

#18 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

David Jones wrote:Thom, I also think that lap belts are almost worse than no belts. At least with no belts you have an option of throwing yourself to one side but lap belts only make it certain that your upper body slams into the steering wheel and you head will break the windshield and that is expensive for the next owner to repair.
You sound like my dad; when I was a kid, he didn't let us use seatbelts so we'd be "thrown clear" in a crash. Then again, my sister and I always rode in the back of a VW bug, so maybe there some other motive...
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#19 Post by David Jones »

Thom, I have 3 point belts in all my vehicles and have done so since 1964 with my first VW bug. I am a firm believer in seat belts especially after having rolled my race car twice.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Thomas Frisardi
356 Fan

#20 Post by Thomas Frisardi »

David Jones wrote:Thom, I have 3 point belts in all my vehicles and have done so since 1964 with my first VW bug. I am a firm believer in seat belts especially after having rolled my race car twice.
How does one rig up three-point belts in an open 356?