Precision Matters Full Flow oil filter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Pettengell
356 Fan

Precision Matters Full Flow oil filter

#1 Post by David Pettengell »

So when CJ rebuilt my engine he used one of these fantastic full flow oil filters. I am about to do an oil change for the first time outside the US (I shipped the car back when I moved back to the UK from Philly) and have found that the filter fitted (a Mobil M1-205) is not available in the UK.

Does anyone know a UK equivalent? Have found some conversion charts but they are mainly for other US suppliers. The biggest supplier in Europe is Fram but not sure of a Fram version that would work.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: Precision Matters Full Flow oil filter

#2 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Check this site, they give a list of equivalent filters.
http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com ... BIL/M1-205

David Pettengell
356 Fan

#3 Post by David Pettengell »

Brilliant, thankyou

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#4 Post by DonCichocki »

I have heard Fram filters are of dubious quality.
Why not contact Ron LaDow and ask his advice.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

David contacted me through Cliff, and here's most of my response:
"I do know that Cliff has fit only the adapters with the internal pressure relief, which limits the pressure the filter sees to ~140PSI, so most filters won't have problems there.
You've got a 3/4" - 16 threads (that's one of two standards) and a max OD of 3", and a preferred length of ~4-1/2". The Mobil One filters were orginally chosen for their high pressure ratings, but since the P/R vlave went in, that's no longer an issue. I continue the supply them because they are VERY good, and they are not expensive (~US$10).
Anyhow, if you can get me some brand names, I'm sure we can cross without difficulty. I know there's got to be 20 of them over there, so filters are available."

Any other Brit users who have sourced in the islands? I agree with Don; I would not recommend Fram,
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

David use a VW Golf diesel oil filtter. Preferably a Mann filter as they are a good quality filter. Diesel filters have to be good because of the conditions they work under. It is what I always used in the Formula Vee engines and never had an issue with them. I did have more than one Fram filter fail so I have given up on them except for the bypass filters as they do next to nothing anyway.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mann-Hummel-W8 ... B000CB7E0G
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ron LaDow »

That one looks a bit large in diameter; 86mm. But the part was designed for some variance, so if you can lay your hands on one, it might do the job.
I checked the Mann on-line catalogue and it was not much help.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#8 Post by David Jones »

Ron I was going more on the fact that I was pretty sure the threads were the same as the Mobil 1 filter. Did not consider the size of filter. This one may be the better one to use. Full specs lower down the page.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mann-Hummel-W9 ... 1-0&sr=1-4
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Looks like all three of these would fit (76mm OD). I prefer the larger, simply for the added filter area, but given the amount we drive our cars, the small one is probably just fine.
Not sure of the difference between the first two; perhaps internal valving, which would not affect the function.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANN-FILTER-71 ... ann+filter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANN-FILTER-71 ... ann+filter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mann-Hummel-W7 ... ann+filter
Edit: Add Mahle filter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KNECHT-OC-264- ... il+filters
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ashley James
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ashley James »

I've been using Fram for decades and never had a reason to doubt them.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

(Edited to correct and amplify my previous post.)

Here is a quote from a post I made in 2014 concerning Fram oil filters.

If I might make one more comment on the PM oil filter. The recommended Mobil 1 filter element costs about twice as much as cheap filters. I followed Ron's recommendations for using the Mobil 1 filter, to a point. That point was when I was facing an engine rebuild. Since the first oil and filter change would occur about 40 - 50 miles after the rebuild, and the second would occur about 200 miles later, I was wondering if I might save a little money by using a cheap Fram oil filter for the initial filter and again at the next oil change. To test the possibility, about 1500 miles before the rebuild, I installed a Fram filter. I ran it for about 1000 miles and then removed it. When I looked down inside the center of the filter, I found that the internal baffle had broken loose on one side and the oil was being bypassed, thus negating the advantage of the filter. Figuring that I maybe had a defective filter, I tried another Fram. when I got to the point of removing the engine to do the actual rebuild, I found the second Fram had done exactly the same thing as the first. It would appear that the Fram filter (and probably all the equivalents) can't handle the cold oil volume. Long story short, I won't use anything but the Mobil 1 filter that Ron recommends.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#12 Post by Paul Lima »

I've been using Fram HP2 on an external mounted oil filter fixture, with oil coming directly off the pump. I settled on the HP2 after several other filters burst on cold startup (btw, do you know how big a mess a quart or 2 of oil can make??). I'd love to try a better quality filter, but nobody seems to rate working pressure (Fram=200 psi) or burst pressure (Fram=500 psi). I contacted K&N and they said "we don't know but it meets OEM requirements" What bozos. Any thoughts?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#13 Post by David Jones »

Paul I use diesel filters such as used on VW 1.8 litre diesel engines. I prefer Mann or Bosch but most all are built to withstand high oil pressure especially when you consider that the VW golf diesel are being used in some very cold areas of the USA.
They are also to use something like Shell Rotella which usually is in the range of 15/40 so their cold start up pressures are going to be on the higher side.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

PaulLima wrote: I'd love to try a better quality filter, but nobody seems to rate working pressure (Fram=200 psi) or burst pressure (Fram=500 psi). I contacted K&N and they said "we don't know but it meets OEM requirements" What bozos. Any thoughts?
"M1-301 Hydrostatic Burst Pressure - 600 psi"
http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
This paper is 15 years old, but M-1 was advertising that burst pressure for all of their filters which is why I originally spec'd them. It was some time later when I was informed that they were very good filters other than that; low pressure loss and fine filtration numbers.
Since then, they have back-tracked on the burst pressure specs for the larger filters, but in discussions with the engineers, I am told (last year) that the #201 (the shorter part required for the Euro-spec Adapter) will tolerate those pressures without problem, hence it is spec'd for the non-pressure relief Adapters.
Now given all that, my mule (the original test engine, giving over 300PSI at the pump outlet) and the hot-rod engine in the C (built to the same standards) have been using the #205 since day one on non-PR Adapters and I have had no problem whatsoever.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jim Hardie
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jim Hardie »

Hi, Folks,

I just changed oil (owner wanted Mobil 1, V-Twin, 20/50) for a gent in the club here in Sacramento. He had a M1-208 on Ron's full-flow. So, remembering that Ron recommends the Mobile 1 filters, I 'assumed' the M1-208 to be correct. Normal vendors were not able to find the M1-208, only the 'new' M1-208A.... On start up, she ran long enough to sound nice (about 2500rpm), then the filter blew right off the engine in several pieces!! Looking for answers I searched the Forum and found this discussion. Ron, any idea of how much difference there is between the M1-205 that you recommend and the 208?? Or do you suspect that one of the relief valve is stuck!!?

Thanks, Jim