4,000 dollar fuel tank leaks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Erik Thomas
356 Fan

4,000 dollar fuel tank leaks

#1 Post by Erik Thomas »

Greetings:

Just installed a new made in Europe 4,000 dollar GT fuel tank into my '60 356 B. The old tank was shot, so figured to upgrade to the larger tank. Mistake. New tank leaks out of the seams, and around the vent on the top. Alternative 1 is to take the tank apart and re solder it. Alternative 2 is to seal it with some sort of "miracle tank sealer"

Anyone have a tank sealer they can recommend?

Thanks, Erik

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: 4,000 dollar fuel tank leaks

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Have you contacted the supplier? If you fiddle with it, it's a pretty sure bet that any warrantee is void.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

Ed. That sucks, shipping it back is going to be expensive. Or

If there is an air conditioning shop around that still makes ducts they might be able to re solder it. Or an old roofer who has done copper. It take an old school sheet metal guy with a gas forge and a 12-16 oz soldering irons. Since its had fuel it it, getting the flux in the seams will also be a pain. You will also need to find some real lead solder. He might be able to reflow what's there, but probably need more lead.

Get a air hose or blower on it, start the venting, big hole down to remove the fumes. I put a heat lamp on the top, heat the tank to around 125f with air blowing in the tank for 24 hours. Getting the fumes out and all the seams dry is mandatory before starting.

Good luck
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

You might also be able to fit a race car bladder in it.

Ironically I had a guy recently offer me a repro GT tank, but it was un-tested, after hearing your story I'm glad I declined. Another great reason this board is great.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#5 Post by Jim Clement »

my regular gas tank leaked.. I took it to known high quality / industrial type rad shop.. they fixed the leaks.. did a great job.
they also offer a bladder version..
the bigger rad shops know how to complete this.. contact them in your area.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Alton »

I've had fuel tanks fixed by an old-school radiator shop. They're used to cleaning and soldering big metal automotive things.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

The only trouble is that radiator shops are now quite a rarity. You might not have one locally any more.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Alton »

Martin Benade wrote:The only trouble is that radiator shops are now quite a rarity. You might not have one locally any more.
Too true I'm afraid.

Harry and Son Radiator in Temple City, California fixed the cracks at my 356A's filler neck, cleaned and relined it. They were pretty well known--they got radiator work from European restorers but closed when Bob Trepanier (and Son) passed away.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Thom Fitzpatrick
356 Fan

#9 Post by Thom Fitzpatrick »

Erik Thomas wrote:Just installed a new made in Europe 4,000 dollar GT fuel tank into my '60 356 B.
How in the hell is a new tank $4k, and how in the hell do they let something out the door that they haven't tested?

Speaking of testing, I think you should probably make a visit to the clinic: after getting sodomized that hard, who knows what you picked up.

I had a bug tank years ago that seeped at the seam; I used the POR-15 tank sealer epoxy kit which fixed it right up.
1956 VW Single Cab
1957 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupé
1957 VW 23-window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Unimog 411
1963 Mercedes Unimog 404
1965 Jaguar E-Type
2003 BMW M3

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Thom Fitzpatrick wrote:
Erik Thomas wrote:Just installed a new made in Europe 4,000 dollar GT fuel tank into my '60 356 B.
How in the hell is a new tank $4k, and how in the hell do they let something out the door that they haven't tested?

Speaking of testing, I think you should probably make a visit to the clinic: after getting sodomized that hard, who knows what you picked up.

I had a bug tank years ago that seeped at the seam; I used the POR-15 tank sealer epoxy kit which fixed it right up.
I would assume this is one of those hand built, one off, GT tanks, which explains the high price. Unlike the regular ones that are produced by the 100, these are one off hand fabbed pieces, so you pay the price. As for why they aren't tested, that I can't explain.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#11 Post by David Nicholls »

Hello Eric

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Sounds like yours is the last tank they'll ever sell !

Like Thom, I've had great success with POR15 Tank Sealer.
One tank I did 15 years ago, the other, 10.
Great for tanks with rust holes.
Make sure the breather holes are clear, after you use it.

Regards
David
Attachments
image.jpg

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Erik Thomas »

Thanks to all who have answered. This is one of the hand made GT tanks, and it is a pretty impressive piece. Baffles inside, nicely made, and the original style forward reserve tube, under the dome. Getting a petcock to work was also a challenge, resolved by making a separate finger strainer part for the reserve function. Now in the process of sealing the tank up. Should be ok. The seller did advise to check it for leaks, so my bad for not doing a hydro test and then soldering it, before I put the paint on and gas in. I think the tank had to be worth the 4K - as it is complicated and must have been very difficult to produce at any price.

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

#13 Post by Mike Ruddy »

Erik, I salute your optimism and positive review of this rather expensive piece of engineering.

I fear not everybody would be so complementary on finding their purchase was so totally unfit for purpose.

With this in mind I wonder if I could interest you in some chocolate fire guards I have in stock, or indeed some bicycles developed specifically for fish.

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dick Douglass »

Shop talk,
Lot Boy owned a shop and had spare original parts up in the loft. There was a original GT tank in the spare parts.
He always did a quick survey when up in the loft to make sure no one had been up there. One day he noticed the GT tank was gone, and his new hire had had trouble with the tank in his B car. He summoned the hourly and asked him to pull his B car into the service bay and open the front hood. There was the original GT tank from the loft!
He then had the hourly remove the GT tank and once that was done they pushed the car out into the street and called a tow truck and advised the hourly to never come back.

John Weyand
356 Fan

#15 Post by John Weyand »

When I was doing my C coupe, I took the rusting fuel tank to a shop in Ravenna, Ohio operating under a franchise called "Re-New". I had done some prior tanks for VW's and two PU trucks with the DIY kit that left a white liner inside. The Re-New left a redish color inside but sealed well and has shown no issues for three years.
John W
'64 "C" coupe