Ollies Engineering

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

Ollies Engineering

#1 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

Does anyone has access to the guys at Ollies Eng.? I need some help...
I sent them my case more than 3 months ago and today I learned that George, the 356 boring master is at the hospital... such a dilema... continue waiting?
What do you guys suggest?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Ollies Engineering

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38600&hilit=case+line+boring Have it sent to Competition Engineering directly or if they won't then back to you to send.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#3 Post by Richard Shilling »

Visit the shop. Express sympathy for George. Ask for your case and if you get it, send it to Competition Engineering. If they won't or can't give you your property, call a lawyer.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#4 Post by Michael Foster »

"Richard Shilling" "If they won't or can't give you your property, call a lawyer."

Wow, I am a lawyer, but don't call me. I have done business with Ollie's for years and they are great. Very reputable!
There has not been any hint in this thread that Ollie's has failed to do the right thing, unless you characterize having heart issues as the wrong thing, so why go there?
You have a choice, call Ollie's and get a timeframe from them. If it doesn't meet your schedule ask them to send it back to you so you can forward to Walt at competition engineering. I have no doubt they will send it back to you as requested.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

I talked last night to a friend who knows George very well and does a lot of business with Ollies. He also lives close by and visited with George Sunday evening. George is recuperating at his nephews home and his nephew Tim is his understudy at Ollies. it will be a while before George gets back to work but Tim is doing what he can to catch up. Ask for Tim if you call. Meanwhile keep in mind that as time passes those of us who have some expertise in these cars are all getting older so it is incumbent upon younger members to step up to the plate and get to know these cars and their requirements better or they will end up being mere ornaments instead of living artifacts.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

X2 on Ollie's. They did some case machining on my Roadster engine some years ago just before they moved from Santa Ana to Lake Havasu City. Awesome work--it allowed me to use standard OD/1 under ID main bearings (the crank had to be ground--not bad after 40+ years at the time of a lot of use) on the rebuild. David is right--a lot of these folks are absolute craftsmen and it's getting harder to find people who know and care about our cars. I wish George only the best.

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#7 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

Many many thanks for the feedback and recommendations...
I contacted Walt and Ollies and the wheels are in motion to expedite the "fixin". Hopefully, it'll go quicker this time around; and BTW, I agree that we are all getting older and need to train new blood to keep our lovely cars moving.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

I agree we are getting older but we should not perpetuate old ideas and methods. line boring is a good case in point. ie returning cases to standard to use more available bearings does not predict the availability of sizes in the future. the use of the steel bearings requires ensuring the proper crush. and line honing is faster and more available for resizing cases.
j

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

I was attempting to learn more about line honing but couldn't find enough information. It sounds like it takes a very high skill level to make it right, the potential problems I read about are these: it is not very effective at correcting misalignment (warped bearing location), different width bearing saddles will cut to different diameters (I don't understand why this would be), and if you hone from one end the sizes tend to progressively change from one end to the other. These seem like actual considerations based on fact, and that only a real master could coax a perfect job from this equipment. I would be interested to hear an expert take on this. So far all I know is from a very small amount of machining knowledge, and what I learned from Google.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Martin
I am not an expert but here goes: "Perfect job" not needed yes if you have a distressed case you should bore it with a multiple single point fully supported bar that has been sweep in to the best guess of the #4 bearing and the seal surface. Even when the factory came out with the 911 the workshop method was to run an adjustable reamer thru the case. This method produces near perfect sizes but can not correct/maintain alignment. Line honing will creep up to the size needed and since there are multiple stones correct slight misaligment. there is very little skill required just patience and a good bore gauge.
j

Miguel Antonetti
356 Fan

#11 Post by Miguel Antonetti »

Update... I contacted Walt, as suggested, and he was very cooperative and willing to get involved right away to solve the situation. So, I contacted Ollies once more basically to ask/tell them to send the case to Walt; learning that the new person assisting during George's absence was just finishing checking the case resulting on bearing #2 being 10k off. The recommendation is to build it back and bore to standard, no more than 6 weeks. I gave them the green light. Stay tuned...