356a headliner bow installation issue

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Robin Robbins
356 Fan

356a headliner bow installation issue

#1 Post by Robin Robbins »

I've come to the point of installing the headliner bows in my 56' coupe and discovered that there are no cutouts in the frame above the door. Unless this is some totally new variation (possible I suppose but pretty unlikely)Im thinking replacement metal was put in and they didnt bother to put in the notches. Not the worst thing I've had to deal with in this process but If someone can direct me to some close up shots of these cutouts and maybe the measurement between them it would help things along and make for a better restoration. Any other thoughts on this are welcome.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 356a headliner bow installation issue

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

sunroof?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robin Robbins »

Nope-just a normal coupe.

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#4 Post by VinceFinaldi »

Can you take a pic of the roof near the top of the door frame and above the quarter window? Hard to believe there are no slots. They are a little hard to see, but I have never seen them missing. I just did the headliner in my 56 coupe a couple months ago.

VinceFinaldi
356 Fan

#5 Post by VinceFinaldi »

Ok, I found a photo of mine before installing the headliner. It's the only photo I have. It's above the B pillar. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_0181.JPG

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robin Robbins »

That does help-I will see if I can get a picture together but the metal looks just like that, except there are no V-shaped slots and no brackets for the rods-just smooth metal. With a starting point I think I can fabricate something that will work-not sure how at this point since I dont want to weld anything there-the car has already been painted. As best I can tell the slots are about ten inches apart and if I cant come up with a better solution I may just drill some holes and bend some metal. Any ideas in this line are appreciated.

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#7 Post by Robin Robbins »

Here is the same area shown in your photo
Attachments
IMG_1792.JPG

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#8 Post by Bill Sargent »

Hi Robin,

Use a small cutoff wheel on a dremel tool to cut the notches. Fabricate the brackets and then there are two possible non welding installation methods. 1) use JB weld or 2) make the brackets enough wider than the V shaped notch to (carefully) drill holes for pop rivets. Or maybe even 1 followed by 2.

Good luck. Glad to see you have made progress to paint. The 59A I purchased from Laurel Peterson is on the road, but with a 2 liter 4 cam. The measurements from your car for the dry sump tank were very helpful.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#9 Post by Robin Robbins »

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you. I've followed your work with your 59A-you set a good example. Progress has been made on mine but as you are very familiar with some procedures seem to include a bit of sand in the machinery. Working off various pictures I've accumulated I made initial cuts this weekend-I expect more cutting and fitting will be required but at some point the bows will fit and I can get on with actually putting in the headliner.

Regards/Robin

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#10 Post by James Davies »

When did these notches start? The pre-A cars have the same headliner bows, but no notches. Perhaps the early T1 cars also did not have notches?

There were a lot of pre-A carry-overs into early A production. Perhaps this is one. If your car doesn't have notches, I wouldn't add them Robin. Headliner can easily be installed without them, as on Steve Harrison's '55 coupe.

Vince, is your T1 later than Robin's?

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#11 Post by Robin Robbins »

Now thats interesting. Mine is an early 56 -(beehive)-but this is the first I've seen about no notches. When trying to fit the bows in without any I found it somewhat like wrestling a large annoyed octopus-no animals were harmed but it wasn't working either. Perhaps the car had an earlier type of headliner with the cardboard insert mentioned. In any case, some cuts have been made but I'll examine the question a bit more before I proceed. /Thanks/Robin

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bruce Edge »

HeyRobbin
I'll trying to answer you from I phone. Early A coupe did not have any notching
The bows are space by the insert stitched in the headliner. The ends of the bows
Go down in the trough, down in the trough the factory packed "horse hair" material between the bows to help keep them spaced. The original packing is usually deteriorated, I've have used upholstery foam with good luck. There is some advantage being able to move the bows to position the headliner. When liner is where you want it, then place the packing in the trough between the bows.
Bruce Edge
Bruce Edge

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#13 Post by Robin Robbins »

Thanks for the verification on the notches/no notches question. Looking at a previously mentioned thread Im considering the use of hot glue in conjunction with some kind of packing material. We shall see.
Regards/Robin

Bruce Edge
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bruce Edge »

Robin
When I was speaking of early A coupe I should have said 1956.
I installed new headliner in my 56 Not long ago. I have pictures I think--but I shot a hole on my computer, may be a while before I can retrieve. Hope my explanation helps.

Bruce Edge
Bruce Edge

Robin Robbins
356 Fan

#15 Post by Robin Robbins »

If the computer survives the GSW by all means I'd like to see pictures of your headliner install. /Thanks/Robin