Why the COA sometimes pales in comparison to a Kardex

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Why the COA sometimes pales in comparison to a Kardex

#1 Post by Adam Wright »

I recently bought a 61 Cab. The owner had a hand written note from the previous owner that the engine had been replaced by the Factory with an SC motor, apparently the original Super 90 motor went boom. I checked the COA that came with the car, no mention of this, so I kind of filed it in that place where all the other folk-lore stories go. "My car was a Factory Use car" or "My car was driven in the Alps by Baron You Know Who" "Ferry Porsche wrote his memos while sitting in my car" etc, etc, etc.
But just to double check I pulled a Kardex on the car and wouldn't you know it, in June of 64 the Factory installed the SC engine that is currently in the car! You would think this would be good information to put on the COA, considering it shows the continuity of the motors. But there was no mention of this on the COA, though Porsche is supposed to use the Kardex to get all the information for the COA, so when the COA was filled out the writer had the same info I have now. I guess I could rail at the person who signed the COA, but he's no longer with Porsche so it wouldn't change anything. But it would be much nicer for the consumer if Porsche would just provide a scan of the Kardex, they can redact the owner info to get around privacy laws. They've always maintained the COA is just as good as the Kardex, but this instance proves that wrong. For $120 they should go the extra mile.
Attachments
COA154551.jpg
kardex154551.jpeg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Why the COA sometimes pales in comparison to a Kardex

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

So you have a T5 61 S90 Cabriolet with a factory installed SC engine. How are you going to badge it? Add SC below S90?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:So you have a T5 61 S90 Cabriolet with a factory installed SC engine. How are you going to badge it? Add SC below S90?
Like all the best cars, it sold quickly to a friend, it's up to him now to badge it. Cars like this I could sell 10 times.
Attachments
4.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

There is a guy in Nigeria who would sell it 20 times. I am sure people would be fighting over that one.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Doug McDonnell wrote:There is a guy in Nigeria who would sell it 20 times. I am sure people would be fighting over that one.
I meant I could sell this kind of car, not sell the actual car 10 times. Though a friend bought a 906 one time out of the NY Times, and apparently it had been sold to 3 people. The State Troopers showed up at my friend's place saying someone else owned the car, he had already dismantled it, the frame was in the rafters, engine over here, etc.

Photo credit goes to Kevin Gallagher
Attachments
grave3.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I knew just what you meant. Messing with you.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#7 Post by Alan Hall »

In defense of the COA it does say the car was built in '61 with the following stuff. Not sure why they would, or should, add things that were done 3 years later, even if a Porsche dealer made the changes.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

Alan Hall wrote:In defense of the COA it does say the car was built in '61 with the following stuff. Not sure why they would, or should, add things that were done 3 years later, even if a Porsche dealer made the changes.
In this case it wasn't the dealer, it was the Factory, and they installed the replacement motor. Some would call this a matching numbers car. That's a debate for another day, but it does show continuity of the motor that is currently in the car. Considering it was on the Kardex, why didn't they put it on the COA? I'm sure it would have been important to the last owner to know that the message the previous owner had told him was in fact true. It took me getting a Kardex to reveal the truth, the last owner was happy to hear the news.
But like I said, if Porsche would just give the scan of the Kardex people would be very happy, not to mention all the errors the COA's contain through bad translation or human error.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Re Kardex: I thought cabriolets had leather interiors as standard equipment. What is Ri-Fi-Sicherung?

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Edwin Ek wrote:Re Kardex: I thought cabriolets had leather interiors as standard equipment. What is Ri-Fi-Sicherung?
I think that's the gearshift lock.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#11 Post by Edwin Ek »

Adam Wright wrote:
Edwin Ek wrote:Re Kardex: I thought cabriolets had leather interiors as standard equipment. What is Ri-Fi-Sicherung?
I think that's the gearshift lock.

No, that is Schaltschloss.

Jonathan Halpern
356 Fan
Tag: 1964 356C built 7/16/63 1987 911 Carrera

#12 Post by Jonathan Halpern »

Agreed on the Kardex vs COA, mine informed me it was a factory test car and I had no idea. The COA aslo didn't point out the car started life as a 1600S C (not SC)! A new category of sorts. Why the Kardex isn't inlcuded as or with the COA as you say with the name redacted is a mistake. They seem to be using some filtering on COA's.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#13 Post by Jay Broemmel »

My COA doesn't even have a build date :? I wish the kardex thing was an option 20 years ago when I got it.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Clarke »

Brad Ripley , Product Development Manager !
Jay

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Adam Wright »

John Clarke wrote:Brad Ripley , Product Development Manager !
Jay
He's probably the only one who can explain why the COA rather than a redacted Kardex, or why the COA's are lacking info. What say you Brad?
www.unobtanium-inc.com