Another Tony Euganeo thread

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Another Tony Euganeo thread

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

Man, I am having a tough time reaching Tony. I have worked with him since the middle 1990's, including as recently as last year. All of my dealings have been exemplary and friendly. His work is first class and prices fair. But recently, I haven't been able to raise him- it has been over a year.

I have resorted to calling three times a day, because someone else was able to reach him doing that. Surely I am bugging him- I know I would be bugged. What else can I do? I am in the middle of a job with him, so I am reluctant to walk away.

Perhaps someone on here knows him.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

Re: Another Tony Euganeo thread

#2 Post by Mark Todorovich »

He has had the locks for my speedster about three years . In that time he has completed three rush jobs for me ,but i can't this last one done. Was he at Hershey ? He usaully attends that. I last spoke to him December of 2015 and he said he was close.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek »

Mark, how did you reach him? You don't show an email address in your profile.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Neil »

I have met Tony once or twice at the Lit Meet. I have no doubt that he is the "guru" and does outstanding work, and he's a nice enough guy. BUT, after buying a repro ignition switch from Stoddard, installing it, and it didn't work, and my car sat for a long while, I sent it off to my wrench many months ago (5-6?). They discovered the ignition switch was faulty (there were other more important reasons it is in the shop).

They had an ignition switch in house, but it needed work. They sent it to Tony. I warned them he has a reputation of being extremely slow. After 4-5-6 months, they are still waiting (doubt they are hounding him). A few days ago I just gave up and ordered a new repro switch (and matching door locks) from Stoddard (I'm fine with repros).

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with such delays. Tony should give a reasonable estimate on time up front, and do his best to stick with it. He's had someone's switch for THREE YEARS??!! Outrageous!

I have a little side hobby, fountain pens. The acknowledged national guru (reworking fountain pen nibs), is in high demand. He advertises his normal estimate on time is 6 months, or something like that (with reasonable prices). He also offers much faster service with double the standard prices. (Per his website "NOTE: There is currently a six month turnaround time for work on pens not originally purchased from us. A rush option usually completes the work within two weeks - this doubles the cost of all charges except shipping." I'm fine with that and think that is a perfect and very fair method if is made clear up front.

Frustrated with my (indirect) experience!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#5 Post by Joris Koning »

Jim, you should have taken the switch to Larry. He does these also and gets them done
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

I live 30 miles from him and couldn't get good service from him. I don't know what changed in his life but he is no longer willing to provide so much as common courtesy to his customers. After two years of avoiding me I had to have a raised voice confrontation with him at Hershey before he would return my untouched door handles. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

Jim Neil wrote:"...A rush option usually completes the work within two weeks - this doubles the cost of all charges except shipping." I'm fine with that and think that is a perfect and very fair method if is made clear up front.
The problem with rush-order service at extra cost is that it screws the guys that are patiently waiting in line and paying full price. It sounds like this guy is up front about it, but is still seems like some grease is needed to get toward the front of the line. Putting it another way, the actual cost is 2X for a two week turn around time. If you're not in a hurry, the cost is half that price but it may take six months. Advertised this way, one would know what they're getting into. If you're OK with non-priority service, you can save some money. No second class service for full price cost.
Bruce Smith

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#8 Post by Edwin Ek »

Deleted.
Last edited by Edwin Ek on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

When the ignition switch went out on my Coupe some years ago, I sent the core to Zim's and he sent back a rebuilt replacement switch right away. And by luck he had a switch that matched the old one's key number, so my door and switch keys still match. BTW I met Tony a couple years ago at the Anaheim swap meet but I haven't seen him out here lately. Too bad--he seemed like a real nice guy.

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Eric McKinley »

I contacted Tony by telephone a few months back in relation to an original shift lock key.

Tony Supplied the original key, I sent the copy to him and he copied it onto the original blank.

He was easy to deal with and I was very happy with the service he provided.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jim Neil »

Joris Koning wrote:Jim, you should have taken the switch to Larry. He does these also and gets them done
I would have sent the car to him but more difficult since his move, and what I needed done was not brain surgery (mainly cleaning out the fuel system and rebuilding carbs after car sat for too long, and a few other minor things). Current wrench said he had a switch but needed service, so I just said fine, but warned him about timing. If I was doing a full rebuild, I'd likely send it to Larry.

Hope you are well!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Pascal A J Maeter
356 Fan

#12 Post by Pascal A J Maeter »

I must say that I have only had good experiences with Tony, both with keys (ignition and doors) for my 356, and, a few weeks ago, with original cut to code ignition/doors and glove box keys for an early 911. Shipped the 356 keys all the way to London promptly, and now that I moved back to the US, same quick service here. He is well priced and the products of high quality.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#13 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

I left a message to Tony by phone some months back and haven't herd from him, wondering if he is still in business?
Is Larry that was mention in early post in the vendor list?

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#14 Post by Edwin Ek »

Tony is still in business, but his responsiveness has become unpredictable.

Larry Markham of Markham Motor Works is the fellow mentioned here. I think he is listed as a vendor. If not, he is in Somis, California.

Herlin E. Woolery
356 Fan

#15 Post by Herlin E. Woolery »

Ok Thanks Edwin will check it out
Best regards
Herlin