CA owners notification

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: CA owners notification

#16 Post by Edwin Ek »

"... and pollution in general." Got it. Sounds like you haven't ever been in Los Angeles when there is a smog alert. Never seen the thick brown layer of smog that hangs over the San Fernando Valley in the summer. A little air pollution never hurt anybody, right? At least from a distance of 3,000 miles.

That's one of the reasons why it's nice to live next to the ocean here.

As far as politicians driving the show, in truth it is the voters who are leading the push to cleaner air. Crazy idea for people to go outside and breathe freely anytime, right? Who wants that kind of liberal agenda?

C J Murray
356 Fan

#17 Post by C J Murray »

Edwin Ek wrote:"... and pollution in general." Got it. Sounds like you haven't ever been in Los Angeles when there is a smog alert. Never seen the thick brown layer of smog that hangs over the San Fernando Valley in the summer. A little air pollution never hurt anybody, right? At least from a distance of 3,000 miles.

That's one of the reasons why it's nice to live next to the ocean here.

As far as politicians driving the show, in truth it is the voters who are leading the push to cleaner air. Crazy idea for people to go outside and breathe freely anytime, right? Who wants that kind of liberal agenda?
I guess that means that I am correct. You should support the policies that fit your beliefs but they are in strong conflict with the old car hobby. It would be very hypocritical for an environmentalist to drive any older car even on a very limited basis. You could have a static museum but no driving. Right? Our cars pollute the air more during a Sunday drive than a modern car pollutes in who knows how long, a long time.

Without government interference Tesla would not exist. To force taxpayers to subsidize hypocrites who claim to be clean while electric power plants do the dirty work is ridiculous. I have nothing against electric cars but I don't want to subsidize the scam.

Did you see Chasing Classic Cars with the new Ferrari LaFerrari that was unable to make the auction stage because it had an electrical fault that would not even allow them to push the car?

I have no idea what the future will bring other than to know transportation will be very different. I accept whatever changes come but I don't want to be forced from my hobby by government.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#18 Post by Ron LaDow »

"SACRAMENTO — California reaffirmed its commitment to combat global warming Wednesday when Gov. Jerry Brown issued an executive order that sets North America’s most ambitious goal: lowering the state’s greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below its 1990 levels by 2030."
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/J ... 231025.php

Let's be clear here: There is no way at all for moonbeam to measure the output of 'greenhouse gasses'. That is simply not possible.
It will, instead, fall on moonbeam to force his minions to arrive at some derivative 'measurements' to prove he is the savior of the world; they have no choice.
Does it take a lot of imagination where the reductions might begin? Older cars are 'gross emitters' regardless of the fact they travel very few miles. 'Hey, you haven't used that car; it must not be 'necessary!'
Politicians are not required to prove result, only intentions.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#19 Post by C J Murray »

HAPPY TAX DAY!!!

In the news today....
California Gov. Jerry Brown has asked the state Department of Justice to investigate alleged corruption at the state’s Board of Equalization, the agency that collects $60 billion in tax revenues in one of the highest-taxed states in the nation.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dan Epperly »

The márket place will doom the IC engine long before legislation. Once the fleet becomes predominately electric, which is inevitable, the demand for gas will be so low gas stations will go the way of pay phones. You wil end up buying your gas at the hardware store like when cars first came around and the world, frankly, will be much better off without the IC engine. This doesn't mean the end of our cars, there will be simple electric conversion kits and yeah, us old and older guys will moan the loss of what we consider to be an essential component of the Porsche experience, but younger people growing up with electrics will wonder why anyone would want to put up with the unreliability, service schedule and costs of these smoke belching, noisy things when you can have an even more powerful and maintenance free and quiet electric motor to do the same thing....push your car down the road and around curves.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#21 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Deleted by Moderator
Oops; did I do something wrong?

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#22 Post by Jon Schmid »

Dan Epperly wrote:The márket place will doom the IC engine long before legislation. Once the fleet becomes predominately electric, which is inevitable, the demand for gas will be so low gas stations will go the way of pay phones. You wil end up buying your gas at the hardware store like when cars first came around and the world, frankly, will be much better off without the IC engine. This doesn't mean the end of our cars, there will be simple electric conversion kits and yeah, us old and older guys will moan the loss of what we consider to be an essential component of the Porsche experience, but younger people growing up with electrics will wonder why anyone would want to put up with the unreliability, service schedule and costs of these smoke belching, noisy things when you can have an even more powerful and maintenance free and quiet electric motor to do the same thing....push your car down the road and around curves.
LOL, your 666th post. Was that by design, you devil?

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#23 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Dan Epperly wrote: From my copious reading of car sites over the years I'd say CA is one of the easiest states in which to own an old car. They will grant you title, smog stuff doesn't affect anything older than 1974... and who wants to own anything more recent than that? There are no annual inspections, if you buy a car without title its a breeze to get a new one, and I can drive my old cars 365. Yep, it's hell here, the rest of you better stay away.
+1

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jon Schmid wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:The márket place will doom the IC engine long before legislation. Once the fleet becomes predominately electric, which is inevitable, the demand for gas will be so low gas stations will go the way of pay phones. You wil end up buying your gas at the hardware store like when cars first came around and the world, frankly, will be much better off without the IC engine. This doesn't mean the end of our cars, there will be simple electric conversion kits and yeah, us old and older guys will moan the loss of what we consider to be an essential component of the Porsche experience, but younger people growing up with electrics will wonder why anyone would want to put up with the unreliability, service schedule and costs of these smoke belching, noisy things when you can have an even more powerful and maintenance free and quiet electric motor to do the same thing....push your car down the road and around curves.
LOL, your 666th post. Was that by design, you devil?
Hehehehheheheeeee.

But damn the truth does hurt like hell somètimes.

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#25 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I'm only been to CA once and my naive take is that everybody uses their cars too much. As for how you reduce that??

I would be interested to see stats on car usage of LA v NYC for example. I would imagine that NYC has a better use of public transport but it wouldnt be first time I'm wrong.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#26 Post by Jon Schmid »

neilbardsley wrote:I'm only been to CA once and my naive take is that everybody uses their cars too much. As for how you reduce that??

I would be interested to see stats on car usage of LA v NYC for example. I would imagine that NYC has a better use of public transport but it wouldnt be first time I'm wrong.
Neil, you're not wrong. It's just that LA still has virtually no viable public transportation by comparison to NYC. We're way too spread out here. Many years ago we had the Pacific Electric (a/k/a Red Cars) railway system but once that was removed (a story in itself) freeways took over. We have some rail lines, a subway and a bus system but nothing like NYC or even SF. You can't even get to LAX directly yet on any rail line. NYC has better usage simply because they have a much better system already in place.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wes Bender »

LA is horizontal. San Francisco and NYC are vertical. Jon, if you remember the Red Cars, you're getting up there in years. I used to ride them with an older cousin. With transfers, you could go almost anywhere in the LA basin. We rode them from Huntington Drive (San Marino, etc) to the Pike in Venice and back. I think it was mid-forties. I escaped in about '55.

Here's our mass transit in AZ.
AZ Mass Transit.jpg
AZ Mass Transit.jpg (34.27 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#28 Post by Jon Schmid »

Wes Bender wrote: Jon, if you remember the Red Cars, you're getting up there in years.
LOL the demise of the Red Cars was well before my time. That doesn't mean I'm not still getting up there in years. In some areas you can still see the old rights of way for the rails because they were typically diagonal to the current street grid.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#29 Post by Wes Bender »

.. and the rails were a disaster for some of the early low-riders.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#30 Post by Bob Forman »

Wes, the Pike was in Long Beach. Same direction, basically, from San Marino, but definitely in Long Beach.
Bob Forman