Factory Roll bars

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Mal Roberts
356 Fan

Factory Roll bars

#1 Post by Mal Roberts »

I believe that the factory offered a roll bar option, but only for Roadsters and only in 1960.
Is there any way I can find out how many cars were built with this option and especially with the S90 motor as well?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Factory Roll bars

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Welcome aboard, Mal. The 1959 GT speedsters also had factory roll bars, as well as the S-90 GT coupes of 1960-61. There were probably others as well.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Are there photos or parts numbers of these factory roll bars by 356 model that someone would be able to share?

Thanks,

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Here is an accurate reproduction sold by GT Werk. Roll bars in street cars are dangerous to your health due to head injuries.
IMG_1452.JPG
DSCN1386[1].JPG
DSCN1431[1].JPG
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ronald Sieber »

Thanks, CJ, for posting. I was asking because my (now) street Speedster came with a nice bolt-in roll bar in it from its competition days. I have found the stamped marking "Republic" on it but otherwise no identifiers. Another thing taking up space in my basement...

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#6 Post by Mike Smith »

I remember where I took this Photograph but did not record when. However it was at least 20 x years ago
I have it recorded as Chassis No. 119 020 which interestingly is not a Carrera engined car
Attachments
IMG_20170329_0003.jpg
IMG_20170329_0002.jpg
IMG_20170329_0001.jpg
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Ronald Roland
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ronald Roland »

Mal,
Is your Roadster installation from the factory? Serial number and engine number, please, if it is. Look carefully at the photos provided by Mike Smith. Note the reinforcing collars and wide plates around the stubs. The stubs are hollow tubes with caps welded on. If they are solid, bullet-looking pieces, it may be the kit from GT Werk - an excellent reproduction. The factory installation in 119020 (a '62 T-6 Coupe) proves Vic's statement that the roll bar could be ordered as an option for any car - this was obviously not done as a dealer addition. I believe 1958 GT cars had the bar also.

Incidentally, if you use this roll bar installation for more than looks, you will want to reinforce the rear seat back mounts, to which the rear braces attach. They are not very strong, especially the little boss that is welded to the sheet metal in Speedsters, etc. - they can be twisted off without roll bar activation! It's also a good idea to cut the longitudinal open, fold the metal back and weld the stub deep into the chassis, as the factory did, before closing everything back up - or plan ahead and do it while the rest of the car is being restored.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Hi Ron. Hope to see more posts from you.

Mal Roberts
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mal Roberts »

Thanks for your replies and help in my roll bar research. I must apologise for not responding earlier as being a new member, I thought my original post had not been recorded. (I was looking under the wrong heading).
In response to Ron's input, I have tried to attached a photo of the stubs in my 1960 S90 Roadster which I believe to be an original factory option. I have a C of A which verifies the roll bar was supplied with three other options when the car was ordered new. This can probably be checked from it's chassis No. 88170 and engine No. P800968.
If my research is correct that only 132 Drauz bodied Super 90 Roadsters were made in 1960, I would very interested to find out how many of those were delivered with the roll bar option. My guess it would be that less than 10%, but if factory records still exist, it would be great to et hold of some accurate data.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Nelson »