Carpet color for fawn interior

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

Carpet color for fawn interior

#1 Post by Ned Hamlin »

We're getting ready to order new carpet for our '65 Togo Brown /Fawn SC coupe. It has Tan carpet in it now, but I'm not convinced that Oatmeal might look better. Does anyone know what color carpet was typically installed with Fawn interior?
Thanks for any help.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Carpet color for fawn interior

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ned: I can't answer the question of what color carpet came with fawn interior (but I suspect tan). I think the oatmeal might work as the brown in it might tie into the exterior color. I'd get a decent size sample and compare it to tan against the fawn. I know some upholsterers will slightly darken the oatmeal with coffee.

As with the discussions about what color you should paint your car, a consistent opinion is, what color do you want to see when you look at your car? Case in point, the original interior color of my slate gray coupe was red but, due to an accidental spill of white paint on the rear seats, a previous owner changed it to black with charcoal carpet. I like the look so during restoration, kept those colors.
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Wurner
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Ned
Here is a 65SC with original interior, fawn leather with light carpet according to the KARDEX.
It does not say light carpet but the existing is original.
If you need more pix let me know.
John
Attachments
DSCN2528.jpg
039.JPG
Interior passengers side.JPG

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Thanks John. Based on your pics we've decided to go with Oatmeal.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Mike Wilson wrote:Ned: I can't answer the question of what color carpet came with fawn interior (but I suspect tan). I think the oatmeal might work as the brown in it might tie into the exterior color. I'd get a decent size sample and compare it to tan against the fawn. I know some upholsterers will slightly darken the oatmeal with coffee.

As with the discussions about what color you should paint your car, a consistent opinion is, what color do you want to see when you look at your car? Case in point, the original interior color of my slate gray coupe was red but, due to an accudental spill of white paint on the rear seats, a previous owner changed it to black with charcoal carpet. I like the look so during restoration, kept those colors.

Thanks Mike. I kind of lean toward painting cars their original color. Actually, I like a nice Togo Brown, and the car should be stunning when we're done. With its rarity, it will be the only Togo Brown car at a show for sure.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

I hear ya, Ned. It seems like the uncommon colors definitely have eye appeal.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Max Handley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Max Handley »

Tan
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

In the projects section there is a link to 356 photos posted elsewhere. In that thread John Lewenauer has a link to his Togo Brown C Coupe you might want to look at.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

My 62' T6 with the same Tan seats and other vinyl pieces also came with Oatmeal square weave .
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#10 Post by Richard Milstead »

Ned,
Oatmeal is the correct choice I believe based on pictures I collected of a very original SC in the same interior and exterior color scheme. See attached pictures.
Dick Milstead
Attachments
356SCH_8934.jpg
356SCT_9113.jpg
356SCT_9106.jpg
Dick Milstead

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#11 Post by William Block »

According to AI and Autobahn that is the correct carpet, but their name for the color is beige. Oatmeal was only used for late 356A carpet and has large clumps of both very pale and darker tan. Sorry but but my 356A sunroof does not have oatmeal carpet, nice no picture.
bill
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#12 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

The Fawn/Tan issue, does confuse me somewhat. It maybe the images we see and the amount of light used, but they can look similar. My 62-built Champagne Yellow T6 was originally sold in Australia with a Tan interior and came to me with an original Oatmeal carpet that was oily, dusty and on the side panels breaking up when I bought the car from the original owner. Even after careful cleaning, I found that I had to replace the carpet and Tony Garcia offered me the same Oatmeal square weave, but admittedly it was a slightly lighter overall colour (more white in it IMO). Tan carpet was the alternative for me at the time (below). The interior vinyl is still Tan and original except the front seats had to be recovered in the (available) Tan Porsche vinyl. The Tan vinyl on the door cards and rear, etc., is reasonably dark and the effect of Australian sun over 55 years may have something to do with that.

In my case Tan vinyl and Tan carpet might have been a bit too much, so it stayed Oatmeal.

Original passenger seat: Image

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Thanks to everyone for the pics and advice. We are going with Oatmeal.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe