Antque white paint for period race car

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Ken Richardson
356 Fan

Antque white paint for period race car

#1 Post by Ken Richardson »

I'm looking for an antique white paint color for a late 50's era race car (not Porsche, but mid-engine tube frame w aluminum body). The early corvettes had a color called Polo White but in the photos I have seen it sometimes appears a really nice antique white and occasionally appears almost cream. This could just be the color on the computer monitor and not really representative. If anyone can give me some advice on how to pick a color I would appreciate their help.

Thanks in advance.
Ken Richardson
Charleston, SC

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

Re: Antque white paint for period race car

#2 Post by Jan Kolm »

British cars used WT3 Old English White for many years in the 1950s-60s and was recreated with the second generation BMW MINIs, so it has a modern formulation.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe

Ken Richardson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Richardson »

Jan,
Thanks for this info. I do like the white they use on the Minis but wasn't aware of the origins.
I've also been looking at polo white they used on the corvettes in the 50s/60s.
Ken
Ken Richardson
Charleston, SC

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

My '55 Cabster racer is an approximation of the factory "Dark Ivory" that dates to the '50s. It is vary much like the English colors in that it has a creamy look to it. I think my painter actually uses a very popular Ford color that was used for many years.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

There is a vintage VW color called Pear White that might fit the bill, color code s L-87 I think.

Ken Richardson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ken Richardson »

Thanks everyone for feedback. I'm also looking at an old Corvette (yes, blasphemy) color called Polo White. I remember a friends 260Z had been repainted that color back in college. I must have liked the as I remembered it all these years, it just took a few weeks to bring it to mind...
Ken Richardson
Charleston, SC

Jan Kolm
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jan Kolm »

C J Murray wrote:My '55 Cabster racer is an approximation of the factory "Dark Ivory" that dates to the '50s. It is vary much like the English colors in that it has a creamy look to it. I think my painter actually uses a very popular Ford color that was used for many years.
Cliff,

I suspect your painter uses Corinthian White, offered by Ford through 1963 model year--much creamier than the Wimbledon White that replaced it.
Jan Kolm
356 Registry #1066
1960 1600N Coupe