Carpet color for a '63 coupe with red interior

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jack Banville
356 Fan

Carpet color for a '63 coupe with red interior

#1 Post by Jack Banville »

Hello,
This is my first post. My slate gray/red car came with very thick red carpet. I'm considering gray or charcoal as a replacement. Are either correct? I've seen pictures of earlier cars with the gray carpet but I haven't seen gray or charcoal in a '63.
Thank you,
Jack

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Carpet color for a '63 coupe with red interior

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've seen tan used with red interior in a slate gray coupe. There is also a gray carpet with some blue and red flecks in it that might go well. A friend of mine has a black notchback that he is installing red interior with black carpet.

I'd suggest getting some samples to see how they look with the red interior and slate gray exterior.

Is the currect carpet German square weave or a domestic carpet? The German square weave would have a different look.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jack Banville
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jack Banville »

Thanks, current carpet is domestic red but I don't want red in any weave. Too much red.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I, too, have a '63 slate gray coupe originally with red interior. However, one iof the previous owners, a contractor, spilled a gallon of white paint in the back years ago. They dyed the red panels black and changed the carpet to charcoal. That was the color scheme when I bought it and it grew on me. I refreshed the interior with the same colors. I then started the restoration of my car 25 months ago. The interior for the most part was o.k. but some areas needed replacement so I decided to go with the same color scheme. However, the seats didn't need recovering. If they did, I would have had the opportunity to change the color. Red was an option but, like you, with the red carpet, it was too much red for my taste. I didn't like the option of using tan carpet. Another option was green which looks fantastic. Yet another option was gray with the gray carpet with flecks.

There have been several posts about what colors to paint our cars. The consensus seems to be that any color correct for the year of your car is o.k. I think the same holds true for interior colors. It's your car, what do you want to see when you open the door?

Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe