last 500 here's my c

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
M Penta
356 Fan

Re: last 500 here's my c

#91 Post by M Penta »

Yes, I read that you had family here and made several trips out in one of your 356's. I thought mud season was over, but looks like round three is coming.
I got my wish, we have about 3" of snow today.

ryan base
356 Fan

#92 Post by ryan base »

yes gentlemen, thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated and i will consider them carefully. the engine is complete and reinstalled but i am embarrassed to say still not running. now, marks recommendation to get the motor running before installation is more prescient. as i tinker with it i am becoming more familiar with it and i don't think of the time as totally wasted, but man, it is discouraging. i'm sure adam's recommendation to get organized is also a winning strategy as is reading and ferreting out those subtle secrets that are eluding me. the weather here has been beautiful although it gets windy in the afternoon. soon i know it will be hot. i hope to have good news before long

ryan base
356 Fan

#93 Post by ryan base »

ok then its running. i haven't finished the break in but it starts and runs. what a relief. part of the issue is all the other projects that have piled up waiting their turn while i wade through this engine. i would not trade the experience for anything but it was a hike across the desert.

ryan base
356 Fan

#94 Post by ryan base »

7 weeks with new project ( fixer upper house) and the porsche languishes. i know i have to rebuild carbs again but now that's down the trail a little ways. here a pic of max putting the finishing touched on my screw driver
Attachments
20160320_135828.jpg

M Penta
356 Fan

#95 Post by M Penta »

Hi Ryan,

Glad you stepped back from the project on a good note. I can relate to the fixer upper house thing. I bought the most dilapidated house on my road and have been working on it for 15 yrs. Cool house, but needed everything! If I knew what I knew now.... Hope yours does not take 15 yrs.

I like a dog that chews on tools. He may look like a mean beast with that screw driver hanging out of his mouth, but I bet he is a sweetheart.

GL!

ryan base
356 Fan

#96 Post by ryan base »

hi mark every good thing i learned about rebuilding my porsche i'm trying to give to my little house. and the time issue, committing every moment to finish house and then get back to porsche. soon it will be 15 years into porsche. i want to get over the hump with the car, but all this time, somehow it gives my life ballast. it's never going to be the sparkly, shinney, go to shows and fit right in. it's going to be a hmmm??
and yes max is a good dog. he can climb over of a chainlink fence but he climbs back in.

ryan base
356 Fan

#97 Post by ryan base »

hello all, i got past a bunch of projects and am back on the c. the carbs on superbug motor came off and enjoyed a quick cleanup but when i reassembled i put the float bowl spacer in first then pivot for float and so that misstep had to be discovered and corrected. once i remembered to turn the fuel lever to open it started and began to run pretty well-- for 5 minutes then it seized on the crank, so i have failed again. i'm thinking i have a bearing in backwards but we will see. cleaned up the garage and getting ready to pull the engine again and thinking about building test stand. have to admit this is pretty disappointing. i cannot start on porsche motors till i can do the bug right. still emerced in the 356 life

ryan base
356 Fan

#98 Post by ryan base »

number 1 rod bearing melted . looks like dirty oil passages in crank. maestro warned us about that. let me try again

ryan base
356 Fan

#99 Post by ryan base »

so my last report was in nov. i took the super bug motor apart again and played with the crank. i don't think the oil holes were drilled through completely so i bought a new crank and put it together again. meanwhile i found a guy in my neighborhood who has an aptitude for auto electrics. so for a couple of weeks after christmas i'd pick teddy up for some solid half days on the sea turtle. now i have the twelve volt working, all the running lights work, inside lights come on when you open the door. dash lights , horn. radio antenna. wipers not yet, radio needs to be brought to life, need speakers. all my dreams are coming true. as the electric is progressing i'm reassembling the motor. i get it in and started and idling and i think i'm at the crest of my fabulous new life. and after running 30 minutes it seized again. so now i'm climbing through my real life trying to line up time to tear motor apart once more.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#100 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Ryan,

You have been through SO much with that engine. I think it's time you got some professional advice before going after it again. This would be the fourth time tearing into it if I recall correctly?

I will gladly let you talk to one of my guys here at the shop to go over what could be happening. Call me on my cell phone this week if you'd like to take me up on it, I would hate to see you go through this again. With all of the effort you are putting into this there should be some reward, the good guy needs to win once in a while too!

Sebastian 734-645-9381
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

ryan base
356 Fan

#101 Post by ryan base »

thank you sebastian. i just have these other things hanging over my head but soon i will get back to it . when that happens i think we could move my engine thread to off topic and i could get some helpful criticizum.

ryan base
356 Fan

#102 Post by ryan base »

hey guys, got some time this week and was able to get the superbug engine out and apart, i found the fly wheel main bearing seized on my new crank, that's what i had a year and a half ago. so i have some issue with case and it demands a deeper investigation. or i get a new case. i played with oil squirter can yesterday to see if i could get oil to come out the crank saddles and maybe i have crack next to valve lifter. i don't know. has to go back to rimco to see if we can save it or junk. then i examine this numb feeling about all this effort i've got in this engine project and i just would not know what i know now if i had not had this trouble.

M Penta
356 Fan

#103 Post by M Penta »

That is some tough luck Ryan, sorry to hear that. Next time around throw that thing on a stand or better yet dyno and thoroughly shake her down before installing. You must be getting pretty good at engine R&R though.

Best of luck

ryan base
356 Fan

#104 Post by ryan base »

mark yes i think you are right . a test stand set up is on my list and when i get back to starting reassembly it will be on test stand . as for what i discovered that tripped me up, end play shims too tight. perils of impatience.

ryan base
356 Fan

#105 Post by ryan base »

incorrect piston in pulley end pressure relief. i should have checked this long ago. beans