Winter Outlaw Project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
M Penta
356 Fan

Re: Winter Outlaw Project

#61 Post by M Penta »

Sorry to hear about that Doug, that's tough.

Been there done that a few times my self.

Best of luck with the repairs.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#62 Post by Doug McDonnell »

On a positive note. The ignition no longer spins when I turn the key. Aftermarket Bosch universal ignition which has a very slightly larger diameter barrel so original lock ring doesn't fit. I couldn't find one at any Vendor that sold the aftermarket switch-but they offered to sell me another switch which had the lock ring. Advertised in Want ads. Someone sent me one-but it was an original. So I took switch out and sat with a small triangle file and filed away and in about 40 minutes got an original to fit. Success Now when I turn the key car starts without me using my other hand to hold ignition behind the dash. Necessity is indeed the Mother of invention.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#63 Post by Doug McDonnell »

10 days in California golfing and visiting daughters. A nice break this time of year. Came home to a snowstorm but had called and had my 1/4 mile long driveway plowed before getting home. I did have to shovel the steps and up to door at 1 AM though with 18 inches of snow while I was gone. Salt is used heavily here so I won't be driving anything fun for a while. When I opened the garage doors the cars wanted to play but I told them "No Only the snow blower gets to play now." It is supposed to warm up later this week so will get cars wrapped up for their hibernation.
Attachments
IMG_1156.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#64 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Time for a short update. I finally took out the shifter and renewed the bushings. At the same time I ran a new heater cable through and put everything back together. I then jacked up the rear, installed the heater cans I bought and went to hook up the heater. Darn darn darn! the lever for the drivers side is broken off the shaft. Nothing to hook driver side cable and rod to. Since I am really not interested in dropping the engine and removing flapper box right now I am putting it on the "in the future list". So next today I turned to the sound that I think is fan hitting housing. I went to take off the belt and found the generator nut finger tight. Whoa! Not good. After taking off pulleys and key I held shaft and reached behind to fan and found I could move it about 1/8th inch back and forth. Not good. I just finished removing assembly and it seems to me that I can actually move the whole fan assembly like bearings bad in generator. I have never had this assembly out on any of my other 356s as I have never had a generator/fan problem. So tomorrow morning i am going to drive it over to my mechanic and have him look at it. Better to get a little knowledge looking at it. Not really interested in doing this 3 or 4 times. Looking at the assembly now on the kitchen table,I can hold the fan and move the fan nut back and forth. Pretty sure that is not correct but not sure what to do about it. Glad my mechanic is only 45 minutes away. BTW spacing is 5.16mm

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#65 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Well the fan had a spacer welded to it and no spacer/shim or wave washer between fan and nut. Maybe took 5 ft/lbs to get nut off. Failure waiting to happen. No wonder I could move fan by hand. Nut sure but looks like it was a pulley side nut on the fan side and ruined. Also only 8 shims on pulley side when I took it apart which probably explains why that nut was finger tight on pulley side.
Attachments
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1181.JPG
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#66 Post by Jim Nelson »

Good catch, though...!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#67 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks Jim. I talked to my daughter in Manhattan Beach and it is 1 degree warmer here in Michigan than it is there. Weird weather. Now waiting for more shims so I can put this all back together before cold returns. I have avoided driving this car due to the noise. Pretty sure noise will be gone now. If so will drive up to body shop for repair of hood while weather is so nice.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#68 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Fan shroud noise is gone, heater hooked up on passenger's side and good flapper box for driver's side coming to me from California. Car going tomorrow( Monday) to body shop for hood repair so they can work on it while I am basking in the sun and golfing in Florida March 1st-15th.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#69 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Drove the car up to the shop-Deming auto in Hastings Michigan,followed by my late friend's widow. Car ran great but I never went over 55 as hood won't stay closed and I duct taped it closed. Friends from Grand Rapids met us at Demings. He is restoring his wife's 64 C and wanted to talk to Rob Deming about doing the finish work and paint on Greenie which his wife bought when she was in college. I refuse to say how long ago in order to stay on Carol's good side. Then it was off to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant where we meet up several times a year. Roads were dry, the sun was out and 45 degrees so a very pleasant drive in the Outlaw. Very odd weather for February in Michigan. Next entry will be with a straight hood!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#70 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I just talked to Rob Deming and hood frame has been repaired with custom patches and hood straightened. Hood frame is now solid and repaired so that I can't tell that it was ever bent. One hood latch was tweaked but I had a perfect one to replace it with. Hood opens and closes perfectly and gaps are very good. No rust on hood and just about ready for paint. New hood seal and windshield seal going in during repair. Cold and snow again here so roads salty again. A few more weeks and car will be home again-just about when it will be warm enough to play again and drive on the roads. Good news indeed after returning home from 2 weeks in Florida.
Attachments
Damaged hook frame cut out
Damaged hook frame cut out
old hood frame cut out and new frame section welded in before painting
old hood frame cut out and new frame section welded in before painting
Hinge area before repair showing evidence of previous bend and bondo repair job further bent during my incident.
Hinge area before repair showing evidence of previous bend and bondo repair job further bent during my incident.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#71 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I stopped by to drop off a new hood handle I have in my spares as I thought the repaired newly painted hood would deserve the new handle. Car is now in color and soon to have clear coat sprayed.
Attachments
IMG_1191.JPG

MarioManzo
356 Fan

#72 Post by MarioManzo »

Looking good Doug

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#73 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Just home from picking up the Outlaw. A few quick pics before putting it in the garage as starting to rain
Attachments
Finished with new hood handle
Finished with new hood handle

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#74 Post by Eric McKinley »

Doug,

It's looking great, good fit looks perfect.

M Penta
356 Fan

#75 Post by M Penta »

Looks like a blessing in disguise after the previous repairs. Very nice repair.

The whole mishap could have been a lot worse!