Driverless Cars

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
ray nelson
356 Fan

Driverless Cars

#1 Post by ray nelson »

The noise and excitement about autonomous cars is building! It's probably not too late to move to Montana with your herd of death trap/polluters. :)
What the media is telling us: http://www.architecturalrecord.com/exte ... _caption=1

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Driverless Cars

#2 Post by C J Murray »

It's inevitable. It's sad. Someday cars with drivers will not be allowed on the road or at least be restricted in their use.

Young people "play sports" by pushing buttons on their hand held device. Every "activity" is done sitting on a couch alone pushing buttons with no interpersonal contact. Anybody notice how many awkward young people there are? Now we have sex robots which have selectable programed personalities. Ever watch a young clerk make change? No math skills! Have you seen the "man on the street" interviews covering current events or history? Total ignorance! Anybody have married children home owners that can't fix a single small maintenance repair and have to call in the professionals for everything? Maybe we are better off that these people not drive cars?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#3 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Cliff, tell us more about these 'sex robots' and whether they will be optional equipment in driver-less cars...
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Emil Wojcik wrote:Cliff, tell us more about these 'sex robots' and whether they will be optional equipment in driver-less cars...
Well, you have to do something on a long trip or you get bored.

I am not a sex robot expert but I did hear a news blurb talking about their development. What really amused me was the "personality option". We should have a contest to come up with the names of the various personality settings. How about "cold hearted bitch" and "loving and caring"(named for my wife)? The girls could set the personality to "cheating bastard" or "Brad Pitt" or "thank you for paying attention to what I am saying".

Emil, offered for your education I just found this...
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ ... -robot-ai/
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#5 Post by Emil Wojcik »

I won't comment on the article other than to say I don't find her particular attractive.
Attachments
assembly2-970x647-c.jpg
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

That's exactly what I thought but I am too sensitive and caring a person to disparage the appearance of my fellow "man" especially when they are busy giving their all making the earth a better place.

Actually I was going to say that they had better make the robots blind or no amount of personality programming would get the robot to have sex with them.
Last edited by C J Murray on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Lars and the Real Girl A great movie!!
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

ray nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by ray nelson »

:D You Guys are too funny, I'll bet your even funnier with a few beers in you

C J Murray
356 Fan

#9 Post by C J Murray »

Mmmmmm, beer!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

One thing I found interesting about the driverless car thing was the ethical issues they are facing. One in particular was if you're car is going to hit another car, it's unavoidable, does your car try to save you, or if there is a greater probability of saving the other person does your car sacrifice you? It's a computer, it will only do what we've told it to, until HAL...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Bill Oldham
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bill Oldham »

Quote:
"It's inevitable. It's sad. Someday cars with drivers will not be allowed on the road or at least be restricted in their use.

Young people "play sports" by pushing buttons on their hand held device. Every "activity" is done sitting on a couch alone pushing buttons with no interpersonal contact. Anybody notice how many awkward young people there are? Now we have sex robots which have selectable programed personalities. Ever watch a young clerk make change? No math skills! Have you seen the "man on the street" interviews covering current events or history? Total ignorance! Anybody have married children home owners that can't fix a single small maintenance repair and have to call in the professionals for everything? Maybe we are better off that these people not drive cars?"

Folks:
This discussion is not much about 356's or even Porsches. We should move on. But its kinda sad that some people from our 356 group have so little positive to say. To counter the (false) characterization in the quote I would suggest you attend a "Makers fair" or similar event in which the technology has so excited the smart young people of today. We will all benefit from the stuff they are creating... for a 356 example, now you can fabricate long-obsolete parts as well as create parts never made before with the hardware and software they foster. But in the area of bio parts its extremely exciting... tissues, body parts..... Yes, Cliff, even universities and high schools have a body of knowhow that is relevant. Some young people feel more comfortable with a kind of alternate universe (VR) but others are out there creating physical objects never before feasible.
I am older than most of the whiners here, but I see terrific things in the young people today.
Bill

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Bill Oldham wrote:This discussion is not much about 356's or even Porsches. We should move on.
This is the "off-topic forum".

Bill, "356's"(possessive) or 356s?

Correct, not all young people are helpless and hopeless but that is rare and a result of personal desire and in spite of our ineffective education system. My children and those of my friends are from late 20s to mid-30s. Every one of them are college educated with some holding advanced degrees. Every one of them is working, most are married, and none live with their parents. I will stand by my generalization you quoted.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#13 Post by Dick Douglass »

Our son-in-law has a medical practice in La, Orange County and Santa Clarita. He is 35, USC grad and sits behind the wheel of his Tesla while his car takes him in#1 lane on the 405 and he answers e-mails and texts and looks at Xrays of his patients while the cars Drives Itself. The tax benefit was amazing, Billing insurance companies for medical advice while the car takes him from one office to another, is more than we expected. The money he has made during these 2 hour commutes pays for the car and the electricity and then he write it off.When he gets home he gets out of the car and hits the remote and the garage door opens and hits another button on his key fob and the Tesla parks itself in the garage.
He doesn't care about the traffic as the Tesla does it all.
So if you come to LA this weekend and drive down the 405 to go visit our famous 356 Shops look to the # 1 lane and if you see a Tesla go by figure the owner is in the left seat and not driving the car.

Warren Buffet just announced he bought a large block of Apple stock. Why? Because each electric car has over 20 computers and Apple can't improve the iPhone or the iPad or the Apple watch, but Steve Jobs said years ago he was going to make Apple Cars and they are coming.

Porsche predicts it will sell 10 to 20% electric cars in the future.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

Thanks Dick for exposing the other side of the story. Productivity is going to soar as a result of the autonomous car and it won't be long before trucks join in the fun. For the ten years that I was an outside sales representative for Dana Corporation I would have loved to have been able to accomplish more business between customer visits. I could have done so much more and the company could have employed fewer people at a great savings. Visionaries like Elon Musk will automate every task possible just as Henry Ford did so long ago. It is not possible for this trend to be reversed.

Since we are classic car enthusiasts and sports car enthusiasts I don't see any reason for us to be pleased about automobile automation. Ultimately we are witnessing the beginning of the end where underdeveloped technology will cause problems and then transition to being so effective as to encourage the outlawing of human operated vehicles on public roads.

What will man do with the spare time, strengthen our bonds with family and friends or will we bury our noses in our hand held devices with an occasional break for quality time with our programmed personality sex robot?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dick Douglass
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dick Douglass »

CJ well said.
Porsche just answered your question.
You know we all Love our Porsche and we also support Porsche Design which is owned by.....
Well Monday Porsche announced the new BOOK ONE.
It is in the Trophy Laptop Category.

Truth is it will ship in April 2017.

Now as you pointed out young people will buy this Porsche Book One not because they need it but because they can afford it! So when they have a driverless car they can play on a Porsche "Trophy" Lap top.

Cost is $ 2,495.
We will order ours this weekend after the Dodgers beat the Cubs in Spring Training in Mesa , Az.
It is Beautiful and has the name Porsche