Cabriolet headliner question

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Karaba
356 Fan

Cabriolet headliner question

#1 Post by Jim Karaba »

Still working on the 57 T-1 Cab and have the headliner stretched and attached at the front but need help in determining how it should be attached at the back firewall. I would assume it is nailed with carpet tacks in the corners and glued around the back cowl under the vertical carpet. I would also like to know how the rear window was originally fixed. The last time, I cut the window shape out but left it small so I could fold it under itself and then hand sewed it to the window perimeter of the top. If this sounds correct let me know or if there are other tips please let me know. Some pics of other cars rear fixings would be beneficial as well. I ask these questions here in the Pre-A forum because the T-1's share the same craftsmanship. Once the T-2's came into production the assembly procedures changed significantly.

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Cabriolet headliner question

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

This is a July 55 build cab.
"IF" I remember correctly the carpeting went in first, the top guy put an edge of the leather on the carpeting but did not cinch it down until he got the headliner in place.
Then I believe he glued down the top edge to hide the edge of the headliner. We used snaps to pull the corners down to make it taught. It gives a much better finish.
Attachments
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG