'60 Cab project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jim Nelson
356 Fan

Re: '60 Cab project

#181 Post by Jim Nelson »

We took a short break from fitting the window seals to finish up some other bits. We started with snaps and mats:
IMG_2571.jpg
and we noticed that the mat we had out was for an A, but we did have a B mat as well. The B mat may be older; it's new, but it's also twice as thick as the A mat and it's reinforced in key spots (different suppliers) :
IMG_2572.jpg
There's a little luck that goes into fitting these snaps, but if you don't take the mold release off the mat first, put the snap onto the floorboard and it makes a nice outline, so you can make an educated guess. It actually worked!
IMG_2573.jpg

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#182 Post by Jim Nelson »

The mold release on most new rubber items isn't too bad to get off, but this has been sitting for a while, and it wasn't going to give up without a fight:
IMG_2574.jpg
We thought the floorboards turned out nicely:
IMG_2575.jpg
And finally, we are ready to install the mat.
IMG_2576.jpg
We finished up a little video of the underside, though we still have to paint the nuts for the deco strips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkSUxThdSVI

Very close to the first drive, I'd be surprised if it wasn't next week. We also had a good discussion on where and how to sell the car. Auction ? Private ? Consigned ? One never knows.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#183 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Youtube says video is private.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#184 Post by Jim Nelson »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Youtube says video is private.

um...should be viewable now....

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

#185 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Jim, great work, I have a 60 Cab that needs the full Monty. Looked at your video and one thing I noticed was that your rear brake line looks to go under the axle tube. May just be me, but don't want my brake line in the line fire from an object hitting it.
Beautiful work, masterful.

Rusty
Rusty

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#186 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Viewed your video of the underside, a flood light would be a great aid for viewing your details, should you decide to republish.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#187 Post by Jim Nelson »

Rusty Ferrell wrote:Jim, great work, I have a 60 Cab that needs the full Monty. Looked at your video and one thing I noticed was that your rear brake line looks to go under the axle tube. May just be me, but don't want my brake line in the line fire from an object hitting it.
Beautiful work, masterful.

Rusty
I hear you, Rusty, but we wanted to replicate what the factory did. If you order up new brake lines, you'll find they're pre-bent to this configuration.And Glen, we'll get a little light up there next time; it was just an iphone walkaround....

View from the bottom...
IMG_2577.jpg

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#188 Post by Matt Kreeve »

wow thanks for all that! So many great tips and such a superb lustre - wishing you many happy miles
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#189 Post by Jim Nelson »

Back to the window and cab top seals, this takes quite a bit of time to figure out how it works, as adding one (of the four) seal influences how the other seals fit.
IMG_2590.jpg
We got a little crazy when we saw this seal looking like we had somehow fouled it up putting it in.
IMG_2592.jpg
But then realized that it was just the reflection of the vent window screws. Getting nuts here !
IMG_2593.jpg
Putting those aluminum top pieces on was interesting as well. On four different cars, we saw this:
IMG_2601.jpg
which looks like the piece is just an easy screw-in job. BUT on each car we looked at, the piece was held on like this, on both sides:
IMG_2598.jpg
And, the aluminum piece was the same for all of them ( holes in the same spots). Yeah, the screw that holds the little piece on goes through the larger screw that affixes the frame to the wood bow. This seems crazy to us, but four cars like that?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#190 Post by Vic Skirmants »

That's an anti-rotation screw. Same system used on old German Mauser rifles.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#191 Post by Jim Nelson »

Vic Skirmants wrote:That's an anti-rotation screw. Same system used on old German Mauser rifles.
Thanks, Vic--we have a better appreciation for the engineering that went into these cars after this project, that's for sure. Lots of intricate detail work.

And, for the first time in well over 20 years, it's back on the road !
IMG_2607.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg
Larry notes that when you finish a car, there's a couple of weeks of sorting to do to make it right. We had a little too much free play in the clutch, brake pedal was a little too low, and reverse was just a bit reluctant, but those things were cleared up, and it really is a great runner, very tight. We still have a few things to do, but driving this today was a real treat, I felt like a 16-year old.

Adjusting the lock plates on the steering for the last time:
IMG_2614.jpg
Checking to see if anything was amiss after today's test run ( looks like a 60 hp Normal, but it certainly doesn't pull like one ! ):
IMG_2610.jpg
Putting on the good steering wheel and the rubber mats:
IMG_2612.jpg
We're pretty close to finishing up, there still are a few details, but the list is pretty small...( spare tire strap, tool kit, etc ).

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#192 Post by Jim Nelson »

More little bits. Putting the door panels back on:
IMG_2629.jpg
Making sure the cat whiskers are the right length and in the right spots ( Larry saw some that were pop-riveted on ! ):
IMG_2633.jpg
Get the window winder springs in place and install the escutcheons and door handles:
IMG_2632.jpg
Make sure the seat belts don't have the handle on the outside, where it always wants to fall into the crack between the seat and the rug, and sometimes doesn't want to come out:
IMG_2636.jpg
Finish up restoring the finish for the relay covers (tedious; they're the two in the middle):
IMG_2656.jpg
All in all, we've adjusted the clutch (engagement too high), the brakes ( pedal too low), and the shifting (hard to get it into reverse), and all now co-operate.. Looking for the next little thing that needs to be sorted before it's on its way.
IMG_2626.jpg

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#193 Post by Jim Nelson »

Getting the refurbished relays in; the black horn relay is installed with black flat-blade machine screws:
IMG_2662.jpg
The light relay is installed with flat-blade sheet metal screws:
IMG_2663.jpg
It's easier to wait until those two are installed before putting in the glovebox:
IMG_2664.jpg
Still waiting for the T5 gearshift rubber mat.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#194 Post by Jim Nelson »

We finally got the mat, and put the rubber pedal covers on the brake and clutch pedals. Doing the little final touches and sorting out; had our first road test of 2017 yesterday.
IMG_2681.jpg
IMG_2698.jpg
IMG_2713.jpg
Stuck the headrests on....
IMG_4418.JPG
With a grand total of nine miles on the car, there's a bit of breaking in to do...
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG

M Penta
356 Fan

#195 Post by M Penta »

Congrats Jim, beautiful job!