Winter Outlaw Project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Winter Outlaw Project

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Car has White KYB shocks which from my reading means they are the old gas adjust shocks which are hard riding. I think I will just get new Boge shocks and be done with it unless someone advises otherwise.
Both of my C coupes have KYB GR2, non-adjustable gas shocks front and rear, and I like them. No hard riding complaints.
I agree with Steve Buggy, in a post from a few years ago:

[Subject: new shocks
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:54:09 EDT

This past weekend I replaced the KYB gas adjust shocks on the rear of my T6
coupe with the KYB GR2 shocks, and what a difference. The ride height of the
rear of my car dropped over 1/2" (but I'm telling my AZ Outlaw friends that
it dropped like 1.5" - 2" just so they'll shut up about this) (good thing
none of them are on the list....). The ride is also noticeably less stiff
with the GR2 shocks. I did a side-by-side test of the 2 different shocks out
of the car, and the difference in shock strength/resistance was dramatic. I
will probably put the GR2s on the front of the car too.

Thanks for all of the input. Stay away from those KYB gas adjust shocks!

Regards,
Steve Buggy]
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

New Boge shocks ordered. No better time to change them than when car is up on 4 jack stands with wheels off.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Doug McDonnell »

All sway bar hardware cleaned and degreased. Just waiting for the Eastwood Satin Chassis Black to dry. I will then install new bushings and remount
Attachments
IMG_1101.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

sway bar all finished and installed. Just in time as shocks are supposed to arrive tomorrow.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#20 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

A larder diameter front sway bar will flatten the rotation of our tubs in a nice sweeper turn. The rear sway bar from an early 911 does a respectable job of bumping up the diameter of the front bar. Pretty much a sweet spot for my preferred driving dynamics. Then there is the Z-bar or Vic's compensator bar to keep the rear planted. Proper camber will also improve the tires patch against the road's surface, if you spend most of your time plowing g's in the sweepers. For those just enjoying the road ahead, ignore all of the above comments.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Thanks Glen. Very aware that combo of 17.5 front bar and Vic's camber regulator would be optimum and If I were going to keep this one I would seriously consider it. That said this is a winter project to improve neglected/poorly chosen things. i.e. 24 year old tires, solid front sway bar bushings. Old hard KYB gas adjust shock, rear torsion bar solid teflon bushings that made the car ride so hard fillings were loosened. Also going to replace shift bushings so recent rebuilt tranny shifts like it is supposed to. Currently a lot of slop in shifter. It is really a shame that the car was repainted Chrysler Fire engine red in my opinion. Original blue interior is in very nice shape. All but front seats which have been restuffed but are grey and have been since the late 80s. Battery box and floors were replaced in past and in good shape. Tempted to repaint in either original Dolphin grey or silver metallic as it would go well with the blue interior but cosmetics are fine for a driver currently. I just want it to ride and handle as it did when newish. Too bad everyone wanted a red Porsche in the 80s.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Getting closer to my next test of suspension on the road. Got all 4 shocks on and front tires on before I needed to stop and clean up for dinner date. I am definitely a lot slower in my late 60s than I remember being when younger.

George Nostrant
356 Fan

#23 Post by George Nostrant »

Doug,

I've got a new aftermarket B/C front bumper that I've had for years. Let me know if your are interested.

George

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#24 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Good thing I don't drive a 356 in the winter. Heater cans are missing. Something else to shop for I guess as I do like driving in the fall and having a little heat sure makes it more comfortable. I think I will wait until I get a heater wire to do the shifter bushings. No good reason to remove the shifter twice. Maurice My parts guru at Stoddard has been missing me since I completed the restoration on my C a few years ago I am sure :>) It was 35degrees this morning but a beautiful fall day. Color starting to show by the creek I live on. Nothing done on the car today as I FORCED myself to go golfing, then went to my grandson's last fall soccer game.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#25 Post by Wes Bender »

Doug, does this new project mean you won't be coming to AZ this winter?

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#26 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The winter project will not interfere with my desire to leave winter in Michigan for 1 week each month. If I go to AZ again it will probably be Tucson and we will hook up. Playing over the winter on a 356 fills my down time when I can't golf but doesn't keep me from desire for warmth. So far Palm Springs in early December so I can also see my 2 daughters out in LA, New Years in Orlando,January meeting in San Antonio, Feb and March undetermined but will be in Golf weather for sure.
Attachments
Fall color on Augusta Creek
Fall color on Augusta Creek

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#27 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My son the Maniac stopped over today. I made the mistake of teaching him to ride a dirt bike when he was 9 and he has loved "Fast " ever since. We put the rear tires on and he took it for a spin. Of course we were taking corners on roads out in the country at speeds I will no longer do on the track. Actually probably faster than I ever did on the track even when I was his age.He is a much better technical driver than I ever was. I must say the car handles quite well now. Next up new shift bushings.

M Penta
356 Fan

#28 Post by M Penta »

Great project Doug, did you find it locally? I know most people dislike the nerf bars, and I too feel that way most of the time, but that car wears them pretty well.

I can relate to the maniac son thing, my son started riding at 4. He is now 11 and I am having a harder time staying in front in the tight sections, been seeing a lot of front tire this year! He rings out his little XR100 for all it is worth and wants a bigger bike (2 stroke). I hope I have not facilitated a life long addiction to dirt bikes, especially since there are few legal places left to ride out here and he is out growing our track. My 8yo is right behind him but prefers the dune buggy I built for him, which is too fast for a kid his age. Makes me a nervous wreck...

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#29 Post by Doug McDonnell »

By age 12 I had trained Luke to wait for me any time he came to a fork in the trail. Nothing close here but great trail system in Michigan starting about 1 1/2 hours North of me. I am looking for a decent front bumper and may put bumpers on without over riders and use the carrera wide chrome strips. Oh And I forgot to put the plate on before Luke drove it. Good thing we didn't see any police:>) And Mark this Outlaw has a 912 motor like your car. Built by Vic Skirmants as the previous 24 year owner raced 356s and Vic maintained his race car I think.
Attachments
CJ's car I think
CJ's car I think
IMG_0555.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 3812 times

M Penta
356 Fan

#30 Post by M Penta »

I wish mine was a Vic Skirmants 912, and not the mystery "bitsa" that it is. It does seem to run well though, which I hope to demonstrate very soon if I can find some time to finish it up.

Nice muffler.