Area where the door swings into and Quarter light assemby

For Pre A discussions and questions
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Area where the door swings into and Quarter light assemby

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello all, KCT was delivered to the paint shop today, yipee another step forward, and a question came up which I couldn't clarify from the wonderful spec that James posted to my early query on painting. The area behind the front wheel well closing panel that the door swings into, what's in there, body colour, 'underseal' or both?

Also I am having an 'interesting' time reassembling the quarter lights and I haven't got past the dry run yet! I have studied the blog on the ABCGT forum, the plater did not mess up the edges, all the angles are the same before & after plating, the markings I made on disassembly tell me I have the correct bits in the right position, I have tried both the original and new brackets, right angle at the top and not so right angle at the bottom, easy to tell as the originals at the bottom were very rusty, (I've even reversed every combination I can think of just in case I was nuts, probably, or the markings changed themselves at the platers) but they just will not go together properly. God knows what it wll be like with the glass! I gather from other postings that this is a frustrating assembly but I wasn't expecting a sisyphean task, is there anything stupid I'm missing, not doing or should be doing before I press on with this whilst chewing on something to keep me from screaming.

V
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Area where the door swings into and Quarter light assemb

#2 Post by James Davies »

That area definitely gets body-color paint. And I'm pretty sure there's no schutz underneath. Perhaps someone else has an opinion?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

After the paint inside the door swing area it gets sound-deadening pieces (tar paper) glued in covering some of the area.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Eric McKinley »

I havnt seen that Martin, the use of the sound deadening in that area.

Would you have any further details or pictures in relation to this.

Many Thanks, Eric

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I think you can find a line drawing of it on Stoddard's site. It is a common part, but not usually seen unless you are looking for it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Hall »

The sound deadening pieces are present on my '59 but not on the '53, I think they were added sometime around the introduction of the 356A. My '53 does have undercoating in the door opening area, but I can't say for sure if it was always that way or was added somewhere along the way. If it was undercoated it was then painted body color as James says.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#7 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello & thanks, in cleaning this area I found no evidence of any sound deadening 'paper' but I wasn't sure about the paint/'shutz' combination, or lack of, due to the resprays & rust prevention layers applied by previous owners. I'll go with the body colour followed by some modern clear waxoyly stuff on top for protection.
Anyone any ideas on the Quarter Light reassembly?
V
V. Gillespie

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

What year is your car? I can say for sure that all T-6 bodies had the glued-in sound deadening, but not sure when that started. Edit- I just noticed that this is posted in "pre-A corner"
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#9 Post by James Davies »

Thanks for the extra info Alan. Here's a photo of 50432, original paint and unrestored. Does that look like paint over schutz? Two other cars I've looked at also have texture under the paint. Hard to tell if it is bubbling rust or schutz, or if it's original. Seems it's sprayed on the closing panel and the inner panel just forward of the hinges and fresh air intake too.
Attachments
50432_front_closing_panel.jpg

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alan Hall »

James, Hard to tell from the photo, but I think that is paint over schutz, rust under paint looks more like localized bubbles.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

I agree Alan. I think there's remnants of schutz on my '53 coupe's closing panel and inner wall as well, even though it has had patch panels welded there and has been repainted. Will have to take a closer look in a couple weeks when I move it to a cart.

Judging from Reutter's normal practice with using schutz as sound insulation, I would expect the most important panel to get a good coating on would be the chassis wall that separates this area from the interior space just in front of the fresh air vents. You can see it is quite thick there on my car.
Attachments
20140831_40d_2928f.jpg

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#12 Post by James Davies »

Vincent, it's great you're asking these questions. Very nice to figure this stuff out. Most restorations I've seen, including mega-$$$ ones, don't get the sound insulation right on pre-As. And you get a very loud interior space, which is not how Porsche and Reutter built these cars back in the early 50s. Road tests of the period emphasize how quiet these cars were at speed.

Btw, my '53 coupe also has a bunch of foam padding that looks like closed-cell foam on the inside of the monkey motion dome, underneath the carpet on the sills, and underneath the tunnel carpet. It is glued between the carpet and the schutz. Anyone seen this foam before?

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#13 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hi, Great info as usual & thanks for the photos, so the consensus is 'shutz' then paint, I'll go with that unless more evidence appears.

Regarding the foam under the dome I found the same & have the remnants in a bag which I will dig out and post a photo, but it is badly degraded & by that I mean basically dust! However under the carpet either side of this and in the areas running around the corner & into the sills I found a layer of glued on chopped up coir, the same as I found under the headlining. We have decided not to put that back on the roof, too much of a pain trying to get an even mat of chopped up coir glued on. I have purchased a mat of woven natural fibre sound insulation, it looks very similar to the type James shows in his photos & I will be following his method & slightly increase the area covered.

V
V. Gillespie

Guilherme Marx
356 Fan

#14 Post by Guilherme Marx »

Hi, i'm from Brazil, and i have 3 "356 splitwindow" - 2 reutter coupe, and 1 reutter convertible.

I'm painting the coupe 52 model 51, and i would like to know if anyone can help, if the wheel case (wheel box), is painting in the same color of the body, or is painted in black with underseal!

Thanks
Best Regards

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#15 Post by James Davies »

Hi Guilherme, the wheel wells (area above the wheels) was originally covered in black schutz (undercoat). What colors are your cars?