No Power Under Load

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chuck Watson
356 Fan

Re: No Power Under Load

#76 Post by Chuck Watson »

I'm still leaning towards ignition, even though I've replaced damn near everything (except that lug nut).

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#77 Post by David Jones »

I am going to guess that a previous owner did a rebuild and used stock heads or heads that were not adequately ported. Maybe he got it done by a rebuilder and got screwed or did it himself, but that would explain the lack of power after 4500 rpm.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#78 Post by Martin Benade »

The descriptions of the problem are so inconsistent that we should stop guessing what is wrong, somebody has it in his shop now and will be able to figure it out.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#79 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote:The descriptions of the problem are so inconsistent that we should stop guessing what is wrong, somebody has it in his shop and will be able to figure it out.
We were also told it was dyno'd twice and a leak-down was done, but somehow Chuck would rather withhold that data and suggest people throw darts.
Personally, I don't find that acceptable. If you have a problem and desire help, it behooves you to provide every bit of information you can. Or accept that quite a few people won't bother joining in your Dear Abby game.
Check that lug nut, Chuck!
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Chuck Watson
356 Fan

#80 Post by Chuck Watson »

I'm not asking for further remote diagnosis, but to reply to a few posts:

Jon - no smell from clutch.

Dave - It's entirely possible that someone swapped the heads at some point after the original build.

Martin - If you could be specific about the inconsistencies in my description I would be glad to clarify.

Ron - "We were also told it was dyno'd twice and a leak-down was done, but somehow Chuck would rather withhold that data and suggest people throw darts."

Dart Received!

Here is the compression and leak-down info from an earlier post:

Compression and leak down results below.

#1: 168 psi, 40% dry, 14% oiled
#2: 172 psi, 33% dry, 18% oiled
#3: 205 psi, 9% dry
#4: 205 psi, 14% dry

Wish they all looked like 3 & 4! Hissing on 1 & 2 was mainly from crankcase. So, looks to me like a rings/rebuild issue.

I can assure you there is no conspiracy to withhold valuable data that would help you help me! The dyno's were chassis dynos which I realize wont help much with a drivetrain/clutch issue. The first one was so erratic due to both ignition AND fuel issues the operator said to focus on one and then come back. It was a complete scatter-graph. I made changes to the carbs and got the AFR in line. The second run was still a scatter-graph due to ignition issues (per the dyno operator), as I mentioned previously. The results were so erratic and poor that neither the operator nor I felt a need to further analyze the charts and left it at that. So that's where the process started with changing all ignition components. At the time it seemed like a major electrical component had failed - coil, Pertronix, etc.

Thanks to many others out there for positive suggestions and good humor.

I'll report back when this is resolved.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#81 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have seen stock intake manifold gaskets installed over ported heads. Power loss at mid to upper RPM range.

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#82 Post by Paul Kust »

Ron LaDow wrote:
Martin Benade wrote:The descriptions of the problem are so inconsistent that we should stop guessing what is wrong, somebody has it in his shop and will be able to figure it out.
We were also told it was dyno'd twice and a leak-down was done, but somehow Chuck would rather withhold that data and suggest people throw darts.
Personally, I don't find that acceptable. If you have a problem and desire help, it behooves you to provide every bit of information you can. Or accept that quite a few people won't bother joining in your Dear Abby game.
Check that lug nut, Chuck!
Ron, do you mean axle nut? And the stripped drum spline syndrome? :shock:
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

Re: Cheap Quick Test

#83 Post by Richard Shilling »

If the carbs have air cleaners on them, take them off and try a run. My dim memory says that years ago there was an issue with some Solexes with the vent tube not getting enough air with some air cleaners. Or, hole in the carb top gasket not big enough? I think checking for full butterfly opening with full throttle was already mentioned.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Lawrence Landes
356 Fan

#84 Post by Lawrence Landes »

No end to this story? I read all 6 pages as I'm experiencing a similar problem in a '65C just purchased. Couldn't wait for the final outcome. Chuck? Any wisdom to share?
1965 356 C Sunroof
1976 911 S
2009 997 C4S
1963 T-217 Standard Diesel Tractor

Instagram: 356_p.o.r.s.c.h.e._3FIFT6

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#85 Post by David Jones »

Lawrence, the information in this thread related to a vintage race car with Solex PII40 carbs and you have a 356C which if stock has Zenith carbs so you may want to start a new thread with your engine information and your particular symptoms. Also welcome to the forum where most of your questions will get mostly sensible answers but levity is not outlawed.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

E Rutherford
356 Fan

#86 Post by E Rutherford »

Couple of months ago, I had a vintage racer come into my shop with a similar problem. The chief complaint was lack of power. He had the car in several shops, all doing the same diagnostic procedures (leak down, carbs etc.) with no improvement or solution. In all the stories, no one looked at the distributor. I started there, took the cap off, twisted the rotor to see if the advance action with working. Nope it wasn't and the distributor internals were worse. The Teflon slide plate had bunched up which was the main culprit along with missing shims etc. So the distributor was repaired and installed in the correct position (I think it was 180 out if I remember). Problem solved with a lucky guess and basic diagnostics. My point is to be sure the basics are covered first, make small changes to evaluate the results, then move to the complex.
Lots of great intel in this thread, copy and keep for future reference.

ed
klasse356

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#87 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Ed: Wouldn't that problem i.e. advance action not working have been quickly diagnosed if someone checked the advance at 3K+ rpm to see if it was in the 30-37 degree range rather than simply checking static advance? Of course, your method of twisting the rotor is a quick and easy check.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#88 Post by Mike Horton »

PaulAhnell wrote:Ed: Wouldn't that problem i.e. advance action not working have been quickly diagnosed if someone checked the advance at 3K+ rpm to see if it was in the 30-37 degree range rather than simply checking static advance? Of course, your method of twisting the rotor is a quick and easy check.
Paul, Ed"s check is simple and quick, and answers a lot of questions easily.

Like Ed, i've found the Teflon slide plates to be troublesome. I recently disassembled an 022 I'd run for over 15,000 miles, relatively trouble free, stored for likely 10 years, but... the edges were curled, and would have caused trouble in the near future. I had 2 new Teflon ones, back about 10 years ago, which when run on the Sun, had no curve, and when I opened them up, found the curled edges. I replaced them with the then newly available phenolic replacements, and an 031, and 022, both ran up fine, and performed well in the cars, just my experience.

Your timing check will work, but the "spring back" advance check, is quick, easy, and reliable, my $.02
Mike