Pre A '55 choke/'hand throttle' grub screw & cable

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Pre A '55 choke/'hand throttle' grub screw & cable

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, after an inspection under a microscope it was a punch mark to secure the grub screw holding in the end of the wire, anyone else come across this? Boy was it difficult to remove even with the help of an an aeronautical engineer neighbour, 1mm drill bit used very slowly & carefully dealt with the punch, then an adapted screw driver finally managed to shift the screw, but as you can see from the photos the screw has been damaged a bit.

To save me some time does anyone know the thread size on this grub screw as I think it prudent to make a new one?
The cable looks like a Bowden cable to me, does anyone know of a supplier who stock the right type or know the length and if it has the same end stop at the carburetor end so I can get a supplier over here in the UK?
Lastly did the spiral metal sheath have an outer plastic coating like a bicycle brake cable?

Unless of course anyone has a spare grub screw, cable & screw or complete unit knocking around they be happy to part with, sounds a bit like that delivery of unicorn manure I was promised for my veg plot?

Thanks in advance
V
Attachments
WASHER SYSTEM & HAND THROTTLE 003.JPG
WASHER SYSTEM & HAND THROTTLE 004.JPG
V. Gillespie

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Pre A '55 choke/'hand throttle' grub screw & cable

#2 Post by James Davies »

Wolfsburg West sells a choke cable, part number 111 711 501A. I believe this is the same as for the Porsche - width, length. You'll have to modify the end obviously to mate it up with your choke pull.

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

James, once again thanks a million.
V
V. Gillespie

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#4 Post by Mike Smith »

Vincent,

I think I still have a couple of Choke Cables from the early NATO Generators that use the Porsche Industrial Motors

I am seeing you Thursday so will bring one with me for you to check out - assuming that I can find them!
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)