lock cylinders early door handles

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

lock cylinders early door handles

#1 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Hello all,
I am about to change my door handles on my 1956 T1 from the later models (T2-T6) to the correct rectangular shape. I saw that lock cylinder sets for the early handles are very expensive so I am asking myself whether I can use my existing cylinders on the earlier door handle shape? Is this possible or can the later cylinders be worked over to fit in the earlier handles?
Thks a lot for your comments....
Wolfgang

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: lock cylinders early door handles

#2 Post by James Davies »

I don't think the lock cylinders are interchangeable. In fact, there are two versions of lock cylinders on the square door handles. The first type were used 1950 through 1956 (I think). The 2nd type was used in 1957 I believe. And the square handles are slightly different between these 2 types.

Perhaps Rick Albro can comment here, as he has lots of experience with these.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ned Gorski »

56 would defiantly be the early type square handles the change was made mid 57 to the early square door handle with the later lock-cylinders.. There were actually three types of pre a lock cylinders for the square door handles. The first ones are a bear to rebuild as they are held together by a counter sunk drift pin next to impossible to remove . The middle most common pre a cylinders use a small set screw to inter lock the cylinder parts both cylinders look identical from the outside .. and the third (mid 57 ) uses the later round handle cylinders with a altered square handle So Wolfgang no your later cylinders defiantly will not work in a 56 square door handle .. but they will work in a late 57 square door handle, but wont look correct for your car .
Regards Ned

sent from my Samsung S5

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#4 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Ned and James,
thks so much! Now I see clear..... Just heard from one of the vendors in Germany that they are interchangeable but now I know that this must be wrong.
Wolfgang

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#5 Post by James Davies »

Ned, thanks for reminding me about the different early handles (drift vs screw). The drift was definitely used through end of '53. Maybe later. Do you know when they switched to the screw? Was it in 1956, or earlier?

See below for the drift type. These are off my '53 coupe.
Attachments
20140826_40d_2590f.jpg

jim hasbrouck
356 Fan

#6 Post by jim hasbrouck »

My 54 handles are the same as pictured by James, and I could sure use some cylinders. Mine were broken where the drift goes in and on top of that, my very inept chrome shop person, chromed the cylinders into one big shiny solid glob of chrome

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ned Gorski »

James
i have rebuilt a lot of the early door handles probably 20 set I've only come across three drift type handles.. not sure when the drift / screw change was made. my 55 came with screw handles i rebuilt a set that i was told came out of a 53 that had the screw type cylinders .. .. James when you took those handles apart?? were you able to remove the drift pins, that hold the cylinder half's together??? your cylinder ends look very nice for a 53 set usually the inner cylinder is so pitted.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Ned, I haven't taken mine apart yet! I'm a bit frightened to do so, but I will have to, as they are a bit frozen up inside. These are the originals off my car - match the Kardex number. I could definitely use some help getting that drift out! Perhaps I can tap your expertise. =)

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

James so your not sure if those handles are the early drift/ push pin.. They may be the screw type.. i think you may be confusing the big retaining pin that holds the lock cylinder in place.with the drift pin holding the inner cylinder together .. You cant see the inner pin i'm talking about until you remove the cylinder from the handle. The big one that lock the handle in place is easy a couple swipes with a file to cut the side peens off and it pushes right out then you just ball peen the pin you just removed to elongate the ends then file into shape it gives you enough meat on the tip to re peen it once you put the handle back together.. next time your passing through stop by have a beers or two and we can pull them apart. if they are the drift pin ones we can pop them in my ex wife's ultrasonic cleaner for a day or so.( i hid it the day before she moved out.. :) he hehe ) works great on loosing up suborn lock parts.

sent from my Samsung S5

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#10 Post by James Davies »

Thanks Ned. I was absolutely confusing the outer retaining drift pin and the inner one that holds the lock cylinder together. Wouldn't that be nice if they were the screw type on the inside?! A coupe beers and some Porsche fiddling sounds great. =)

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rick Albro »

Actually you can fit the newer cylinder and button into the 57 only type handles or you can convert the available early square handles to the 57 only type handle allowing you to use the new buttons. However that being said this is not an easy or cheap process. You will probably have well over $1000 in the conversions. You are better off buying the correct parts and doing it right from the start. I am happy to help as needed, Ned may be closer in proximity. There are many people who have done a considerable amount of work with these early door handles and all of there variants. I have done the conversions and I have made the correct parts... you are better off with the right parts. -Rick

see also viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36688
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36609
Attachments
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG
Button and Cylinders.jpg
differences.jpg

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#12 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Just an update. I have installed my T2 lock cylinders into my T1 handles. A bit of work but the result is ok for me. Thks a lot for all your recommendations!
Wolfgang
IMG_0992.JPG