Correct T1 and T6 engine compartment liner

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

Correct T1 and T6 engine compartment liner

#1 Post by wolfgang geisler »

I have recently acquired a 1956 T1 Coupe (#56937) which does not have any sound insulation mounted in the engine compartment. Can you help me to find the correct material? What would you recommend?

BTW: I have got a T6 cabriolet without sound insulation, too..... Any recommendation which material to take for this model? Saw some photos with black and some with grey sound deadening material.

Thks a lot in advance!

Wolfgang
Attachments
IMG_9131.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Correct T1 and T6 engine compartment liner

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Wolfgang:

I'm not familiar with the T-1 sound deadening nor do I have parts manual for that model. However, I do have the manuals for B's and C's. The sound deadening for the cabriolets differ from the coupes in these pieces: fire wall and upper left and right sides.

These pieces are the same on both coupes and cabs: bottom fire wall, lower left and right sides, the left and right floor and the rear wall.

In the States, the best source for the most accurate sound deadening is Bill Perrone at The Parts Shop in Huntington Beach, California.

Best of luck to you on your project!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#3 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Mike
thks a lot for your reply. I have contacted Bill Perrone already and he wrote me that he stopped the production of the sound deadening material. From the manuals I can´t really see how the material exactly looks like. Maybe you have a photo of the correct type of material for the T6? Thks again and best regards
Wolfgang

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know that Bill's supply was dwindling and his supplier was phasing out. Sorry to hear that because he had the best stuff. The best solution is to purchsse the pieces from Stoddard and paint them black.

I'll try to take some pics of my sound deadening and post them.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Lots of old threads on this subject. I do not think currently available products are correct for show cars. For more sound deadening than original some use modern products followed by a Stoddard kit to look more correct. There were probably differences between body makers also. Some pics in this link. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37387&hilit=sound+deadening Use the search function and search for sound deadening or insulation. Current products should be sealed with paint as the material will absorb fuel/oil fumes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#6 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Thks a lot for your advice! I have used the search function but did not find the thread you are recommending, Doug. Sorry.

So for the T6 this one looks correct, right:
download/file.php?id=33339&mode=view
Was it black or dark grey originally?

But what about the T1. Do I have to use the same one as on the T6 or would I have to take this style?
download/file.php?id=38354&mode=view
Not sure about this....

Wolfgang

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My 1st 356 was a 63 coupe and front firewall had thicker insulation than the picture in your link. I redid my current 65 C with the Stoddard kit and the front firewall area is only thin like the material in the T6 picture. Sorry but I have no source for correct thicker front firewall. You might try to contact Jim Liberty, Jim Kellogg,Bruce Baker or others who have been restoring these cars for years. They can probably answer you questions about original materials. The current material from Stoddards is grey but I followed Jim Liberty's advice and painted mine with semigloss black. In the early 80s I bought a kit that did have jute material on the piece for the front firewall to redo the 63. Never used the kit as I sold the 63 to German engineer working for Recaro in Michigan and bought a 65 SC. Finish is much smoother on the material than the currently available product I used on my car. I am pretty sure the T1 compartment material is different from the T6. Good luck on your hunt for insulation.
Attachments
80s kit finish.jpg
jute backing 80s kit.jpg
Stoddard kit installed
Stoddard kit installed
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#8 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Doug, thks a lot!

Now I am clear about the T6. So I will go for the grey type on your last photo and paint the whole stuff black.

Can anybody help me concerning the T1?

Thks all for your support!

Wolfgang

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Email me direct and I can give you a few people to try.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Mike Wilson wrote:I know that Bill's supply was dwindling and his supplier was phasing out. Sorry to hear that because he had the best stuff.
Wolf -
Bill's supplier was from a German source. As such, suggest you contact my friend Peter Hofman of Classic Parts (Ersatzteile fur Porsche 356) in Saarbrucken, Tel: 06 81/85 1550, for the German supplier which he uses for his 356s.
Bestens,
- Wil

wolfgang geisler
356 Fan

#11 Post by wolfgang geisler »

Wil,
fantastic, thank you! I`ll try my best!
Wolfgang

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Per Stoddards the kit they have listed for Pre A coupes would be correct for T1 as well. http://www.stoddard.com/nla55198100.html Has anyone used this kit for their T1 Coupe?

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello Wolfgang,
After our email conversation I saw this thread and wanted to let you know the link that Doug has posted here shows what looks like the same dimensional shapes of sound deadening as the original example I have on hand from my 55 coupe. The shapes look right, but I do not know what the Stoddard panels are made of. As I mentioned, the originals were a heavy stiff vinyl layer on the outside, with thick horsehair sandwiched next, and the backing is coarse burlap. When I made mine I used a textured vinyl and burlap, but substituted a stiff polyester quilting batting for the horsehair. You can't see it when it's sandwiched in there, and I have no idea where you'd get "original" style horsehair batting these days anyway. I used spray contact cement to get everything together first to stabilize it, then sewed the seams as original.