Suggestions on visiting the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Nate Feduska
356 Fan

Suggestions on visiting the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart

#1 Post by Nate Feduska »

I'm leaving for Munich on Sunday to partake in the Oktoberfest festivities and I'm planning a day trip excursion to Stuttgart to visit the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche Museums. Any suggestions on what to absolutely see and not miss? I'm hoping 1 day will give me enough time at both museums. Are the museums near each other in Stuttgart? Appreciate the suggestions!

Prost,

Nate

Mark Cohn
356 Fan

Re: Suggestions on visiting the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart

#2 Post by Mark Cohn »

Though they are reasonably close together, it will be hard to get through both in one day. If you only have a day, I will be a be sacrilegious and suggest spending about two thirds of your time at the MB museum and one third at Porsche. Both are amazing but the MB museum is over the top and does a fantastic job of weaving their automotive history and world history together. At the MB museum it is though the cars provide the context for an incredible history lesson, while at Porsche, it is about Porsche. Not that there is anything wrong with that! Also, be prepared to spend plenty of money in the museum stores. Here Porsche wins with some museum-only offerings.
Attachments
Mercedes Benz museum
Mercedes Benz museum
image.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 1826 times

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#3 Post by Pat Daily »

Be sure and go to Gmund and see the Automuseum.
http://www.auto-museum.at

You can be there fairly quickly from Munich.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#4 Post by James Davies »

You can easily get through the whole Porsche museum in a few hours.

I also highly recommend the Mercedes Benz museum. You'll see some of Ferdinand Porsche's designs there too.

And if you have time, go to the Prototyp Museum in Hamburg. That have a lot of early Porsche history there.

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Forman »

Nate, You didn't mention how you're traveling but if you use public transportation in Stuttgart you can purchase a one day, all day ticket for two for 9 euros. The train will take you to both museums and it is possible to see both in one day. The city also has a wonderful central market. Also, for great German food and beer try the Paulaner.
Bob Forman

Nate Feduska
356 Fan

#6 Post by Nate Feduska »

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! I think I'll hit both museums and spend a little more time at MBZ, I mean hey, MBZ currently out numbers Porsche in my garage 3:1 so it only seems fair. Bob, I will be taking the train to Stuttgart and will try to check out the Paulaner between museums.

Prost,

Nate

Pascal Zundel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Pascal Zundel »

I concur with advices above. See both - easy in one day - and spend more time at the MB one that is absolutely outstanding.