Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Trying to finish Carrera coupe 58367 before I die!

#721 Post by Justin Rio »

After about a 2 month back track I am finally just about back to even on this damn rear fender. My partial fix and repair patch did not turn out to my satisfaction so I had to scrap it entirely and replace most of this fender with an original donor from my coupster project. I created a lot of additional unnecessary work for myself but I had to grind through it to make this this fender right again or at least to the best of my ability so I could live with it. Below are the basic progress photos. More details and additional photos can be seen here:http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=426 orABCGT.com
Attachments
The more I fussed with the original repair the worse it became and before the session was over I put my fist in it out of frustration over all the time and effort lost. It was a done deal after that so I began fitting this new donor fender which was the original from my '56 coupster project. A ton of time to both prep and repair this new fender and to get the rest of the car ready to accept it.
The more I fussed with the original repair the worse it became and before the session was over I put my fist in it out of frustration over all the time and effort lost. It was a done deal after that so I began fitting this new donor fender which was the original from my '56 coupster project. A ton of time to both prep and repair this new fender and to get the rest of the car ready to accept it.
I had cut this fender short  years ago so it required both a profile and bottom extension to be welded on first.
I had cut this fender short years ago so it required both a profile and bottom extension to be welded on first.
It was tough to walk by this hole everyday for a few weeks.
It was tough to walk by this hole everyday for a few weeks.
Many, many  test fits. Just about ready for a final trim here.
Many, many test fits. Just about ready for a final trim here.
trimmed and tacked on here.
trimmed and tacked on here.
Of course I had to relead the entire jamb and rocker joint. Yet, more extra work...
Of course I had to relead the entire jamb and rocker joint. Yet, more extra work...
I spent about 5 hours over several sessions ever so slowly stitching these two pieces together. Joint has been filed and plannished here.
I spent about 5 hours over several sessions ever so slowly stitching these two pieces together. Joint has been filed and plannished here.
Sealed in DP40 a few swatches of filler to catch the obvious stuff and a test coat to see where it was at.
Sealed in DP40 a few swatches of filler to catch the obvious stuff and a test coat to see where it was at.
First test coat last night. overall shape and reflection across the door gap is there but a bit more tweaking and block sanding yet to go. Just glad to be back at almost even at this point. Thanks for reading this! Justin
First test coat last night. overall shape and reflection across the door gap is there but a bit more tweaking and block sanding yet to go. Just glad to be back at almost even at this point. Thanks for reading this! Justin

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#722 Post by Steve Harrison »

Put your fist in it? Yes, that's exactly how I felt when right at the end I buffed through finish paint for the second time on the coupe. :x I had my foot reared back, and I thought,...I'll kick...you bastard!,..but I stopped, thankfully, set the buffer down, and walked away for a piece.
Saved me weeks of time, but if it had been metal work like you were facing, I might have done it knowing it was then coming out anyway. Must've been satisfying! I'll say there were many times I felt like doing the same thing.

What I like about you and your project is that you don't get disablingly discouraged. I mean, some folks do repairs, then aren't happy, then start the redo, and then basicaly peter out or give up. Not you! Always moving forward,..even if after a slight retreat.
This car OWES you! many many good miles...and soon it seems!

Antonio Garcia
356 Fan
Tag: Meanwhile, back at the farm...

#723 Post by Antonio Garcia »

Justin,
What welder are you using?
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein
'64 356 Signal-Red SC Coupe
'66 Early 3-Gauge 912
'65 VW Beetle
'65 VW Based Speedster Replica

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#724 Post by Justin Rio »

I sure did Steve, it was a culmination of the loss of time and effort I had spent on it previously and All the time I knew I had yet to commit to dig myself back out just to wind up even again! :x It was my period on the end of this sad attempt which I knew would close the door forcing me to install the replacement panel. Not to mention it just felt good to beat it since it pissed me off so badly..
Thanks for the nice words, What keeps me going at this point is that I am way too close to push it to the side now. Had I been further off a break may not have hurt but I am also 25 years behind schedule on it and more lost time is not a luxury I can afford to myself any more.

Subtle waves and ripples along the right side are still being eliminated. Two PIA's in particular on each side of the door but its ever so slowly taking shape but not without a fight of course. A few photos below with more details here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=474

Also just finished having the mains on my POLO-motor machined and then hand polished for windage. A few shots below but I have started a dedicated thread for just this motor: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--M ... 58367.html
Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
Hey Tony I'm using my faithful old Miller 251 which I've had since I outfitted this shop. I'll give you a call, I have lots of scrap steel you can practice on.
Hey Tony I'm using my faithful old Miller 251 which I've had since I outfitted this shop. I'll give you a call, I have lots of scrap steel you can practice on.
Mains were machined first by my friend Bill and hand finished the rest of the way
Mains were machined first by my friend Bill and hand finished the rest of the way
Might be only good for 1-2 additional HP but every little bit helps...
Might be only good for 1-2 additional HP but every little bit helps...
One of my troubled areas is a slight peak at the fender edge distorting the reflection
One of my troubled areas is a slight peak at the fender edge distorting the reflection
Slight repeated tapping and follow up long boarding until its uniform.
Slight repeated tapping and follow up long boarding until its uniform.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#725 Post by Steve Harrison »

Is that a Snap On Blue Point 8 oz? If not, it's a damned close approximation.
No finer "finish work" hammer in the world. I got mine my first year in aircraft mechanics school and dread the day I have to rehandle it. Being a part time hobby blacksmith I own over 30 hammers,...but when it counts,..and you've got to have the right feel,..that's the one I reach for.

You are indeed close on finishing. GOGOGO!
Yes, I am not above cheerleading, haha.

I also have to comment that I like your "third hand" shots where it appears you can hold the hammer, the wood buffer piece, and the camera,..all at once. I've had to do that myself at times for work progress pix and it's fun when it works out eh? The hammer clamps the wood piece in this one, and it's a nice action shot.
Attachments
snap on blue point.jpg

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#726 Post by Bill Sargent »

Justin,

I have lost your email address - I hope you can assist me with some photos of the metal profile that accepts the rubber seal for the carrera motors. The metal profile (like a C with flat back) is located around the sides and back of the carrera engine tray in the engine compartment. I am looking for detailed photos of entire length of the profiel on the tray. You can reach me at the email on my profile. Thanks in advance for the help.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#727 Post by Justin Rio »

Careful with that hammer Steve... that's final paint right? :) I looked at my hammer and its made by prototool. Though not a fancy snap-on version it was part of my old mentors collection so its very sentimental and still just as handy. Congratulations on actually finishing and driving your car, Well done! I watched your video the first time you fired her up.. very cool! Now, have you cut those extra-long exhaust tips back yet? If so how many times did you scob or burn your ankles/shins on them before you did?
Congratulations once again!

Bill, great catching up with you and thank you for all the suggestions and help recently. Appreciated!

I've decided to follow Bill's lead a bit and build a Faux-cam out of my Polo-motor for my car. Just recently purchased the entire 4-cam generator assembly complete minus the shroud tin from Peter Hofmann at classic parts in Germany. Below are a few shots of that. More photos and details of it can be seen here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--M ... 6&start=24

Final paint beginning with the bumpers started this week and though I am several years behind schedule its all the more satisfying to be at this stage officially. More updates as painting and motor work slowly continues. Thanks for looking! Justin
Attachments
Since I can't shoot metallic on with satisfactory results my neighbor and buddy Rick pictured here has generously volunteered is time and talent to help me. getting ready to shoot the bumpers here.
Since I can't shoot metallic on with satisfactory results my neighbor and buddy Rick pictured here has generously volunteered is time and talent to help me. getting ready to shoot the bumpers here.
They turned as best as I could hope for with a uniform pattern and not a "tiger strip" to be seen. BUT we missed a lower corner on each bumper at the tip as they turn inward. The base was just fogged there without solid coverage. The clear was already on at discovery so no choice but to sand and try again.
They turned as best as I could hope for with a uniform pattern and not a "tiger strip" to be seen. BUT we missed a lower corner on each bumper at the tip as they turn inward. The base was just fogged there without solid coverage. The clear was already on at discovery so no choice but to sand and try again.
Beautiful and accurate reproduction complete right down the rebuilt 12V generator.
Beautiful and accurate reproduction complete right down the rebuilt 12V generator.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#728 Post by Justin Rio »

Getting small nagging parts into final coat of silver.
Attachments
Dash now in final color. This allows me to seal the cabin off in anticipation for the final painting of the body.
Dash now in final color. This allows me to seal the cabin off in anticipation for the final painting of the body.
My buddy Rick really laid down the flake nicely and could not be happier with it.
My buddy Rick really laid down the flake nicely and could not be happier with it.
Another run of parts is off to Victor Miles as well. The pile of parts to be restored is really dwindling at this point.
Another run of parts is off to Victor Miles as well. The pile of parts to be restored is really dwindling at this point.
Finished this batch out a couple of weeks ago. Only the body plugs and steering box access cover remain; then its just the big stuff like doors, lids and the body skin.
Finished this batch out a couple of weeks ago. Only the body plugs and steering box access cover remain; then its just the big stuff like doors, lids and the body skin.
Now in process of thinning out the bodywork as much as possible without destroying the established body line  in prep for the sealer.<br />Thanks for looking! Justin
Now in process of thinning out the bodywork as much as possible without destroying the established body line in prep for the sealer.

Robert Petitt
356 Fan

#729 Post by Robert Petitt »

love it Justin. even has a few parts that were orginally on my cab..
Lifelong 356 addiction..
1957 t1 Cab
1967 911s
1971 911t

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

#730 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Justin,
Coupe line up and gabs looking better than factory...if factory spend the time you have ...They would have gone broke....:-)
Lovely work....

On the Carrera shroud ,please make sure #3&4 cylinder side will have different angle on 911 engines and 616 356 engines
and #1&2 cylinder section will have longer air guide wing ( Original Carrera Shrouds are short and different angle, will loose air force )
These modifications we do in our Carrera Shrouds we build. Each Engines have different length and angle of air guide wings to get the air
with max force to the cylinders and cylinder heads. Just a note for you.
Best,
Ibrahim Kuzu
4 Cam Cooling Parts
Dallas,TX

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#731 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you very much Robert! You must be talking about the gravel screen/fender brace with your chassis number on it. Tell you what, I'm all for getting bits and pieces back together with the car they originally came from. If you have or can round up another original tank screen I'll be happy to trade with you. Again, I just need it to be original and in like condition.

Hi Ibrahim, Thanks a lot! I also appreciate the tip concerning the internal veins. Its going to be a real work in progress as it goes but I will most certainly keep what you said in mind. Thanks again you guys! Justin

This coupe should have been painted months ago but my side job Coupe into Speedster project eats a lot of my off time now but I do try to set at least an hour a day so it continues to crawl forward. I'm just finishing up the last bit of back masking and will have it sealer hopefully by next week. I'd like to get it into finally paint soon as the motor for this project is beginning to really move forward and will most certainly be taking up a lot more of my attention. Below are a few updated shots and links to each if you'd like to see more. Thanks for stopping by! Justin

Polopolus Engine build for this car: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--M ... 6&start=66

Coupe into Speedster project: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... =846#29417
Attachments
A lot of free time for my car lost between this side project and my day job.
A lot of free time for my car lost between this side project and my day job.
test fitting New 4-cam fan shroud  from Germany on my 2.7 liter 964 polopolus motor build for this project.
test fitting New 4-cam fan shroud from Germany on my 2.7 liter 964 polopolus motor build for this project.
Final masking almost complete and ready to go to sealer then.....Final paint. Finally.
Final masking almost complete and ready to go to sealer then.....Final paint. Finally.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#732 Post by Justin Rio »

Bodywork and final paint job Completed. :D A couple of years behind schedule but this big milestone finally reached as of last week. Had to enlist the help of a good friend a fellow car builder-painter to ensure the new Silver paint went on like its supposed to. He did not disappoint, I'd realistically still be wrestling with the metal flake with mixed results at best. Turns out I'm more suited to a sanding block than a spray-gun; at least in dealing with metallic paint. Its certainly not perfect by any stretch but the car is at least to a level that I can stand to look at on a daily basis. The job of course did not go smoothly or as planned but perseverance eventually put it to bed. This long and sorted journey begins here: http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... &start=690

If you care to see more photos and details. The actual fun part of putting this car back together can actually begin. The next logical step will be a new headliner and or wiring harness installation.
Attachments
Sealed, prepped and ready to go into the booth
Sealed, prepped and ready to go into the booth
In silver base
In silver base
Clear coated and finally finished.
Clear coated and finally finished.
The true test of this paint job, direct sunlight. Couldn't have been happier with it.
The true test of this paint job, direct sunlight. Couldn't have been happier with it.
All ready to come back home.
All ready to come back home.

ryan base
356 Fan

#733 Post by ryan base »

hi justin i'm trying to think of good words to compliment your project. pleasing might be an understated word. bitchin also comes to mind . seems like it's a milestone reached. congratulations fits. thanks for sharing

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#734 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Ryan, I really appreciate that! Getting it in final color was a major miles stone as it means the corner has finally been turned to where I can actually begin assembling car after all these years. Not to mention the fact that I am just totally burned out on block sanding on this body; it was more than time to move on. Though I'm still in process of color sanding it :? but I can at least see the end of it coming. Thanks again! Justin

1/22/16

Slowly color sanding the finish and to break up that monotony assembling and installing what I can. New headliner has been installed and am just getting the front suspension set. More photos and details of that work here:
http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Resto ... =864#32062
Attachments
Slowly color sanding a section at a time.
Slowly color sanding a section at a time.
New headliner from AI installed.
New headliner from AI installed.
Sail panels proved tricky to keep wrinkle free so being my first headliner it took me a bit longer than it would a pro.
Sail panels proved tricky to keep wrinkle free so being my first headliner it took me a bit longer than it would a pro.
New arms and spindles set with initial installment of the brakes.
New arms and spindles set with initial installment of the brakes.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#735 Post by Adam Wright »

Justin Rio wrote:Bodywork and final paint job Completed. :D A couple of years behind schedule but this big milestone finally reached as of last week. Had to enlist the help of a good friend a fellow car builder-painter to ensure the new Silver paint went on like its supposed to. He did not disappoint, I'd realistically still be wrestling with the metal flake with mixed results at best. Turns out I'm more suited to a sanding block than a spray-gun; at least in dealing with metallic paint.
It's always good to follow the code of Clint, "A man's got to know his limitations."

The car looks great.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.