door locks, 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Menche
356 Fan

door locks, 356C

#1 Post by Dave Menche »

My door handles and locks are missing on my restoration project, a 356C. (Long story of a crooked body shop causing lots of damage and missing parts, nearly killed the project). I would like to know if reproduction key locks ones are sold, and if they are any good (I recall hearing that some Asian ones are/were made, but they are not good quality and have poor fit).
I have seen reproduction handles but the key locks don't come with them.
Does anyone have a source for some good key locks? Are used key locks form a 356 the only way to go? Would the key lock from a later car such as a 912 or 911 fit in the 356C handle? (I assume they might be easier to come by than 356 key locks).

Also if I have to find a used one from a 356, what should I look for, are 356A, 356B and 356C key locks interchangeable? and are the left and right side the same or different for the key locks?

I would prefer to be able to have the key locks keyed to match my ignition switch which may exclude the use of reproduction or ones off a different car.

thanks!!! :wink:

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: door locks, 356C

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I got new ones from Neil Goldberg contact through: http://www.Neils356.com I purchased a new ignition switch also at the same time. One key works all.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

You may want a kit to replace the door lock cylinders and the ignition switch like this one http://www.nlaparts.com/store/ignition- ... -3177.html

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#4 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Brad is also trying to find a good T1 lock cylinder receiver to copy and help those of us with earlier cars. Does anyone have one to send him that isn't cracked. I for one would buy a couple of complete sets.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

Thanks, Jerry. Specifically, I'm looking for a sample of the '57 only version of the T-1 "square" handle.

Dave Menche
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Menche »

Brad I then take it you make the parts for NLA Company, or do you make them for sale independently?

So I'd need to buy not only a handle but the lock receiver and the lock cylinder, is there anything else that goes with the handle?, oh and yes a key!

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

Brad Ripley wrote:Thanks, Jerry. Specifically, I'm looking for a sample of the '57 only version of the T-1 "square" handle.
Brad I have a collection of handles.
What are the numbers associated with the handle you need?
Are there more than one type of square handles?

Norm

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Neil »

Brad Ripley wrote:You may want a kit to replace the door lock cylinders and the ignition switch like this one http://www.nlaparts.com/store/ignition- ... -3177.html
I have this set and its nicely made. Ironically, after installing the ignition switch but not the door locks, I lost my only set of keys. As I write this, I am waiting for a AAA locksmith to arrive and pick the door locks so I can get back into my car!
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#9 Post by Rick Albro »

Brad, I have a 57 only door handle that you can borrow if you wish. I have looked at how one might modify one of the earlier handles but if you can have these cast that would be a wonderfull contribution the to the community.
Attachments
differences.jpg
Last edited by Rick Albro on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#10 Post by Brad Ripley »

To answer Dave Menche: I am an employee of Stoddard NLA, LLC in our west coast office in Reno, NV . I still do some product development work; most product work is done now in Highland Heights, OH.

To answer Norm Miller: I am looking for a sample of the '57 only handle casting. See below for a photo comparison of the three types of handles. Note: the original photo was posted by Rick Albro here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36688&hilit=door+locks , I cropped the photo somewhat an added captions.

>>>>>>>> no need -- Rick just posted his photo !!!!! before I could post this !
Attachments
DoorHandle 57 ionly.jpg

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Brad Ripley »

Rick, I would like to examine one of those handles. I understand Tony Euganeo was able to somehow modify the early handle to take the K-100 lock parts. -- would want to avoid making a new casting just for the "57 cars.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rick Albro »

One last issue is the chirality of the handles for the newer version this is in how the buttons and slide plate are assembled... the preA handles only have one handedness. I have a series of images on these differences... perhaps brad has them available to post? Okay so the lock cylinders and buttons for the 57 only and the newer handles come in left and right handed combinations. Now if you want a really good puzzle it is possible to change the chirality of the cylinder button combination by changing the orientations of the internal parts. "This demonstration is left for the students!" How ever if you get this wrong and mange to assemble the handles they do not move! I bought a set off of EBay once that was reassembled wrong and stuck! If you do not have a lot of patience this is why some things are better left to those who do this task all the time. If the verbiage for the posted image does not make sense I will try to make clarifications based upon comments that I receive, this is a process that is much easier to show than to describe in words.
Attachments
Orientation.jpg
Last edited by Rick Albro on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brad Ripley »

Back to Dave -- you can find all the door handle parts here http://www.stoddard.com/356-1/door-parts.html Remember: lock cylinders and the receivers are handed parts, i.e., lefts and rights. The main handle casting is not handed -- but originals are marked on the end R or L, plus the K-number of the lock originally installed.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#14 Post by Rick Albro »

Brad, contact me at albro0356@gmail.com

Dave if you need help with your door handles I am happy to help. -Rick