Abarth Exhaust thread

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Al Zim
356 Fan

Abarth Exhaust

#31 Post by Al Zim »

All I can remember is what a big pain in the Butt the were to install new. Typical Italian, the flangers were too thick, the were not flat the pipes did not line up properly with the heads, they had to be tweeked with a torch and the systems were heavy. I just finished putting a engine in a convertible D with a sebro system and fought it all the way. The pipes did not want to clear the lowere rear pan. They looked neat but required alot of fitting hopefully the NLA china version will not have these problems. al zim
It is unfortunate that more of you'all did not work on these cars when they were new. You should have seen the junk that was available then. As far as I am concerned the Abarth exhaust was one of the. When parking your car put a flashing light on a pole behind the Abarth muffler so you will not be sued when a sharp edge of the pipe cuts someone foot off.
Last edited by Al Zim on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#32 Post by Jim Neil »

Larry Markham said he had to fight with my Stebro to get it installed, seems to be a common problem.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Gianni Ripoli
356 Fan

Abarth Exhaust thread

#33 Post by Gianni Ripoli »

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#34 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Gianni,
Great pic of those 4 exhausts. I recognized the exhaust at the 2 O'clock position as the 912 model & the exhaust at the 7 O'Clock position as the P1000. The exhaust shown at the 5 O'clock position looks Abarth like, I may have seen this one at least once before. However, the one in the 11 O'clock position looks more like a sport exhaust. Is this truly an Abarth? Curious minds would like to know...

Great pic and thank you for sharing!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Bruno Vercelli
356 Fan

#35 Post by Bruno Vercelli »

Frederic Prince wrote:
John Willhoit wrote:The sound is great. Based on the HP/Torque curve it's typical of what you get from an exhaust with more back pressure. I'm not sure why there is more back pressure but it's probably not from the small pipes, more likely something in the internals. I would think the exhaust would work fine on a Normal or Super, but probably not on a S90 or SC, especially a big bore with a cam.
what would you use for a big bore street engine or a super 90 (with great loud sound, not too much like racing sound) ?
thanks
fred ;)
Hi Fred,

If you want you can hear the sound of mine, a rusty original Abarth on my 60 coupe ;-)
Why not next week?

Cheers

Bruno

Victor Van Phan
356 Fan

912 DREAM ENGINE REBUILD

#36 Post by Victor Van Phan »

Hello All:

I am thinking about placing a 912 motor in an A car.

My goal is to keep things "looking" stock but want more power and performance.

I was hoping to get some collective thoughts from everyone - experts/layman (Al, Allan, Tom, Brad, Ed, John, Roy, Rick)- as to what they would use or have done in the rebuild (ie cam, rods etc) of a 912 going into a A car.

Would I have to do anything to the stock transmission?

Lastly, any recommendations on an exhaust to go with the 912 motor rebuild.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Email me directly or post to the board

Victor #16255

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Eddie Culver
356 Fan

#37 Post by Eddie Culver »

Hey all,
I need a little help. I just picked up a 63B Super in a basket. Numbers matching car. It has been in a garage since 73. It came with this exhaust pictured. I was told it might be an Abarth. How do I tell and whats it worth?
Thanks

Gianni Ripoli
356 Fan

Exhaust

#38 Post by Gianni Ripoli »

Eddie:

I posted the photographs of the four exhaust. If you establish a value would you let me know?
Thank you,
Gianni

euromediaag@aol.com
727 692 1548

#39 Post by Guest »

Eddie Culver wrote:Hey all,
I need a little help. I just picked up a 63B Super in a basket. Numbers matching car. It has been in a garage since 73. It came with this exhaust pictured. I was told it might be an Abarth. How do I tell and whats it worth?
Thanks
The tailpipe straps are a mystery, that might be Stebro. There were so many aftermarket makers it's hard to say unless tags (per Abarth & Ansa) are attached. Mark is the maven with these things, perhaps he can identify... it does look sorta like #4 in Gianni's post. Value? Determined by the seller and buyer at time of transaction. :D

leslie aerts
356 Fan

#40 Post by leslie aerts »

what is a normal price for the exaust on the movie?

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LxcXUj2lHSQ

thanks

#41 Post by Guest »

leslie aerts wrote:what is a normal price for the exaust on the movie?

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=LxcXUj2lHSQ

thanks
The handful that have appeared over the past year haven't had "normal" sales prices, Leslie. There were several models produced over the years which can confuse the issue: VW or Porsche application?
Prices have ranged from $400 for the type in the condition shown in your movie (sold on the Samba a few months ago) to opening bids of 900 Euro on eBay this past May (see page 2 of this thread). The repops sell for $500 and up, so I'd guess that's considered right for a genuine item in need of restoration.

Abarth P912

#42 Post by Guest »

Since my earlier post with image of a BMW 700 Abarth exhaust got bumped due to non-356 content, I deleted it. I'll post that and a super rare Nardi exhaust later.
Instead here's a P912 ad and pics of an example I restored awhile ago. Not sure if this will ultimately be installed on my T6 Notch... looks good though.
Anyone know of a source for complete water transfer decal sets for Abarth mufflers? I found a shield to apply, but not the others.
As many well know, these look and sound cool but do little for performance. They also are notorious shop dangers (watch yer shins!) and hang out far enough to be a problem on steep driveway transitions and curbs. Italian design.... sheesh. :P

It's all about da noize.

mikeschramm
356 Fan

#43 Post by mikeschramm »

Bringing back an old thread.
My T5 has the Abarth Model P-912 as pictured above.... I dont know If I really like yet, it just sticks out so far from the rear. Im posting some pictures so you can see just how blatant it is.
I see in the post above where the exhaust has been repainted. What paint product is available that will withstand exhaust heat?..... or is it just restored and not to be used. Does the new paint just burn off with use?

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Abarth Paint

#44 Post by Alex Mestas »

I found VHT flameproof Paint in a rattle spray can to be te best. Good up to 2000 degrees.
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

#45 Post by Guest »

Mike, I notice yours has the driveway mods (scuffed undersides) all of these seem to get! Anyway, use VHT as Alex suggests... it's what you see on my restored example above. Bead-blasted exterior and blown through with the air hose, no rattly stuff inside. Heavy compared to a stock exhaust and of questionable performance benefit. Sound great though.

BTW, though I applied a water-transfer decal to finish it off, it's wrong and will probably burn off fast. I think they're supposed to be tampo printed foil.
And if not, finding what they DID use will be nearly impossible.