Painting my barn find 356C

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

Painting my barn find 356C

#1 Post by Darryl Deppe »

My car was found in a garage in Portland, Oregon in 2007 partially disassembled and with a stub of a connecting rod poking through the engine block. Its license plates had the same year as my first driver's license, 1976. There was no rust on the car but it had been through some amateur bodwork at some point because when I crawled under the car, I could see the dents from the back side where pink BONDO had "oozed" through screw holes from a slide hammer. It had also been hit in the front right corner so the nose is slightly tweaked.

I got her home, put a rebuilt 1963 616/15 non-matching number engine in her and back out on the road. I also pulled out all the rotting red leather upholstery and did a quick rehab of the interior. A severe engine leak kept me from driving her much so I let her sit, waiting for that expensive bare metal restoration someday.

One morning I woke up and thought, let's build a hot rod twin plug, high performance engine for her and give her a quick Maaco paint job. Well, I've finished doing a proper repair on the nose and rocker panels but will leave the "sleeping BONDO lie" on the rest of the car. Currently I'm block sanding after all the bodywork repairs and a coat of filler primer and will find a shade of Maaco metallic silver that comes closest to "6206 Silver Metallic" as the COA confirms was the original color.

All the pieces for a twin-plug, big bore engine have arrived from Precision Matters, Shasta, Carrillo, Scat and the machine shops so I hope to have a nice "driver" quality car to put them in by the time summer comes. My friend suggested the name "Mr. Potato Head" and that I restore the original bumpers in addition to fabricating nerf bars so I can go from stock to "outlaw" as my mood suits me. Right now I'm all about "outlaw" and like the looks of the car without bumpers.

I blog extensively (obsessively) on all my projects so feel free to check out my progress on http://www.darrylsgarage.com. I'll also post periodic updates here as I reach major milestones (today's is bodywork complete, paint prep begins).

Thanks!
Darryl

James Nelson
356 Fan

Re: Painting my barn find 356C

#2 Post by James Nelson »

Love the Saws-all painter shaker--where'd ya get that?

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#3 Post by Darryl Deppe »

James, that's a http://www.mixkwik.com

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#4 Post by Darryl Deppe »

I dropped her off at my local Maaco today with a spray-out card from Willhoit's of "6206 Silver Metallic" to computer match the paint to. $979 plus tax will give her a high build sealer, block sand, metallic color and clear coat matching the original factory color as close as they can. One more go around with the original 83,000 mile factory build and a second coat over the original paint. I made some little brackets to mount the torsion bar covers in the area of the fog lights so the painter wouldn't forget to paint them. I'm excited to see how it comes out and mount all the original unrestored chrome pieces back on her with new rubber seals. I also cut the rubber windshield and rear window seals back so a good coat of paint could hit under the window seal area and I'll rope in a new set of seals using the original trim and glass.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#5 Post by Paul Hatfield »

You know Darryl, I think you owe me a ride in that car! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#6 Post by Darryl Deppe »

I owe you two Paul! One in the 912 with all the sweet bling you sold me! :)

Cliff Hanson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Cliff Hanson »

Image[/quote]
Darryl, where did you get that tilt bed trailer? Is the tilt bed Aluminum? Do you know how much it weighs?
Cliff Hanson
1964 356SC

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#8 Post by Darryl Deppe »

Cliff, that is a $70/day rental available at my local independent rental yard. I'd buy one if I could just figure out where it's made, the owner has conveniently removed any maker labels to keep it a secret and us dependent on him! ;)

Eric duris
356 Fan

#9 Post by Eric duris »

Darryl,
How did the paint turn out?

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#10 Post by Darryl Deppe »

My 356C was finally painted yesterday at the local Maaco after paying them for 30 hours of labor to give the whole body a once-over filler primer block sanding by guys who do it for a living. Once again I'm reminded that I should stick with metal fabrication and let these guys do the critical stuff that shows up in the reflections. I purchased a spray-out card from Willhoit Auto Restoration of what the Glasurit match to the original "6206 Silver Metallic" should look like and let the painter use his collision shop know-how match it in the Sherwin Williams equivalent two-stage paint. Once all the paint prep was done, the boss let me come in and remove the doors, hood, engine lid and fuel filler door myself to paint all the hidden areas so I could only berate myself if I screwed-up or lost anything. I'm very pleased with the results, the color match is perfect and my expectations have been exceeded by an order of magnitude! It's also fun to see the enthusiasm the guys who patch paint jobs on Kias and Fords everyday get infected with when they get to do something a whole lot more interesting, lets just say I think I got way more than 30 hours of attention to detail.

Once the paint hardens over the weekend, it will get a cut and polish and then I'll haul all the doors and such home separately and do the reassembly in my shop. My goal of getting a very presentable "driver" quality paint job over all the vintage pink BONDO seems to have been achieved and now my summer will be filled with breaking in a fresh twin-plug high performance 1720cc engine!

Steve Swift
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Swift »

I have also used Maaco to paint my cars. Everything from my 92 Miata to a friends Big Healy. They paint for less than I would pay for the materials. One trick to a good paint job is finding a shooter with a "good fist". These guys spray all day and develop the technique to avoid problems. Also, a state of the art booth with heat helps. Great looking car. I am taking my new S-90 to a Maaco next week for an assessment.

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#12 Post by Darryl Deppe »

I stopped by my local Maaco this morning to drop off a couple empty Mason jars to store the leftover paint in at the suggestion of the painter. I also got to see how the cut-and-polish work was going and will be able to bring the car home on Thursday. The bumpers, rear deck lid, fuel filler door and hinge cover plates that attach to the A-pillar were done and I was able to bring those home today. I'm so excited with how everything is turning out. The hood paint had a little problem with "tiger striping" in a few places where the metallic particles in the paint didn't flow out because of the contour of surface and you could see where the gun had sprayed but that's due for a "re-shoot" in the next day or two and the painter isn't worried. It's the little details that make me happy, like the serial number and paint code plates on the hing cover looking like they were installed after the paint thanks to careful masking and the area under the grills on the rear deck lid being nice smooth paint with the last 3 digits of the serial number stamp showing up clearly, not bad for a "driver" paint job!

Darryl Deppe
356 Fan

#13 Post by Darryl Deppe »

Tonight I'm basking the the glory of having all the painted pieces and rolling car back safe and sound in my shop, ready for reassembly.

The painter has suggested that waiting to do the final color sanding and polishing of the paint until after I have the car together will allow it to cure and harden and produce a better result than rushing it now while it's still soft. Other than the odd "nib" there's nothing to really be concerned about, no runs or sags. The slightest trace of "tiger stripe" is visible on the passenger door and lower hood but only under artificial light and only when looking closely, under sunlight it's nearly invisible. Three resprays of the hood striving for perfection assures me that every effort has been made to deliver a quality paint job and at the price, I'm not going to hold their feet to the fire and be a jerk about it. If this goes like I hope, they'll be fixing rock chips soon enough because this is a "driver" paint job.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#14 Post by Spencer Harris »

Nice thread, Darryl.
Paint job looks beautiful. I'd say you owe the boys at Maaco a case of beer.
Have fun putting her back together!
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Daryl,
Nice color choice. My 1964 C has the 6206 silver metallic as ordered paint as well, but not nearly as nice right now as yours. Enjoy your car, it looks great!
Jon