Question of the day- 356 paint color

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hien Nguyen
356 Fan

Question of the day- 356 paint color

#1 Post by Hien Nguyen »

Hello everyone,
I am getting ready to paint my 58 porsche 356a in two weeks.
Check several paint shops and they cannot make paint code 5706- silver metallic.
Only later year 1962 and up are available such as paint code 6206 - also silver metallic.

Are there any difference between the two silver metallic ?

Warm regards, John

E Rutherford
356 Fan

Re: Question of the day- 356 paint color

#2 Post by E Rutherford »

John,
Hopefully some "painters" will chime in for the details. Here is some general info regarding paint codes and paint mixing.

When you pick a paint color, that color is a combination of several colors mixed together. So if you pick color "x", the paint shop looks up the formula in a book. It might be 2% "y", then 8% of "z" etc.

With that being said, you use that exact formula with a different brand and the color can be a completely different shade or maybe not even close.

So paint code 5706 is most likely going to look different with each brand of paint.

I would recommend first decide on a painter / paint shop. Then see what brand of paint they like to use, stand behind etc. If its not a brand you want to use and they won't spray your choice, then move on to the next shop. Once you find your painter and the paint product, then go for the color match of your choice. Nothing beats personal recommendations from other 356 owners in your area.

ed
klasse356.com

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: Question of the day- 356 paint color

#3 Post by Matthew Devereux »

The last time I look at silver paint samples there were hundreds to chose from. I would contact Wilhoit Restorations and order a paint sample. You could then take it to your local body shop paint supplier and have them computer match it.

http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/paintsamples.php
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe