Stolen - Million Mile 356 featured in August magazine

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
guy newmark
356 Fan

Stolen - Million Mile 356 featured in August magazine

#1 Post by guy newmark »

Hello all,

I need your help. My 356C was stolen on Friday evening. It is the "Million Mile" car featured on pages 38/9 of this month's magazine.

I have had this car since 1964. "Blue" is part of the family.

There is a reward for information leading to its return. If you hear of anything please contact our local police station - 310-726-7700

Thanks for your help.

Guy Newmark

Attachments
Rear view.
Rear view.
Front view -  bali blue, fawn interior
Front view - bali blue, fawn interior

E Rutherford
356 Fan

Re: Stolen - Million Mile 356 featured in August magazine

#2 Post by E Rutherford »

Here is some additional information
VIN No. = 220286
Eng No. = 71566

I am sure by now the plates are no longer on the car, but maybe Guy can provide the info.

ed
klasse356.com
Last edited by E Rutherford on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guy newmark
356 Fan

#3 Post by guy newmark »

Hello Ed,

The license plate is/was: WPN II

I thought Blue's vin number was: 220286

Guy

Miles Richardson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Miles Richardson »

So sorry to hear Guy. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled.

This makes me sick to my stomach.
Miles Richardson

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#5 Post by Craig Richter »

Where are you located? From the looks of the boats in the background you are near a port, and I can only imagine the worst. Sorry. I lost the cutest little '58 KG Convert this way too.
I HATE thieves.

guy newmark
356 Fan

#6 Post by guy newmark »

Thanks.

This has been my everyday car for over 40 years. I cannot put into words how I feel right now.

We are offering a $5000 reward for information leading to its return.

The car was stolen from my locked garage in San Pedro, CA very late on Friday. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Guy

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#7 Post by Stephan Mangin »

I just shared info via network in Europe

ray nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by ray nelson »

Guy
That is terrible news. Posting this on the Registry may help prevent resale in the US but the evidence suggests that this was a planned theft and the criminals targeted your car.
This is one of the side effects of the appreciating values of our cars (see above post "1959A") as thieves steal cars on order.
When I lived in Miami during the 1980's there was a big business in theft of expensive cars that were stolen to ship to South America. The cars were usually stolen on order, put in a truck and within hours were in a container and aboard a ship headed for South America. Once they get the car on the ship it's adios for good. Very difficult to get the police to do much at that point and customs isn't much help either.
Knowing that you're in SoCal let's hope "Blue" isn't headed for Asia, but was stolen by someone trying to turn it over here in the US.
Your pain is felt by all of us in the 356 community,
Ray

guy newmark
356 Fan

#9 Post by guy newmark »

Thanks!

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#10 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Just posted up a link to this thread and to the Petrolicious write up to my FaceSpace account. Hope you get the 356 back soon!
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wes Bender »

Craig Richter wrote:Where are you located? From the looks of the boats in the background you are near a port, and I can only imagine the worst. Sorry. I lost the cutest little '58 KG Convert this way too.
I HATE thieves.
You can determine the location by clicking on the "profile" button for that particular member. If they have put their correct location in their profile, you can see it. (Posters should probably indicate their location when asking for assistance, but you can get it through their profile if they don't.)

Hope you are successful in getting the car back, Guy.

Maybe there's a market for a cloaking device that makes a 356 look like a Ford Pinto.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Glen Hamner, Jr
356 Fan
Tag: '63 S/R project, '80 911SC, '11 Cayenne

#12 Post by Glen Hamner, Jr »

Hello Guy,

It seems to me your tub's theft and the others I've heard of since joining our List is something no one wants to acknowledge, yet happens. Soooo, that I may remain alert to the details of this theft, I would appreciate more information about the various parts and uniquely identifiable items of your tub that may be helpful in its recovery (part by part or as whole as possible).

It seems the least I can do for anyone on our list, is to become as informed as possible; Lord forbid this type of thing should happen to me or mine. I'd like to believe that if this tub or any of its parts were to turn up in Texas, those of us hereabouts would know well what to do. Those who steal from our community need to realize, sooner or later, they are going to come up short. How else could we better become known for keeping the faith?

Maybe the time has come to construct a dedicated thread or database of stolen vehicles and parts. Yes, I looked to see if such a thread existed; I found it difficult to believe it did not. Along with this thread we should be considering simple methods for having these parts easily identified to insure that this type of activity is less rewarding. I want to become acutely aware if any used or like-new part that I purchase has ever been stolen. Original parts are now sufficiently scarce that their continued circulation is a finite reality.

I've been collecting parts for my project since 2004. The project came to me because a previous owner had all the parts they removed from the tub during restoration prep stolen. I have no idea if any of the used parts I've purchased were stolen. Surely, there are things I can do to insure that what I'm buying has not previously been lifted from someone on our list.

This is a cumbersome subject, fraught with rabbit holes. With a bit of ingenuity, there can be an easy enough approach that could be employed to put a handle on what, at first blush, appears unfathomable. Anyone interested in participating in an offline ad hoc circle to study the issue and make recommendations to our board? I suspect we are a significant organization that cares for its own. Unlike our powers over national or international politics, we could all pull together on this issue to help one another by taking a proactive interest in the pain a few have chosen to inflict on our collective interest.

If you are sufficiently disturbed by this unfortunate event, drop me a note and lets find a way to take this unacceptable behavior to the next level.

Guy, I hope we can be more helpful than you ever anticipated. Law enforcement is certainly the proper authority, but we are the only eyes and ears that care about your circumstance and a network with which to bring home your tub.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

An excellent suggestion, Glen. In this case, the word went out to the List, local police jurisdictions and Facebook. Fliers were also handed out. It helps to se all the resources you can to locate a stolen car or parts.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

guy newmark
356 Fan

#14 Post by guy newmark »

Blue has been found!!

Thanks to everyone who spread the word. This car was saved by the Internet. A woman recognized the car from some "post on the internet".

Only damage appears to be the wires were cut under the dash. Evidently the thieves knew more about garages than hotwiring a car (thank god!)

Blue is resting comfortably at his mechanic.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#15 Post by Greg Bryan »

Fantastic! I love happy endings . . .
Greg Bryan