Calling All '59 356A Coupes w/ Black Knobs + Steering Wheels

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Vollmer
356 Fan

Re: Calling All '59 356A Coupes w/ Black Knobs + Steering Wh

#46 Post by Mike Vollmer »

Dan, These are the knobs that came on my 1956 Speedster I have owned for almost 40 years.
My car came with a tan steering wheel but no escoutcheons or hand trottle.
I remember a few years back that Brett Johnson had some interest on A cars with black knobs.
Maybe he can shine some light on this. Also do any of these cars have a COA mention of knob color?
Attachments
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1616 times

David Baugh
356 Fan

#47 Post by David Baugh »

This is a bit off topic, but unless it was a common occurrance at the time, may be of interest to the experimental color theorists. My 58 coupe #102592 has no color code. In fact there is no place for one on the plate. Could this have been how the factory designated experimental color cars? All over-spray indicates that this car has always been red, but perhaps a shade darker than the Guards Red that it now wears, but not Ruby Red.

Dave
Attachments
Paint code.jpg
When in doubt .... Gas it! 
'58 356A Coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#48 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Hi David,

Here is the same area in the '58 coupe documented in Neil's book.
Attachments
IMG_0037webshot.jpg
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Dan Haden
356 Fan

#49 Post by Dan Haden »

I don't know how to link another topic to this one, but in the interest of keeping all black knob information in one place I will mention this connection. A post on Jan 10, 2013 by Ed Nichols titled "? 1958 356a Cab FS on Pelican?" shows upon checking the photos in the links that this cab with chassis number 151241 has black knobs and steering wheel. If anyone is familiar with the history of this car and can comment on the originality of the black knobs, please chime in here. If the car came with these features, it would be the only cab I have heard of with them and the only 1958 car with them. The car currently has an ivory shift knob, but that is not definitive one way or the other.

Dan Haden
356 Fan

#50 Post by Dan Haden »

Again, to keep all information concerning these black knob cars in one place, I include here a recent message from Karl Schuenemann containing new information gleaned from the COA for his car.

Hey Dan,My coa came the other day and as one would have thought,the date is the same as Patricks,6\19\59. Also I noticed W. Nolte's car had chrome door tops,from the look of mine I would say they are of the same age as the rest of the chrome on the car and with the rest of the anomalies. Its my conclusion that they were factory chromed.I really wanted to see that on the coa but no such luck. So the other info matched engine, tranny, paint color and upholstery color. It did say cord. inserts but my old seat covers had a different shade of green vinyl for the inserts again it looked to me like they were original. Just thought I would let you know on the coa date. hope all's well in your world Karl

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#51 Post by Walt Nolte »

The COA date on mine is October 25, 1948.

Walt Nolte
59 A Coupe
walt nolte

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#52 Post by Vic Skirmants »

1948?? Wow, you have an early car!

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#53 Post by Walt Nolte »

OK, OK----October 25, 1958 for the COA. 1948 is the year of my birth, so must be old age when I type.

Walt Nolte
1959 A Coupe
walt nolte

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#54 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Born in 1948? Puppy. :P
Got you beat by three years; maybe almost 4? January, 1945

Dan Haden
356 Fan

#55 Post by Dan Haden »

Seeing a black 356A steering wheel on a thread about removing the horn button caused me to recall this old thread of mine. I wrote to Adam about that steering wheel and I will report here if it looks to be original, and I will report the chassis number of the car it came off of if he has it.

Since it has been over six years (!) since the original thread I thought I would bump it to the top of the list in case anyone can add to the number of black steering wheel/black knob 356As out there. I haven't heard any more on the subject since the last post of mine above.

For anyone interested in seeing one of these cars in the flesh I plan to have mine at the ECH in October in Ocean City.

Dan Haden
356 Fan

#56 Post by Dan Haden »

I am in the midst of getting my car ready for the ECH in Ocean City next week and was checking some facts here to put together a placard giving some information on my black knob 356A coupe. I noticed that I never followed up on Adam's reply to my query on the photo of what looked like a black steering wheel. After a bit of searching to find what car of the many he has that I was asking about he answered that there was no way that wheel was originally black. He said it had had a hard life and only looked black because of all the grime on it.

I will take this opportunity to ask again for any new information on black knob A cars. I will post anything that I receive.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the boardwalk next week. Look for the Condor Yellow A coupe to find me.