Front license plate mounts - no holes needed

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Adam Johnson
356 Fan

Front license plate mounts - no holes needed

#1 Post by Adam Johnson »

Here's a project for those not wanting to drill holes in the bumper to mount a front license plate. Once installed, your plate will appear to be mounted on old factory 356 plate mounts.

For my T1 A coupe, I wanted the look and mounting location of the old 356 Porsche upright front license mounts, but didn't want to drill holes in the bumper top.

I made this unit from a 48" long 1/8" x 1" bar stock, cut, bent, drilled, and powder coated. Assembled using stainless hardware and blue Loctite, it mounts with the bolts that hold the innermost bumper brackets to the bumper.

It took some trial and error in bending the uprights to the right angles so that the plate is upright just enough, but the license and bars don't hit the bumper or body.
Attachments
Parts.jpg
Assembled.jpg
Installed.jpg
Adam Johnson

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

Re: Front license plate mounts - no holes needed

#2 Post by Stephan Mangin »

Is it just sticked to the bumper with Blue Loctite ? No trouble with holes on the road or wind ?

Thanks

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#3 Post by Bill Sargent »

John Capello makes a very nice front license plate mount for A cars that mounts the plate upright in front of the bumper. Also a nice one for B - C cars that mounts it below the bumper. Neither require drilling any holes and they install in about 5 minutes. I believe John is on the list.

Bill Sargent
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#4 Post by Stephan Mangin »

Thanks Bill, I pm'ed him.

Adam Johnson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Adam Johnson »

Hi Stephan:

The long bar is hidden, and is mounted 'inside' the bumper. There it is secured with the two bolts that secure the centermost bumper brackets to the bumper.

I used blue loctite on the nuts and bolts that hold the license plate to the uprights and also on the hardware that holds the uprights to the long horizontal bar.

No need to drill any holes in the bumper. The long horizontal bar is hidden 'inside' the bumper.
Adam Johnson

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Stephan Mangin »

Very clever, I'll try to do. Thanks for the tip

Gary Carriveau
356 Fan

#7 Post by Gary Carriveau »

I failed to find John Capello in the membership list.
When I searched for previous posts I found one with an email address but when I tried to contact him at this address it failed.
Can anyone help by sending his contact information to me? (Off line because of the Registry rules, please).
Thanks,
Gary

'64 C Coupe
Gary W. Carriveau
'64 C Coupe

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#8 Post by Stephan Mangin »

John Copello, no Capello. I think this is the reason why

Stephan Mangin
356 Fan

#9 Post by Stephan Mangin »

John Copello can be reached at Copello Machining, 16880 American River Drive West, Sonora, CA 95370 (209.536.1449).

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#10 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Here's another way. We want four mounting points just ahead of the deco strip and equally spaced above and below. Take a piece of 6061 T6 aluminum about .060" thick and a little bigger than the license plate, and make an X shape with a wide center about 6" wide and 3"high. Bend it so that the deco strip just passes between the bracket and the back of the license plate. Put the four license plate mounting holes in the ends of the "X". Remove the deco strip from the bumper and see that there are two deco mounting holes on either side of the center, even though the deco only uses one of them. Put two matching holes in the bracket. Bolt the bracket to the bumper through the unused hole. Replace the deco strip after removing the rubber backing which would overlap the bracket. fasten the license plate to the bracket. It should ride just touching the front of the deco. Works for me. You can adjust the angle of the license plate to get downforce at speed if you are so inclined.
Harlan Halsey