VDO wind up clocks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Harrison
356 Fan

VDO wind up clocks

#1 Post by Steve Harrison »

There is always interest in these small body VDO clocks. And while I'm not one to dwell on the insane minutae of authenticity, I do think that something as broadly displayed as a clock should at least have some reasonable chance of having been original if it is present in the dash.

I have seen two different styles of face recently.

Both have a similar style of mounting with the bell housing and bolts/nuts, although the upper one looks like the mounting ring was cut for some reason, and the bolts are different.

Both have the same bezel style and winding rings.

What is the difference in these as far as year(s) or model of car or clock? Obviously the dated one gives it's year of production/use, but does the other one preceed, or come after that one? Were they produced in overlapping years? Also, what about the Jewels...does the second one have Jewels and just doesn't say on the face?
Are there even more variations out there? (Yes, I know about the Kienzle's from the opal being pawned off as 356 clocks) Interested in knowing more about the "legitimate" 356 small VDO's.
Attachments
Check out the circular writing in the middle.  Also note:  Five Jewels
Check out the circular writing in the middle. Also note: Five Jewels
Check out the date ...4/55
Check out the date ...4/55
Note the relatively plain dial.  Colors look like green/black, but different shade.  Could be computer weirdness again.
Note the relatively plain dial. Colors look like green/black, but different shade. Could be computer weirdness again.
Back side.
Back side.

Charlie White
356 Fan

Re: VDO wind up clocks

#2 Post by Charlie White »

Steve,

Here are a couple more Kienzle 8-day wind-up clocks. Your VDO clock is also a Kienzle. Not sure where my two clocks came from, although the larger one was "supposedly" from an airplane. The smaller one I think is the one someone has been refacing with a green dial and selling them on Ebay as early 356 clocks.

CW
Attachments
Clocks 007.jpg
Clocks 004.jpg
Charlie White

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Harrison »

Thanks for the comments Charlie, and the pix. Yes, I agree the small Kienzle you show is the exact one that the Ebay rip off artist has been refacing as original 356. The give away from the front is the bezel. The kienzle has a simple beveled bezel. The real VDO's have a stepped bezel, (and the giveaway from the rear is the different mounting style which Joris and others have pointed out also.)

I don't own either of the clocks I have pictured I just want to know more about them.
A friend has given me the opportunity to have a big face (pre a VDO) clock or a small face (glove box) VDO clock. I want to know more about the small face VDO's before I make a decision. My car is a 55.

George Walling
356 Fan

#4 Post by George Walling »

Well now you have my intrest stirred who is a supplier of a wind up or 6 volt electric clock. I'm thinking about one in the 55 Speedster, some thing about 2 1/16th to 2 1/2" diameter. George
George E Walling

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Guys, the problem with these clocks is that you better really want one, the top pic Steve used was the clock I sold last month for $1000. Like I said, you better really really want it.
Attachments
8dayclock.jpg
8dayclock.jpg (172.94 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Steve
Here is a clock that was made in the UK, goes in the dash and winds by turning the bezel in the front.
A great idea for an early dash clock.
Just to ad to your list.
John
Attachments
Smiths RR Clock.JPG
Smiths RR Clock.JPG (75.07 KiB) Viewed 3725 times

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hello John,
Nice to hear from you. I see where you guys out west are getting a bit of a rain soak eh?

Yes, I've seen those Smith's and they are really nice. They have that James Bond feel as well. 8) 8) 8)
But I am wanting to stay with German because if I'm going to go to the extreme of cutting a hole in my glove box I'd like it to be for a VDO. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of very pretty clocks out there..

Here is a pic of two that I actually do own. One is a New Haven and is a "Brass Era" car clock. The other is a NOS Hunter which has an Elgin movement and boasts on the box "radium dial", just like some of the VDO's say.
Either one would be cool in any car, but in my 55,...not quite right, especially if I have to cut the glove door. That's going to be the hardest part,...to mentally get over that. :shock: :D

I'm still wondering if anybody has a definitive run down on these small case VDO's as they apply to 356's?
Face styles, differences in years/applications? Dr. Johnson's book is some help, but with only one reference, kinda scant.
Any clock freaks out there?
Attachments
hunter and new haven.jpg

Charlie White
356 Fan

#8 Post by Charlie White »

Here is some information about early clocks from the factory parts books and accessory catalogs, from my soon to be released book: "Little Known Facts about 356 Porsches!"

"Two clocks are shown in the first 1953 Factory Parts Book below. The first is not
described in any detail but has part #356.61.033. The second, is described as
”Clock, USI 160” part #356.61.034 as of May 1952. Presumably this means that this
version was available beginning in May 1952. From the line drawing below the first
clock looks to be about the same size as the Speedometer and Tachometer."

"The 1955 Factory Parts Book shows the same clock, Clock, USI 160” as of May 1952
part #356.61.034, as is shown in the 1953 Parts Book, but only as “upon request”.
The 356-A Factory Parts Book does not show a clock at all, in either the early or the
later version! But the early 356-A Accessories Booklet does show an 8-day wind up
clock mounted in the glove box door!"

The book goes on to detail available information about factory accessory clocks for 356-B's and 356-C's.

After reviewing all the parts books and accessory catalogs available, there really isn't a lot of detailed factory information available about early factory accessory clocks.

CW
Attachments
From a 356-A factory accessory catalog.
From a 356-A factory accessory catalog.
Clock356A2.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
From the 53 factory parts book.
From the 53 factory parts book.
Charlie White

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mike Horton »

There were also small dia. clocks used in early KGs... I have one somewhere, but ?...

Mike (TX)
Mike

Scott Loraas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Scott Loraas »

The first clock pictured is in my hand right now, so I'll contribute any info I can.

My guess is that the the mounting ring was either cut or crudely modified by an owner sometime along the way as shown by the arrows below. The ring won't sit all the way down because of what appears to be a metal burr from being cut (circled). It has a convex glass face and no other markings other than those pictured. It's ticking away as I type, and seems to still keep time quite well. :)

The second clock pictured in the first post looks like it's either been restored or is a replica. The mechanics look almost identical, but it lacks all the markings and stamps. It has 8 circles in it's backing graphics (mine has 7), and the font is bolder.

Perhaps NHS or Palo Alto would have more info?

Scott Loraas
356 Fan

#11 Post by Scott Loraas »

Another clock posted in the registry classifieds:

http://porsche356registry.org/classifie ... up-cl.html

This one appears to to have a similar clock face as the second one in the first post, but different mechanics than any posted so far. It looks like the mounting screws have pulled through.

Omar Almada
356 Fan

#12 Post by Omar Almada »

Glad to contribute with any extra info or pictures to this thread before is sold.
53cabrio+56speedster

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Harrison »

Well,..after years of looking, I have finally gotten a glove box clock. I have learned a lot about these clocks in my searching, and I believe this is the right clock that would have come with my car, a 55 coupe. It's the same size as the small instrument holes (51 mm or thereabouts) in the dash, not the larger style you see around a lot (around 60 mm I believe) (Not to be confused with the "Big" clock that goes in the radio hole...) I know a lot of the larger diameter glove box clocks were added by dealers, or owners, but if I was going to perform the surgery,..cutting a hole in the glove box door(!),...I figured I'd better have the real deal, or forget the whole idea.

Well,..It has finally come to pass.
Ticking away nicely on the table,...soon to be mounted in the car.
Pre a clock.jpg
This is another of the same style clock that is in Pelias Anders car.
(Obviously a better picture taker than I)
Kienzle%20VDO%20Porsche%20356%20Pre-a[1].jpg

Doug Naef
356 Fan

#14 Post by Doug Naef »

Does anyone know what year range this clock might be. A friend was going to put it in his pre a dash but sold the car. Any information or experts I might contact would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
VDO3.jpg
VDO2.jpg
VDO.jpg

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jack Walter »

My original 1956 dash clock is marked Kienzle above the stem and VDO below.
Attachments
clock2.jpg
clock1.jpg